82' KZ440 Cafe' Brat Build: Carb tuning & exhaust fly by!

Re: 82' KZ440 Cafe' Brat Build: I hate you

M.B Co said:
Hmmm... Stock airbox and you went up that far?

You have CV32 carbs too right? How did you shim the needle? Mine didn't have any shims on it.....just a needle.

Is the pilot jet under the air screw? Mine only has 2 jet's in the bowl, the main and secondary.
according to the manual the 83 has CV36s which is what I got, not sure if the 82 has CV32 but im pretty sure the 32s are on the german model.
I bought sets of primary jets from Z1 from 72 - 78, super cheap, secondarys from 92 - 107, shims and an ebay micro bits for the pilot jet.

my engine has about 17K, sea level and temps vary from 18 to 28c during my riding days.
I have my bowls set at 4mm, 1 shim under the needle and the 98 secondary main is probably a little rich, last time I was riding engine ran better in the evening when it had cooled off but I am still experimenting.

I tried tuning with PODS and gave up after about 150km because I was running lean and hot and didn't want to fry my engine. when I bough the bike it had about 144 psi on both cylinders after checked it again and had 136psi, ditched the pods went back with my box. I changed the bowl screws with allen bolts, bought a micro screw driver set with flexible shaft and I can change all my jets in 10 mins without taking off the carbs off.

did you try pouring some oil with the engine warm and doing a compression test?

zap2504 said:
In both my Kaw factory parts book and my Clymers the pilot jet (92064) is under the plastic plug (with small "O" ring) and was either a #35 (limited countries) or #38. There are 2 (92063) main jets per carb; one (the main, pri) under the main emulsion tube was a #70 (#75 for racing), the other (main, 2nd) under the emulsion tube the needle valve from the diaphragm goes in) could be all sorts of values from #82 to #92 depending on country and application.

Odd, I'll pull my carbs tonight and confirm. Thanks for the info.

danker16 said:
according to the manual the 83 has CV36s which is what I got, not sure if the 82 has CV32 but im pretty sure the 32s are on the german model.
I bought sets of primary jets from Z1 from 72 - 78, super cheap, secondarys from 92 - 107, shims and an ebay micro bits for the pilot jet.

my engine has about 17K, sea level and temps vary from 18 to 28c during my riding days.
I have my bowls set at 4mm, 1 shim under the needle and the 98 secondary main is probably a little rich, last time I was riding engine ran better in the evening when it had cooled off but I am still experimenting.

I tried tuning with PODS and gave up after about 150km because I was running lean and hot and didn't want to fry my engine. when I bough the bike it had about 144 psi on both cylinders after checked it again and had 136psi, ditched the pods went back with my box. I changed the bowl screws with allen bolts, bought a micro screw driver set with flexible shaft and I can change all my jets in 10 mins without taking off the carbs off.

did you try pouring some oil with the engine warm and doing a compression test?

I bought my jets for Z1 as well and I plan on buying some more various sizes.

I could of sworn when I researched my carbs they were the CV32, could be wrong who knows.

I did a hot test but without adding oil to the cylinder and it did rise slightly to around 130, I cannot remember exactly off the top of my head but I have it written down at home.

If it comes down to re-ringing the engine I'll be buying Mikuni's anyway....which I've always wanted to do from start.

M.B Co said:
Odd, I'll pull my carbs tonight and confirm. Thanks for the info.

I bought my jets for Z1 as well and I plan on buying some more various sizes.

I could of sworn when I researched my carbs they were the CV32, could be wrong who knows.

I did a hot test but without adding oil to the cylinder and it did rise slightly to around 130, I cannot remember exactly off the top of my head but I have it written down at home.

If it comes down to re-ringing the engine I'll be buying Mikuni's anyway....which I've always wanted to do from start.

well if you got 130psi on both cylinders on a hot compression test then you dont have a compression issue. a cold engine compression test gave me about 90 PSI, hot 136, and hot with added oil with a syringe it rose to about 160 psi which is normal.

danker16 said:
That is correct, should be Keihin CV36s for all the KZ440 models except for Germany who got the CV32s.

Correct, I was mistaken. I based my current jet decision off what I pulled out. Bike was stock before with the airbox. I can't use the airbox anymore due to...well it won't fit with my electronics tray in the way.

Bike probably won't be riding this year. With my very limited time to work on it its extremely frustrating. 1 hour every 1-2 weeks is bull shit. Taking 3+ years to do a build that takes some just a few weeks. What's the god damn point of me finishing.

