CL100 SL125 Cafe' Project

cyclhed

Been Around the Block
Our next project: 1970 CL100 cycle parts, SL125 engine and CB175 front fork, front hub and rear hub. The hubs are being laced to 18 inch Excel aluminum wheels.
The collected bits for the build project.

Attachments

• CL100-1.jpg
    CL100-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,867
  • CL100-4.jpg
    CL100-4.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,010
  • CL100-2.jpg
    CL100-2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,767
Re: CL100 SL125 Cafe' Project - The Beginning

More greasy bits...

Attachments

• CL100-5.jpg
    CL100-5.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,082
  • CL100-3.jpg
    CL100-3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,028

I always like to see what people do with these bikes. Subscribed

I just picked up a CL175, so all these small bore projects interest me. I'll definitely follow this.

Thanks for your interest guys.

Hey ffjmoore I found and read again Big Blue bike build. I really liked that bike when I saw it last year and I actually voted for it for BOTM.

Well I figured out that the 71 CB175 front end won't fit this frame. The steer tube is too short and the wrong diameter to fit. I checked the All Balls site and they give a list of trees that will possibly work as they have the same top and bottom bearing diameters. These are CB125S, 1976 - 85 and CB250 Nighthawk, 1991 - 2008. I read on another CL100 cafe racer thread on this board that the 175 fork will fit, but that information is incorrect. Anyway I have two CL/CB100 front forks so I will make one good set and run with that for now. Also the rear wheel hub for the 175 uses a larger diameter axle. The width is correct though so the 175 rear hub would work as long as the axle slots in the swing arm are enlarged. I have decided to run with the original rear hub also to start with since it will match the original front unit. I'll lace the original hubs to the set of 18x1.85 Excel wheels that I have for the project.

Today I disassembled the bike and cut the side cover tabs off of the frame and the passenger peg mounts off of the swing arm.

My brother is handling the tin work for this bike and is fabricating a cafe style seat/fender out of aluminum for the project. He has also cut the original gas tank apart and is rolling the dents out and bead blasting the inside. Then it will be tig welded back together and I'll paint it and the seat. While he's busy with the bodywork I'll get the cycle parts and motor ready. I'm not sure of the condition of the engine so I'll pull it apart and inspect everything and replace anything that need to be replaced.

I'll get some progress pictures up soon.

Just swap out the steering stem. It comes out by grinding the bottom where it's welded in. The forks and front hub are worthwhile upgrades.

eyhonda said:
Just swap out the steering stem. It comes out by grinding the bottom where it's welded in. The forks and front hub are worthwhile upgrades.

Hi eyhonda, I investigated your suggestion and it would require a 0.5mm spacer sleeve which is difficult. The diameter of the hole in the lower clamp is 1mm too large for the CL100 stem once both are removed. Thank you for the suggestion though and please keep them coming. I disassembled the two sets of 100 forks that I have and I will put together a nice set. I ordered a set of seals for them. I need to keep the cost down on this project so I am trying to use parts that I already have as opposed to buying more.

List of stuff I still need to find:
ignition switch
6V rectifier
ign coil
AGM battery
top engine mount
rear brake lever and link

I will look into the engine soon and asses that.

Thanks for looking. I have enjoyed reading the other posts on these little bikes on DTT.

Then, you'll have to find a different stem. Mix and match until it all fits. I already did it but I used a completely different triple. It's the chase (ie, research) that makes it worthwhile. But, like you said, try to use what you have first.

eyhonda said:
Then, you'll have to find a different stem. Mix and match until it all fits. I already did it but I used a completely different triple. It's the chase (ie, research) that makes it worthwhile. But, like you said, try to use what you have first.
Yes, you are right. I do enjoy the build as much as I do riding them. On this one I didn't mention the fact that I wanted to have it rolling by the end of June so we could take it along with our other old Honda's to the Classic Japanese MC show and swap meet in Auburn, CA on June 30 - July 1.

Also my brother has a nice little stash of parts at his place and I need to get over there and scrounge for parts tomorrow. I will look for alternatives for the fork. Thanks for your help and interest guys.

What kick lever is that?? Stock for a SL? Im looking for one for my cb125 i would assume there the same size spline..

Thanks Red

Hey nice project. I'm working on a CL100 project as well. I used a 80's Honda CM200T triple tree that fits 31mm forks. The steering stem is slightly longer than the CL100 one but it fits fine on my bike. I had my triple tree bored out to 32mm to fit a suzuki front end but 31mm is the same as the 250 nighthawks.

Here's a link to my project. I'm not a expert at all but if you have any questions let me know.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=37004.new#new

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Sorry I took so long to get back, I've just been busy with work.

Ronda: As far as I know it is the orig SL kicker, but not totally sure, but it's what came with.

doorpz: I'm on the lookout for a front end from one of the 125/200/250 Honda's too. I'm sure I'll find one for it eventually. For now I assembled one good one out of the two stockers I have. I need to trim down the headlight ear tubes as they are for bellows and I want to run the tin covers, so I'll do that soon.

I disassembled the engine and it was full of water so I'm going to rebuild the lump. I found a chineez cylinder and piston kit on fleabay for $60 so that's on the way. The roller bearing and race on the crank is a bit rust spotted, but it should be OK. I can't really feel anything when I run a fingernail over it so I'll clean it up and run with it. I pulled the valves out and the valve seats are also pretty badly pitted, but I have a spare head from the 100 engine that is OK, so I'll use that one after I cut the seats and grind the valves. Anyway here's some pics of the carnage.

Attachments

• SL125engine 005crop.jpg
    SL125engine 005crop.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,401
  • SL125engine 004crop.jpg
    SL125engine 004crop.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,347
  • SL125engine6.jpg
    SL125engine6.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,258
  • SL125engine2.jpg
    SL125engine2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,337
Frame and fork back together after removing the side cover tabs and cleaning the forks out. The CB100 exhaust is in good shape.

Attachments

• CL100cafe1.jpg
    CL100cafe1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 878
  • CL100cafe3.jpg
    CL100cafe3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 957
  • CL100cafe2.jpg
    CL100cafe2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 893
Update: Engine is being worked on and seat built.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 961
Posting 7 years later! Here’s how it turned out as a scrambler. I sold it two months ago to a 14 year old young man for his first motorbike.

Attachments

• 83B3EF5C-56D6-4728-A34A-D6F09D0E4B68.jpeg
    83B3EF5C-56D6-4728-A34A-D6F09D0E4B68.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 168
  • 496FBBF1-C902-433A-BEA5-9050D9BD1CB2.jpeg
    496FBBF1-C902-433A-BEA5-9050D9BD1CB2.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 162
Wow, 7 years later, and it still looked good.

You do good work. Currently working on a CB100 myself, has a stripped kicker shaft.

So, got it on the floor, going to split the case , as soon as I can.

Back
Top Bottom