71 CB350 - the Supernaut... is dead... For real. Not BTC dead, really dead...

Re: 71 CB350 - Supernaut.

Mock up of the underseat battery tray. Also should get cut and welded in this weekend.

PB190329.jpg

PB190330.jpg

The beginnings of the rearsets... I should have more / better info soon...

PB190334.jpg

PB190335.jpg

Another shot of the frame brace mockup w/ the seat.

PB190321.jpg

I have more pics of more work gettin' done, but forgot to load them onto the laptop... Ill put them up soon.

VonYinzer said:
Mock up of the underseat battery tray. Also should get cut and welded in this weekend.

PB190329.jpg

Make that curve higher. Depending on your weight, the tire could hit it. If you raise it up so only 3/4" remains, it should still be plenty strong. Plus, when you weld it to the under-seat bump pan, it will be stronger. 1/4" plate is way overkill. I'd shoot for 3/16" on the back brace and .090" on the upper pan. Even that's heavy...

--Chris

Cool, thanks... Good point on that arch. I wast sure about it and figured id start here and could fix it later once I got a rolling cahssis together. Ill cut it down though...

Alright. Didnt get shit done this weekend... With friends and family coming in for Thanksgiving, time in the garage vanishes.
On a good note though, I picked up the steel for the brace and battery tray. Once there fabbed and welded, I can paint the frame. Once thats done, I can paint the wheels. Once thats done I can Get a rolling chassis together. If all goes as planned, this time next week Ill be on two wheels. (Without a motor or wiring yet, but hell Im still on two wheels right? ;))

know the feeling, my wife has invited a bunch of people for Thanksgiving.
She would probably go nuts if she knew I was posting here instead of cleaning up my 'junk' ;D
compressed shock length is pretty close to 10" (spring off sitting on bumpstop)
If you fit wheel/swingarm and 10" strut you'll know exactly how much clearance you have
I would cut plate to 1/2" minimum from top of tyre on full compression

PJ

PB190322.jpg

[/quote]

I like to see the cut off on the same angle as the rear frame tubing. \\\\\\ like that more

This is going so much slower than I was planning. Damn real life... Finally got the frame brace welded in where i cut the ass end off. Got the frame painted using high gloss black engine enamel. I really like the combo of Duplicolor Self Etching Primer, and Duplicolor Engine Enamel. It usually gives a nice smooth finish without excessive prep work. I still need to wet sand the frame down and lay another coat. Not sure if im going to clear it. I know, i know... It helps maintain the finish, but I can never get rattle can clear to lay right. I usually just lay down several (10+) coats of color over a long period of time, allowing each coat to dry before adding the next. Takes awhile on big pieces like a frame. Once there buffed up a bit and a bit of wax is applied, it usually ends up pretty nice...

PC030353.jpg

PC030354.jpg

PC030355.jpg

Hell ya man. Gotta have the Blue Ribbon...

So ive decided against my original rearset design. Its just not adding up for me mechanically or style wise. Thats a bummer, but oh well, live and learn... That said I have to figure something out. My seat is short. Very short. I am on top of the tank when I sit on her. Its much more similar to modern sportbike positioning than 37 year old putter, but thats the point right? Im also running clubmans so Im really almost laying down on the tank. So i guess I have few options...
1. Try and design/build another set.
2. Modify something from a modern bike.
3. Go with something like the motobits CB175 rearsets, which are way out of my price range right now, which sucks because they look great.
Most likely Ill modify something modern to fit, if I can find something cheap enough. Anyone have anything there looking to unload on the cheap? Lemme know. Thanks all.

I considered building my own too, just liek with the seat it was a time vs. cost argument. After seeing how easily the Motobits bolt up, Im glad I did it... But if thats out of the question man, I could ask around and see if any of these sportbike guys I know have an old set of pegs etc.

That would be awesome! the motobits arent too pricey, but with the holidays and the wifey in Grad school, everything needs to be done as inexpensivly as possible, ya know? I still want to build my own someday, but i think thatll have to wait for my next project. Which will be pretty bitchin if it works out....

Yeah man, considering what you get with the motobits, its a really good deal. Not sure how theyll bolt up to your bike, might have to get some different rod-ends to reach, but theyre saweet. And yeah I dig the doing things on the cheap - my girl told me that this is the last month im allowed to spend money on the bike, so Im doin it! haha

Ya, my wifes been telling me "NO MORE PROJECTS" for years... I just tell her that when she lets me buy that new CBR600rr, and Lotus ill stop building bikes and cars... Needless to say thats not happening! ;D

Ahhh, fuck it. Ill just build em'. Thats what this is all about right? I have all friggin' winter to do it. I really have to stop being so damn lazy! :D

Awhile back I found an old Suzuki 250 2 stroke streetbike for a buddy of mine. He picked it up for $75, than sold it to another buddy for $75 to make room for a cb360 bobber project he found. Last night the second owner called me and said he wanted it out of his basement so he can build a home brewery, and he was giving up on building a bike. Its completely disassembled and bagged up and now on its way to the garage for $50! So project #2 is here! Im not even going to look at it until the 350 is on the road, but im excited. Its rough, and missing some of the smaller bits, but nothing thats expensive to replace or fab up. Its going to be a blast. These little bastards are FAST and LOUD. The wifes already pissed about it so I know itll be fun! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What it looked like new... (It doesnt look like this now of course, but it is suprisingly really rust free...)
Hustler6.jpg

MIKE!!! Youre sick in the head!!!!

However.... that thing is also sick! Thats like my ideal bike man - Im a little dude, so a rippin 2-stroke woowee! Congrats on picking that up. Ive been ever so gingerly browsing craigslist even though I know thats a mistake! Haha

Go get some work done on that CB man! We need to hit these streets!

Wow! Good find! I think you'll like the two stroke better because of the power delivery--at least I do. One thing I recommend on the Suzuki: Leave the stock pipes on during the build. Once you have the bike completed and riding reliably, that's when you upgrade to expansion chambers.

Of all the bikes I've built and all the fabrication I've done, nothing compares to the complexity and frustration of tuning a 2-stroke with expansion chambers. Of course, maybe it's just me.

--Chris

Back
Top Bottom