/ventover

Finally cut off the remaining tabs I didn't need. Stock hinges for the seat and the helmet hook are gone now

Untitled by MBCo, on Flickr

New rear hoop support will be made

Does look good with a gauge.
-Got some mess on the tank from the stock seat rubbing against it for 30+ years. Tried removing it but no go. New retro paint will be thrown on the tank as well.

[/quote]
I'd the large bracket that was under the seat structural part

Structural. Sort of. It prevents torsion on the rear and it keep the passenger from getting an ass full of tire haha. I cut mine off and with my seat pan bolted on it should add enough support to counter the torsion which mostly should be minimal due to how strong everything else is.

Keith

Tifun said:
Structural. Sort of. It prevents torsion on the rear and it keep the passenger from getting an ass full of tire haha. I cut mine off and with my seat pan bolted on it should add enough support to counter the torsion which mostly should be minimal due to how strong everything else is.

Keith
so itll live without

M.B Co said:
Correct, I was mistaken. I based my current jet decision off what I pulled out. Bike was stock before with the airbox. I can't use the airbox anymore due to...well it won't fit with my electronics tray in the way.

Bike probably won't be riding this year. With my very limited time to work on it its extremely frustrating. 1 hour every 1-2 weeks is bull shit. Taking 3+ years to do a build that takes some just a few weeks. What's the god damn point of me finishing.

/ventover

Hang in there man. You've done a lot of solid work, and pushed that KZ farther than many would go. Granted, you've hit a streak of bad luck, but every thing you have to end up doing because of it will make you more proficient and experienced for the next project.

Side note: I asked you a while back about your jetting. I tried all kinds of jetting combinations since then, and still couldn't get it quite right. It ran better, but not well. I ended up dropping the $$ (which i did not want to spend) on Mikunis. They made a world of difference, and I'd highly recommend that route to anyone with a KZ440 trying to run without the stock airbox.

combustioncafe said:
Hang in there man. You've done a lot of solid work, and pushed that KZ farther than many would go. Granted, you've hit a streak of bad luck, but every thing you have to end up doing because of it will make you more proficient and experienced for the next project.

Side note: I asked you a while back about your jetting. I tried all kinds of jetting combinations since then, and still couldn't get it quite right. It ran better, but not well. I ended up dropping the $$ (which i did not want to spend) on Mikunis. They made a world of difference, and I'd highly recommend that route to anyone with a KZ440 trying to run without the stock airbox.

Ya, I may just bite the bullet and get Mikunis. Regardless if I can make the CV's work...it's an upgrade. Upgrades are always a positive in any form. What size did you get and what jets did you start with?

I told the wife that I was done buying parts 2,4,6 times ago. I don't get a lot of push back but anyone who is married can tell ya that women hold onto stuff for ever and make a big deal about nothing. Doesn't help she really dislikes motorcycles...

Picked up some new pilot's at my local dealer. Rest of my jets will be here tomorrow from Z1. 12" cone engineering muffler will arrive Thursday.

M.B Co said:
Picked up some new pilot's at my local dealer. Rest of my jets will be here tomorrow from Z1. 12" cone engineering muffler will arrive Thursday.

Yes!! I'm gonna do the Lossa/Cone pipe but probably over the winter.

Jrbrownie00 said:
Yes!! I'm gonna do the Lossa/Cone pipe but probably over the winter.

Nice! I am so anxious to hear what it sounds like, I've been listening to sound clips of similar bikes with the same muffler to tide me over. I don't think I've seen a 440 with this exhaust muffler setup which is kind of exciting.

M.B Co said:
Ya, I may just bite the bullet and get Mikunis. Regardless if I can make the CV's work...it's an upgrade. Upgrades are always a positive in any form. What size did you get and what jets did you start with?

I told the wife that I was done buying parts 2,4,6 times ago. I don't get a lot of push back but anyone who is married can tell ya that women hold onto stuff for ever and make a big deal about nothing. Doesn't help she really dislikes motorcycles...

I got VM30's from Speedmotoco. They basically set it up based on what air filters and exhaust you're running, and exactly what model you have. I have the 81 440D belt and still running stock exhaust, so our setup probably wouldn't be exactly the same. I didn't have to mess with the jets at all, it was basically plug & play and adjust the idle.

Re: 82' KZ440 Cafe' Brat Build:

all you need is about 15" added to that lot so you can get closer to the rear axl

Back
Top Bottom