1997 BMW F650 ST Bluebird - Repair, maintain, ride.

Might be able to weld the cover and grind down. I've seen remarkable repairs on aluminum, even the crappy case cover castings.

pidjones said:
Might be able to weld the cover and grind down. I've seen remarkable repairs on aluminum, even the crappy case cover castings.

Good point. I think it will be an epoxy repair for the time being. I doubt I'll be able to get it welded up between now and next Friday, but I'm going to call around.

Top box mounted. May add some brass spacers to fill up the gap in the rack but we’ll see how it performs in the shakedown.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 190
canyoncarver said:
Nice, that's huge and water proof. How thick of plastic is the container bottom?

About 1/16”. I wish it were a bit thicker but I’m confident it won’t go anywhere.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/blue-magic-products-quiksteel-reinforced-epoxy-putty-2-oz-16002tri/11406385-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=11406385-P&adtype=pla&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhnwTh7OZqd06pyMIXpZKlBEctxQ5RelBIFyE0eQsRQO5Osed8Fc4rRoCY5YQAvD_BwE
I used this on my outboard motor to repair some corrosion. The guys at Rocky Mountain ATV are big on this stuff while ADV riding for on the trail repairs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

clem said:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/blue-magic-products-quiksteel-reinforced-epoxy-putty-2-oz-16002tri/11406385-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=11406385-P&adtype=pla&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhnwTh7OZqd06pyMIXpZKlBEctxQ5RelBIFyE0eQsRQO5Osed8Fc4rRoCY5YQAvD_BwE
I used this on my outboard motor to repair some corrosion. The guys at Rocky Mountain ATV are big on this stuff while ADV riding for on the trail repairs.

Nice, I was going to use good old JB Weld but maybe I will give this stuff a shot.

I'm going to change the oil after I re-torque the head so I will pull the side cover, clean the crap out of it and epoxy it up.

If you can't get that easy, JB makes one almost the same I have used with success. It's a puddy stick not the goopy liquid and you can really shape it and sand it etc. once cured.

New grips and re-torqued the head gasket tonight. Used some zip ties to keep the cam sprockets aligned.

Got a stripped bolt on the starter, I need to pull it out and see if I can cut some new SAE threads in it for now until I can helicoil it.

Attachments

• IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 192
Helicoils use STI taps. If you're not using a kit, make sure you get the STI tap for that screw size.

irk miller said:
Helicoils use STI taps. If you're not using a kit, make sure you get the STI tap for that screw size.

Thanks. I’ve never used them before, I think I’m going to grab a kit so I can have them around

Maritime said:
OURY are nice grips. I liked the set I had on the CX

I like them, I have them on the Van Van and had a set on the XL. For whatever reason, every time I order these grips they send me the ATV ones which are 1" shorter and don't fit on motorcycles. I think of the 4 times I've ordered them, I've gotten the wrong ones first 3 times lol.

Got a second wind last night and pulled out this superfluous, hacked up wiring.

The kickstand kill switch was already disabled but just sitting up under the seat. I’m going to solder the wires together and delete it properly, as it’s a common failure point.

I removed the relay from up by the headlight. The way it was wired leads me to believe it was an aftermarket alarm system as it was hooked up to the horn with a direct hot to the battery. Deleted it and hooked the horn back up properly.

The ground cable is probably extra but it connected the frame ground where the RR grounds directly to the negative battery terminal, which can’t be a bad thing. I’ll make a new one since it worked the way it was.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 199

More boring stuff today I pulled the carbs and gave them a quick once over. Glad I did as the hose that drains the water out of the gas cap was clogged and I think some water got into the carbs. Cleaned some crud out and put a new fuel line on. I'm going to clean the filter in the tank and there is an inline filter so I think I'm gonna forego the external fuel filter for now.

I cleaned out the airbox and airbox to carb boots as there was some funky shit growing in there. Not sure if it was dirt or mold or a combo of both, but I scrubbed the inside and got the carbs reinstalled before I had to call it a night.

I've been working on a 3D printed housing for the voltmeter to fit in the OEM clock space on the dash. Its damn near perfect after 6 iterations but of course I've run out of filament for the 3D printer so I had to order some more for the final version.

T-Minus 9 days til Ozarks. Still quite a bit to do but its mostly small stuff. Shooting for a test ride Saturday, Sunday at the very latest to work out any bugs.

Vinyl will be here tomorrow for the color change. I need to fill in some screw holes from PO and make sure everything is smooth.

Attachments

• IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
Back
Top Bottom