"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Try letting the left pipe go lower - under the right pipe. That way you can give it a wider radius and still be tighter to the motor. More like the A10 but in front of the downtubes. Tight front to back is less important than how wide the pipes are at the bends.

Getting exhausts right takes time to get them to look just right.

beachcomber said:
Unfortunately I have to come in front of the downtubes - but anyway ...here's today's effort ! The masking tape doesn't quite hold the line firm enough ::), but here's the rough plan. Amazing what you can do with some random bends, an angle grinder, some masking tape and some round pipe lagging [ inside ]. ;) I'm hoping to be able to ship the assembly off to someone who knows what they're doing to tidy it up and get it welded. I have a complete spare set of random bends for them to work with.

Back to the belly fairing next. I need to finalise the actual fuel cell size and shape then I'll get the mounting brackets made. Once that's all rigid I can mock up the various cosmetic closures and panels.

First of all this is a great looking build, keep it up :)
I love the pipe idea but agree with Teazer in his last post (above) about the crossover. The tighter you can get everything the better it is going to look. Also maybe you don't have a welder available but if you could actually tack it all together on the bike before sending it off to a welder you would stand a much better chance of it still fitting when you get it back. From experience even when you tack it up on the bike and take it off and weld it it will distort and some persuasion will be needed to refit it. Again keep up the good work.
Incidentely I'm planning a tracker project and the kz750 is my top choice for a donor bike at the point!

Get what you're saying guys ..... and thanx for the feedback. The problem I have is that I am currently limited to the random bends I have bought. I can't even cut and shut the tubing - as not only am I a crap welder - but currently ..... don't have a welder ! That's why the joints have pipe lagging inside and blue masking tape holding them more or less together !! The best I can expect is to give this set up to someone and say ..... "Something like that - but like this " ;)

For anyone who hasn't read the whole deal - time for a shout out to UK Mark who donated the heat shield for the Glemseck bike. Thanx mate. ;)

Attachments

• KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 004.jpg
    KZ mock up exhaust 28th MArch 2018 004.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 161
One of the lads on the UK KZ 750 forum has a 4" longer swingarm !! He has NO idea how he ended up with it - but it's a perfect fit.

Yep - that'll help once the Nitrous kicks in !!

Just ordered my special RAMSHOX. 25mm longer with an additional 1" of travel. That will suit both the stock swingarm and the 4" longer version.

Next week it's work on the belly fairing [ cosmetic ] and the mountings for the Manx "tank". Can't do the seat mounts until my pal comes back - as I need access to the red frame.

My 25% uprated clutch springs should also be finished.

I've tried all over my home town to get some media blasting done - nobody wants to know :'( - or it's Dick Turpin time. :eek:

Finally found a 90 ltr unit BRAND NEW for £80 [ delivered ] with all the relevant accessories and both of my hobby compressors have got enough guts to run it - deepjoy. ;D

Arriving next week.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 357
canyoncarver said:
I really need something like that too. Nice get Beach.

When I was in business I had two - a bench model similar to this one - and a GBFO Aquablaster. They've come down dramatically in price over the past 5 years or so [ good old Chinabay ]. I've tried out my soda blaster gun - and it is the bollox. Can't wait to get in the blast cabinet with the soda.

Bit more progress - switched to the long Weber intake manifold - makes it easier to get a nice angle on the foggers ;)- also makes plumbing simpler.

I took the grinder to the 7R seat base to get it fettled to the top frame rail. Where the "ski-jump" front is, I'll fair that in underneath to join the frame tube.

Also got a jump start on the belly pan closure panels. If my mates feeling well enough, I'll get one of his louvred alloy panels for the front. The rear needs a bit of fettling to make a neat closure around the side. I can only do one side at the moment - no way I'm going to try to swap the frame around on my own again ! I'm making rod and heim joint head steadies up - all measured and I've got the Rose joints in my stash.

I've positioned the neck for the Monza gas cap - just need a 60mm hole saw.

