KZ400 full fairing frankenracer

Cool. Same style head as the 440. If I can get for cheap I think I'll give it a shot.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: KZ400 full fairing frankenracer

treitz said:
What's wrong with the heads you've got?

Nothing. In the name of making my life more difficult I am trying to work in a kickstart 440 into this build.

I expect that you're going to be running very lean considering your mix is going to have to travel uphill to get to the intake ports.

LBC said:
Nothing. In the name of making my life more difficult I am trying to work in a kickstart 440 into this build.

Oh that's right... I remember you saying that.

Sonreir said:
I expect that you're going to be running very lean considering your mix is going to have to travel uphill to get to the intake ports.

I wrestled with that idea in the design. I wasn't sure if the fuel air mixture would change between the carb and head.(Will the fuel stay atomized?) If it does, where does the extra fuel go, will it accumulate in the intake at idle? Or does it simply siphon less fuel from the jet when pulling air up hill an inch or two?

Any input on how to think about this problem is appreciated.

You can help mitigate the issue by ensuring there is a continual taper in the intake tract. This will keep gas velocities high and prevent prevent separation of fuel and air.

I think your best bet will be to ensure the carb remains above the level of the intake ports, though. Flowing fuel uphill is always going to be a tricky one.

Will it really be that bad? There's tons of airplane engines that are updraft systems. Carb is on the bottom of the engine and the intake manifold travels up to the cylinders.

Sonreir said:
One way to find out...

That's why I just pressed ahead with a prototype. So much to be learned by trying real parts. The lessons and skills that come with trying and getting it wrong are worth the cost of admission.

john83 said:
Will it really be that bad? There's tons of airplane engines that are updraft systems. Carb is on the bottom of the engine and the intake manifold travels up to the cylinders.

Ya i do not think it's a problem either. I even think a slight uphill is better so that you won't get the gas pooling in the intake then slipping past the Rings during start up. Also if it not uphill or the carb isn't angled at all, once the carb bowl gets to a certain angle on the road, look out for the bowl overflowing too much gas into the intake producing all kinds of unwanted fueling issues.

Besides looking pretty, sloper motors are angled this way for a reason...

RC166_04_1680_1050.jpg

Sonreir said:
Besides looking pretty, sloper motors are angled this way for a reason...

That inline 6 is a thing of beauty...usually covered up by a beautiful fairing too.

Sorry for the lack of progress here. With a few warm days poking through the shitty winter mix I had to get the dirtbike out and ready for some rides. 50 and sunny is perfect trail riding weather.

I ride the AMA dualsport events around Ohio throughout summer and do a couple RallyMoto races too but this year I'm also headed to Canada for a little more extreme ride too. I need to make sure the KTM is tip top for that which has been a bit of a distraction as well.

500 miles of dirt riding in a single day. Sure to be a fun and challenging event.
13409682554_96b9fb83d7_o.png

I'll make some progress on the KZ this weekend. Weather man says 54 and sunny so no excuses.

Hey LBC, how is the build going now? I love the work that you have done so far!

Cheers

Jbosh said:
Hey LBC, how is the build going now? I love the work that you have done so far!

Cheers

Worked on it this week actually. I spent every free moment this summer on the dirtbike so it's right were I left off.

It will be done this winter!

DoTheTodd said:
I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the rest of the tail piece.

Me too! ;) I got the garage in order to finish it up...I had a 78 KZ1000 B and an 83 KZ650 fall into my lap last weekend so had to declutter from too many cold trips out

The new bikes have to wait until the 400 is running so that's motivation! Out of town for business this weekend but I'll get pics up as I get going on this.

I somehow missed this build before. I love the KZ400s so I'm in. Looking forward to the progress. I'm in the Middletown area so I'd love to see this once it's done. Give me a shout if you need any parts (though you probably won't need any with the 2 extra parts bikes), I've got some spare stuff sitting around.

diggerdanh said:
I somehow missed this build before. I love the KZ400s so I'm in. Looking forward to the progress. I'm in the Middletown area so I'd love to see this once it's done. Give me a shout if you need any parts (though you probably won't need any with the 2 extra parts bikes), I've got some spare stuff sitting around.

I just checked out your builds...very cool! I may take you up on the parts offer. I still haven't had these running after all.

I'm gonna head to a Cincinnati cafe racer show with some friends on Feb 7.

http://garagebrewed.com/

I'll PM you my number. If you can make it we should meet up.

I'm easily....

16482782811_a1e9853bb3_z.jpg

...distracted....

16296878718_92fb14cf42_z.jpg

...we'll be back to the regularly scheduled twin build momentarily...

Back
Top Bottom