RD350 Brat/Cafe thing

raptormeat

Been Around the Block
Pics coming soon...picked up a R5 bottom end, with RD350 top end with reed valves bolted on, redone crank, bored cylinders, disk brake front end...kindof a hybrid of the two. The thing is in pieces atm, going to paint the frame and wheels black. Any advice or feedback in the days to come is appreciated.

photo_1_1.jpg

expansion chamber pipes from a 350LC i believe?
photo_3.jpg

assuming the 17 year old i bought this from is telling the truth, this engine has a rebuilt crank and bored cylinders. i have a second near complete engine as well that im using to get stator and electronic ignition.
photo_5.jpg

not sure what this piece is below??
photo_4.jpg

does anyone know if the bent piece 90 degrees is supposed to be bent like that or straight up?
photo_1.jpg

anyway, im enjoying the project and will post once i get a roller. also have remanufactured shocks, so thats nice.

I think that bent mount on the frame is were the rear brake switch should be mounted and then connected to the brake lever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raptormeat said:
first off, am i gonna take some shit for wanting to throw on those Dunlop K70 style Phoenix E70 coker tires?

IMHO the K70 is a great tire for a vintage bike. Performs well...I like it better than the Avon AM26s I had before, and they are far better on sketchy surfaces. Per Internet lore and not personal experience, they were even used as a dirt track tire.

Have heard tire life is not that great, but my little bike and the modest speeds I could ride in India barely wore them any. On a hooligan 2-stroke, results may differ...

K70 is a standard tire for low performance bikes. It was a low cost reasonable life tire fitted to many British bike back in the day. On rough surfaces it's not bad but it's not a performance tire by any stretch of the imagination.

AM26 Road Rider is a modern tire with better carcass and rubber and it's much better - at least on regular roads. On broken up surfaces the K70 probably is more able to deal with dirt and debris. The open, block, tread provides less grip on a good surface and will tend to run hotter at speed as the blocks move around which is probably why they don't last as well.

Those pipes look really long and odd but that may just be the picture. HP per Dollar, DG are probably the best bang for the buck fro a mild street pipe.

And pre-mix is possible but is a complete PIA on the street and is inconsistent. That's why all seventies 2 smokes had pumps - they were more reliable and cleaner.

teazer said:
K70 is a standard tire for low performance bikes. It was a low cost reasonable life tire fitted to many British bike back in the day. On rough surfaces it's not bad but it's not a performance tire by any stretch of the imagination.

AM26 Road Rider is a modern tire with better carcass and rubber and it's much better - at least on regular roads. On broken up surfaces the K70 probably is more able to deal with dirt and debris. The open, block, tread provides less grip on a good surface and will tend to run hotter at speed as the blocks move around which is probably why they don't last as well.

And that is why I probably liked the K70 better on Indian roads...

It's your bike. Do what you want. That bike in the pic would handle like complete shot though. Hardtail it if you'd like, but don't mess with the rake/trail/wheelbase much.

Oh... And use a functional exhaust. And make sure you're build quality is better than the "trailer park hero" that built that thing.

sorry no pics this time.
but just to throw it out there i have an entire RD350 of extra parts minus frame, tank and wheels. Do have an engine minus the oil pump, an oil tank, master cylinder, decent original mufflers, a pair of CB360 MAC mufflers, hardly used. swingarms (80s RDs i think), A FUCKIN Hitachi CD ignition unit that I have no need for and cant find much info about. I wanna say its worth $200 but thats just because I want to buy a Dyno-S ignition for $300...ouch. have a few extra heads, and an almost new original RD350 seat. Also have some tracker handlebars for sale before i throw it up on ebay. cell is 6103291425.
Eric

raptormeat said:
sorry no pics this time.
but just to throw it out there i have an entire RD350 of extra parts minus frame, tank and wheels. Do have an engine minus the oil pump, an oil tank, master cylinder, decent original mufflers, a pair of CB360 MAC mufflers, hardly used. swingarms (80s RDs i think), A FUCKIN Hitachi CD ignition unit that I have no need for and cant find much info about. I wanna say its worth $200 but thats just because I want to buy a Dyno-S ignition for $300...ouch. have a few extra heads, and an almost new original RD350 seat. Also have some tracker handlebars for sale before i throw it up on ebay. cell is 6103291425.
Eric

Do you have the carbs?

Do you have the carbs?

i do have a second pair, 28mm, although i havent opened them up yet. No idea how theyre set, but i will give them a good cleaning and will get you some pictures. Also if anyone is interested Dunlop K70s are 80 bucks a piece right now at Motorcycle Superstore, only in 4.00-18 though, but considering DCC is sold out of them, this is a good deal i believe.

Back
Top Bottom