Attachments

• KZ work april 21st 015.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 015.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 154
  • KZ work april 21st 001.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 001.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 167
  • KZ work april 21st 003.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 003.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 161
  • KZ work april 21st 006.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 006.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 164
  • KZ work april 21st 009.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 009.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 158
Roughly like this .......... - the excess belly pan sides will be trimmed down to contour with the fillet panel. Once that's all fettled, I'll finalise the shape in matt and GRP filler - you get the idea. The back of the tank will now be at an angle to follow the closing panel and still keep as much capacity as possible by moving the tank back. Still be around 2.5 Imp galls. No room for battery now, but room for fuel pump ..... not decided on that yet - it might end up living under the "tank".

Still looking for 2 NOS foggers - good secondhand is fine.

Attachments

• KZ work april 21st 002.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 002.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 163
  • KZ work april 21st 001.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 001.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 155
Brodie said:
Looking good.

Thanx Brodie, generally pleased with progress ... bopped a drollock leaving some of the stuff at Brian's while he's in the US that I can't access for 3 months !! Futtox. At this rate I'll run out of jobs before he gets back !!

Teazer / Johnu .... I've got as far as I can with my headers using the random bends I bought. I've "tightened" up the bends and generally tidied up the system. No way I can get the solution you [ both ] suggest using random bends and no welder / welding skills. ::)

I've got a bit more work to do in the next 24 hours and then I'll take some pix and accept your critiques ! The right hand cross over pipe will have to be a clamp fit into the collector - otherwise I'm not going to be able to fit / remove the system !

I've also realised I've left some other essential bits round at my pal's garage - like the underseat electrics tray. However, with the long Weber manifold and 7R seat, I don't think the existing tray will work. I'll work on a plan B then check the original piece when my pal returns.

Fingers crossed ;D....... hoping my pal can bring this back in his hand luggage ! Only a 50bhp shot, but that's a starter for 10. ;)

Attachments

• nos kit.jpg
    nos kit.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 462
  • nos kit 2.jpg
    nos kit 2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 473
  • nos kit 3.jpg
    nos kit 3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 482
  • nos kit 4.jpg
    nos kit 4.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 485
canyoncarver said:
Man, you are not messing around.

hell no ........ like I said previously - this one HAS to be right. It will [ Board Tracker apart ] be my last project [ and maybe the Max Deubel homage sitter sidecar outfit ].

This is really the culmination of all my years of experience and knowledge in building Cafe Racers - and I want it to be the best I can. OK, NOS wasn't around in the 60's [ generally ] but Webers certainly were - I had 3 bikes [ 2 x race 1 x road ] all with DCOE Webers. After the few scares and false starts over the past few years, it's finally looking as if it's going to be finished. When you think I offered it all up for sale at one stage ! Yes, my Virago "Vindicator" CR had to go, but at least I managed to hang on to the Grimeca hubs/ Borrani rims.

The blower motor will get built up over time, but that's going to take a lot of outsourced machining, fab, welding = money.

I'm just waiting for confirmation from the seller re: the nitrous set up. It's actually off a Drag Race Harley - hence the two foggers, but that's ideal for my set up as there will be one fogger in each of the manifold runners. That's why I swapped to the long manifold as I can get a better entry angle on the nozzles.

Ah fun-juice... can't go wrong with that. Well as a matter of fact, it can go very wrong, but let's not think about that, shall we? 8)

der_nanno said:
Ah fun-juice... can't go wrong with that. Well as a matter of fact, it can go very wrong, but let's not think about that, shall we? 8)

Small steps with this one Greg - currently has +25bhp pils - but I am also getting a set of 50, 75 and 125 !! This kit is capable of 175bhp max.

I had three stage NOS on my Ford 502ci '27T Comp Altered Roadster. All controlled through a Jacobs Command unit. ALMOST foolproof !

Attachments

• cars 070.jpg
    cars 070.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom