Victoria! Zeke's CB175 Build

ground strap goddamit the thing in the center is the electrode
kinda like everybody calling a wheel a rim nowadays, we can thank the goddam lowriders for that
GET OFF MY LAWN !!!!!!!!!

Sonreir said:
Plug aren't there to remove heat from the chamber. You've got an aluminum head and plugs are steel. They will almost always be hotter than the rest of the chamber (except maybe the valves).

I like the NGKs because the side electrode doesn't protrude as much.

As far as platinum vs iridium, the main difference is that the iridium lasts longer. Similar performance.

If you can find a set with multiple side electrodes, go with that, though.
"A spark plug for use with internal combustion engines includes a metallic shell housing having a semi-cylindrical shroud partially surrounding the insulator and the center electrode and to which the ground electrode is joined. The semi-cylindrical shroud promotes improved heat dissipation from the ground electrode to the shell housing."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Heat dissipation of spark plugs with various degrees of thermal endurance in the engine
Nearly 60 % of the heat dissipation takes place through the spark plug case and thread. The seal ring conducts somewhat less than 40 % to the cylinder head. The small remaining percentage flows out through the middle electrode.
The insulator absorbs the heat in the combustion chamber and conducts it into the interior of the spark plug. Anywhere that it comes into contact with the case, heat is conducted.
By increasing or decreasing the size of this contact surface area, it can be determined whether the spark plug conducts more or less heat through the case.
The contact surface area is larger for spark plugs with higher thermal endurance. For spark plugs with lower thermal endurance it is smaller."

Texasstar said:
"A spark plug for use with internal combustion engines includes a metallic shell housing having a semi-cylindrical shroud partially surrounding the insulator and the center electrode and to which the ground electrode is joined. The semi-cylindrical shroud promotes improved heat dissipation from the ground electrode to the shell housing."

Source for this article?

But yeah... I was confused earlier. I thought you mean heat dissipation from the chamber, not heat dissipation of the plug, itself.

the reason they conduct heat is so they can be cooled
the insulator and tip need to run hot enuf to stay clean of deposits
the heat is then conducted back to the head
the design of the plug is this balance to maintain as per diff engines design load etc
the sparkplug is not an aid to engine cooling

http://www.ngk.de/en/technology-in-detail/spark-plugs/thermal-behaviour/heat-dissipation-and-heat-flow/
by5emese.jpg

All the manufacturers say that the reason we go to a cooler plug is to ALSO dissipate heat from the combustion chamber. Smokey Yunick said to talk to a manufactures rep and so here we are...

Texasstar said:
Some interesting twin trivia for Honda trivial pursuit. The 160 rocker arms stock were as light as what we lightened and polished for lucky. The bigger tappet bolts of the 160 are lighter than the smaller tappet bolts of the 175. Go figure.

Rockers vary quite a bit in weight, so I sort through them all and select the lightest and then start lightening them some more.

Those adjusting screws are even lighter after they are drilled and broached to take a hex key (Allen wrench) and there are Ti or Al nuts but watch that they don't come lose. A touch of blue Loctite is needed with Al nuts.

Use Iridium plugs if you can get them in the size you need and start one grade cooler than you think you'll need and then start reading the center electrode and side strap (electrode) for signs of heat.

FYI different fuels burn differently and you need a hotter plug (lower number in NGK series) to burn off the carbon with unleaded fuel. With race gas we use D10 and with street unleaded we use D8s. Check plug length and index the plugs and check for plug to piston clearance. We have to fire notch our pistons to clear the plug.

xb33bsa said:
ground strap goddamit the thing in the center is the electrode
kinda like everybody calling a wheel a rim nowadays, we can thank the goddam lowriders for that
GET OFF MY LAWN !!!!!!!!!

[quote author=NGK]
"... from the ground electrode...."
[/quote]

;D

teazer said:
Rockers vary quite a bit in weight, so I sort through them all and select the lightest and then start lightening them some more.

Those adjusting screws are even lighter after they are drilled and broached to take a hex key (Allen wrench) and there are Ti or Al nuts but watch that they don't come lose. A touch of blue Loctite is needed with Al nuts.

Use Iridium plugs if you can get them in the size you need and start one grade cooler than you think you'll need and then start reading the center electrode and side strap (electrode) for signs of heat.

FYI different fuels burn differently and you need a hotter plug (lower number in NGK series) to burn off the carbon with unleaded fuel. With race gas we use D10 and with street unleaded we use D8s. Check plug length and index the plugs and check for plug to piston clearance. We have to fire notch our pistons to clear the plug.
a hex key makes so much more sense. What do you think about Denso's claim to their newest iridium plug? Did the bikes they built it for the xr250 and cb400 have heat related issues?

The patent abstract goes into more detail. Their marketing guys need to do a better job by not calling it a shrouded plug.

I am sorry about being OCD ...obsessive compulsory details

Back
Top Bottom