Stifler's Mom

I went to the DMV today, and found out I have to do a "bonded title", because it was a bill-of-sale only deal. :(
It's a relatively simple process, but time consuming. ::) I have to take it to a State Police station for a VIN search, then mail the document from that and the BOS to the freakin' State Capitol. When I eventually hear back from them 10-25 days est., I get to buy a Bond costing approx. 10% of the estimated value, and take all that to the DMV......to hopefully come home with a tag and title. ::)

I hate paperwork worse the electrical stuff.

Arkansas :-[

This shit just started last year. But the DMV has always been a BLACK HOLE. :mad:

On the bright side, I should be legal by ......... Spring. ::)

The weather today was sunny and in the 70s, and the forecast is rainy, windy, cold and basically shitty, for the
rest of the week. ::) So I decided, to hell with the paperwork, I'm havin' fun in the sun. ;D
So I took the old girl for a tour around town, stopping at the old fashioned Barber Shop downtown to let some friends
get their first look. The place is owned/staffed with cops/ex-cops, and most have an old bike. (even a few two smokes)

After a mutual admiration session, I rode to my wife's work, so she could show her co-workers. (how crazy her husband is) :D
The wind was picking up, and "Stifler's Mom" was doing the hoochie-coochie on her side-stand. After being in the building for a half hour, I noticed the bike was leaning more than usual as I started it up. And when I folded the side-stand up, it didn't go back where it normally does. I wiggled it and it felt like a mounting bolt was loose, so I rode straight home.
After pulling up outside my garage, and shutting down the engine, I pushed the side-stand down, AND IT FELL OFF!!!

After putting it up on the center-stand, I cleaned the loose part up and found that it had torn off. :eek: The steel sheared in an almost straight line in two places. :eek:
So now I get to weld it back on. ::) I know I should strip the bike down to the bare frame, flip it upside down, and weld it on properly. But I'm tempted to just lay on the floor, weld overhead, and try to set various and sundry pieces of myself aflame. ;D

It'll be fine mike. Clean clean clean the metal and weld away after d/c ing the battery. Just be sure the ol girl didn't get any fractures in the frame tube!

Yeah I know. ::)
It just gave me the butt-puckers to think what would have happened if it came off at speed. ;D
It's a clean tear, so it will weld-up pretty. 8)
I'll post pics tomorrow.

Here is the rest of the story, complete with purty pitchers* for Justin. ;)

*(that's pretty pictures for our Canadian brethren)

First some before pics of the side-stand and the gaping hole where it was.
i-LFbmZGk-L.jpg

i-9wmsrpg-M.jpg

i-6zx42SZ-L.jpg

After a little cleaning, a little hammering, and a little grinding to prep for welding.

i-QLhcMn6-M.jpg

i-7bHQ6kn-L.jpg

So, I'm laying on the garage floor, test fitting the side-stand back where it belongs.......

And a stream of cold water goes RIGHT IN MY EAR. :eek:
Seriously! :mad:
I've been on the roof three times, trying to find where that dang roof is leaking. Gone through three gallons of that sticky tar shit.
AND IT STILL LEAKS!!!

i-Xh5L4mC-M.jpg

No problem rainwater and welding go together like peanut butter and jelly right...............right? ::)

So I get everything in place, welder is all set, ground clamp is on a clean tab on the frame, I pull the trigger and get a quick phhhtt.....

I figure the feed spindle has a wire ball-up, so after voicing some choice expletives, I open the welder to find:

i-G2fhZKn-M.jpg

So it looks like a trip to Tractor Supply Co. tomorrow to get some wire. ::)
And to make things even better, I heard the TV weather-dude say the S-word. :(

This is prob the most entertaining read ever! Just my style. :)

So, I have been wondering this, and since we're on the topic... I wanted to change to a 0.25mm gauge wire on my MIG when welding thinner sheet metal (I know its not the most ideal way and I should get a TIG but ARE YOU GONNA PAY FOR IT?!... didnt think so. Moving on...). I have the wire and I have the appropriate tip for the gun but I seem to remember that the feeder wheel that goes on the tensioner being appropriate for a particular gauge wire as well... am I dreaming? If this is the case, is there a place where you can get just these feeder wheels b/c I cant find it at the hardware store.

My feeder wheel has two grooves, one for .035 and one for .024. You just pull the wheel off, swap ends and put it back on.
And it's the cats ass, plus the dogs bollocks for doing thicker sheet metal. ;D

Depending on brand, you may be able to order from the manufacturer. Check your owners manual parts list for alternate sizes.
Or you could try a welding supply shop. ;)

I have a lincoln... What do you think 'ol Abe has to say about that shit? I inherited (sorta) this welder from a buddy when he left my house and went to live in a one bedroom apartment. His exact words were "What the fuck am I going to do with it, sit in the middle of my living room and weld furniture together?!". Gotta love it... Anywho... I dont have the owners but Im sure its pretty easy to find. Lincolns is like AIDS... they're everywhere.

"Lincolns is like AIDS... they're everywhere."

YUP!
All the welding supply stores carry parts for them here. Just take your old feed wheel and I bet they have one to fit .024.

I just went after a roll of wire, I swear!
i-SMfv9Jj-L.jpg

Tractor Supply is a dangerous place. ;) Not pictured was a bag of dog food and some antifreeze window washer fluid.

I loaded the wire into the welder, got the side-stand positioned, and laid a couple of decent looking beads. 8)
i-GvmdWkn-M.jpg

Then had a bit of a blowout on side three. ::)
See that big dingelberry hanging there. That was formed covering a hole that was big enough to stick your pinky finger in..
i-vwfHKNz-L.jpg

But Uncah 4eyes, why is there a bunch of bright shiny new welding wire rolled up on the floor?

i-sb8XKSs-M.jpg

Because, when you weld overhead, and hit a rusty spot, big globs of weld spooge drip into your gun.

i-nXw2Cpb-L.jpg

Then your feed spool makes neat little free-form sculptures. ::)

i-3QbQZk6-M.jpg

And you have to strip wire from the feed spool, to the gun. And re-thread a new one. Apparently there is a secret
magic tension setting for the feed spool, so that it slips instead of balling-up. But it must just be for powerful wizards......
You know.......like the dudes from Pixar. ??? Because I can never make it work. :(

But fear not, with a little profanity, and a lot of perseverance, I was able to get the side-stand stuck back on.

i-34SbNw8-L.jpg

And yes, I did grind that big ugly glob of weld off before painting the assembly. ;D
I also wired a pigtail for the battery-tender, and added some Stabil to the tank, as I was buttoning things back up. ;)

The multiple feed spool jams weren't all bad though.
They keep the service rate low, so the little 110 welder doesn't overheat and shut down.
Plus the pause in welding lets you notice stuff........like your right sleeve is on FIRE!!! :eek:

A wizards sleeve on fire means a whole different thing in the UK.
Very fitting for Stiflers mom though! ;)

Love it. Keep up the great commentary. Made my saturday as Ii sit waiting for my oil change to be finished

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom