Nice pair of Honda GB500s

spurlock

Well I'm feeling a bit over privileged here. I scored a 1990 GB500 w/10,700 miles on eBay about 5 weeks ago. Delivery was finally set for this past Sunday, but just two days before I spied an 1989 w/15K miles. Took a look and the condition was great and the price very fair so given the scarcity of parts for this rare model I grabbed it. A few weeks ago I had not even heard of a GB500, having left the Honda mechanic trade in 1980, 9 years before they came out. And now suddenly I own two of them! I'm pinching myself to make sure it is not a dream.

My initial justification for this splurge was that I could combine the best parts into one bike and sell the second. But even as I had those thoughts I knew I would never sell one. So after doing basic service and test riding both bikes I have had a fun few days in the shop swapping the best parts onto the '89 while also keeping the '90 bike complete. Here they are early in the process:

IMG_8236_zps283bd7eb.jpg

The engine of the '89 felt healthiest and mechanically quietest, so that will be my rider. The tires on the '90 were almost new and the spokes and rims cleanest, so those wheels came over to the '89 after spoke polishing and tensioning. The muffler on the '89 is perfect, while the '90 has a small gouge, but several of the painted parts on the '90 were better. So after some swapping, polishing, buffing, service and minor repairs the '89 is almost where I want it, needing only right and left crankcase covers to be stripped, buffed and clear coated. This hardly qualifies as a "Project," more like just routine maintenance but here are some pics.

On the '89 I pulled the front end apart, stripped, buffed and clear coated the fork lowers, then adjusted steering stem preload and cleaned up all hardware.
IMG_8240_zps97f21572.jpg

IMG_8251_zps92ccacc5.jpg

The '89 tank had a haze of fine scratches but was completely rust free inside, whereas the '90 tank had light rust but better paint. So I kept the '89 tank and rubbed it out.
IMG_8257_zpsf898d6b7.jpg

The finished (for now) product:
IMG_8256_zps59f378c0.jpg

I'm totally impressed with the handling and power of this bike. It has a power band a mile wide and with its balance shaft is smooth as silk. The seat height and weight are low, and the riding position feels perfect for my scrawny 5'5" body. We're getting lots of rain here now so when I get some clear days I'll post back with some glamour shots of the GB posing along our local twisty roads.
-Bill

Holy Shhhhhhhhh...... are you SERIOUS???

Let me know when you want to sell your spare, GB's been on my wish list for a lonnnnng time

WOW THAT IS AWESOME ! ;D
you ever ride that road folows on the west shore of berryesa, comes out at clear lake ?

I would LOVE to have a GB. I don't think many of them made it this far in land, I've only seen them in pictures. Very lucky.

xb33bsa said:
WOW THAT IS AWESOME ! ;D
you ever ride that road folows on the west shore of berryesa, comes out at clear lake ?

Have not been that far around Berryessa since 30 years ago on my old CB350F, but now that I have something bigger than my CB125 . . .

-Bill

I am so insanely jealous right now. I saw a beautiful example of a GB500 at Vintage Motorcycle Days this year and spent quite some time drooling over it.

coyote13 said:
Holy Shhhhhhhhh...... are you SERIOUS???

Let me know when you want to sell your spare, GB's been on my wish list for a lonnnnng time

Just saw this one:
1989 Honda GB500tt
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5018100899.html

Those are so nice. I had a XBR which is essentially the same bu t ugly. It rides the same though.

I would throw a tuned up dominator engine in the spare one, the stock engine is not that powerful.
Also get some rear shocks and progressive springs.

Back
Top Bottom