72 Honda CB450 "lucky 13"

I bought a seat off of E-bay but just wasn't happy with the size. It's a great looking seat but just too damn big. So I had to have that rebuilt as well. I used the original foam and had an upholstery shop trim and re cover it with suede. I asked for Alcantra figuring the automotive industry uses it so that should hold up. When all was said and done though they covered it with suede. I guess they don't have ears at this particular place. That's what you get when you don't do it your self. I am happy with the shape, size and overall outcome though so ill have to see how it holds up to the elements....sun etc - not rain if I can help it.

before the seat was finished and covered I brought it home to try on the frame. After confirming everything lined up correctly I gave it back to be covered.

finished seat....Ill show pics of the seat pan later if I remember lol

is that cap vented and where did you find it? i am using a nitrile glove and a hair tie for a gas cap but that weld in one looks much cooler.

yes it is vented. It's a pretty cool piece. I got it from dumbassbiker.com. It's part number is 82422174 - biker's choice makes it. I paid $71.00 after shipping.

Had the bearings for the wheels and swing arm installed. Should feel like a new bike again.....maybe

ready for paint now.

The painter asked me to get everything sand blasted to a fine rough surface for better paint adhesion. I found a grave stone place that would do side jobs. I gave them the two wheels first. They advised me to use painters tape and duct tape over that for anything that I wanted to save.

was taking measurements with the new headlight brackets. Also got some new Vortex clipons. Now I have to figure out what type of switches to use as I want to do away with the stock setup. I also want to replace the levers / brake reservoir. Anyone know of a swap that works with the stock cables?

Here is the frame work that my brother Tim and I started.

Tim does better in the cold then I do! ::)

No need to breathe in all that nasty old paint

Almost down to bare metal.....

We left the paint on the tail because that was next to get cut off.

weight savings!

next off was all the tabs to mount the stock seat including the lock mechanism.

Aluminum sheet cut down to make a seat pan.

almost ready.....now I need to figure out the rear section of the frame.

I had trouble finding someone who could bend 1'' steel tube so I had to improvise with this nasty old table that Tony was nice enough to let me BORROW! I'm sure he wont need it anytime soon. I cut two 90 degree elbows out and had the welder take care of the rest of the frame.

another design I had made to explain what was needed

And the finished product ;D

lol, well, I have taken a lot of photos since my purchase last summer. so I am trying to update this build with stuff that I already had done. I have almost everything painted at this point so now its time to put the puzzle back together.

Today we worked on the engine for a little. We did a dry run of assembly and found that we can use the bottom of the cylinder to push the piston with rings into the cylinder. Anyone have any thoughts on this? any danger to doing it this way? (we tried one and it worked) I was going to buy a ring compressor but there seems to be a nice angle at the bottom that wedges the rings into place. I didn't have my Clymers manual with me so I didnt have the specs yet for the rings and so on. Tomorrow we plan on finishing up the lower half. Also completed spray painting the rear shocks. Next winter I am going to buy some after market rear shocks and have the fronts re-done so spray paint works for now.

Early last month I had painted the front rotor. I am going to drill the rotor though so its not done yet. I know that rotor is very hard so I'll have to get some good bits.

Before

after the paint was wire wheeled away

After primer and paint

Honestly, I cant remember....on E-bay somewhere. I did a search and you can find other companys that sell them though. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-450-Motorcycle-CB450-CL450-Complete-Gasket-Set-/380230421307?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58877fcb3b

Got everything ready for sandblasting and then off to paint. This first batch is all painted black.

after everything was either sand blasted or hand sanded, laid out at the painter.

Some of the stuff that was finished first

some new rubber bits

some more black......all the spokes where placed in straws.

Mock up of front suspension, headlight, bars etc...

Wow man, I haven't checked this for like 2 pages and you've been rippin it up! Looks real good.

Last Friday and this morning we put a lot of effort into the engine. I hope to get the engine cranking over pretty soon.

Fridays progress

Today's progress.

The painted covers are a little greasy from our hands, should clean up though ......hopefully, lol
I have to bring the engine to a local shop to press the cam chain master link. I see some people do it themselves, I'd rather have the experienced tech do it then having myself destroy something.

Back
Top Bottom