Down under, an idiot and a 400F

crazypj said:
Nothing today? ;D
Have you checked where forks are yet?

Yeah I checked this morning. Yesterday they hit Aussie shores, don't think they were delivered today though as I asked the missus to keep an eye out.

Bought my satin case paint to get the triples done this weekend though. Also am ready to tap the front hub for discs.

Should be good to assemble the front end next week. Then will make caliper carriers.

Me too!!!!

Need to hit the missus up for a loan for the rims and tyres. Think I have my heart set on the 130x70x18 rear tyre and 3.5 rear rim combination and will make it work, even if I have to get something like a Dresda swingarm.

Any thoughts on what front to match it up with?

I was thinking 100x90x18 and 2.15 rim.

Probably want a 100 or 110 front to match, several smaller capacity modern bikes use that combo
Even the biggest /fastest sport bikes only use 120 fronts even with 180~190 rear

Hey neevo, you'll definitely need a different swinger. I run a 130 on my 360 cafe and it will not clear the front of the swinger "u" so I just fabbed a new one.

Mad science bitches!

Kanticoy said:
Hey neevo, you'll definitely need a different swinger. I run a 130 on my 360 cafe and it will not clear the front of the swinger "u" so I just fabbed a new one.

Mad science bitches!

Got pics? I'm thinking I might make a box section swinger or potentially just use a 120 rear.

Today was a good day in the shed, planned on painting my triple clamps and tapping the front hub for the CBR discs.

Heres a cheeky before pic:

a5e9c48b.jpg

First up I made a makeshift spray booth, booth is a little optimistic as it was essentially just a sheet hung against my garage door. I hung some wire and made sure I could hang the triples ready for painting:

0502c711.jpg

Wasn't sure how I should prep the clamps for paint do I decided to whack them in the sandblasting cabinet for a quick once over to key them for paint:

a157c299.jpg

Next up I masked the inside of the fork clamps and lower stem surface:

1e724426.jpg

04eef5d7.jpg

Swivel suggested case paint so I bought a can of this in satin black:

db1f78fa.jpg

2 light coats and then a slightly wetter one (as per the instructions) and I am loving the end result, hope it doesn't flake or chip:

27340e5f.jpg

30594bfc.jpg

I've left them hanging for tonight then will bake in the BBQ tomorrow on 120c to cure the paint, anyone know for how long???

The other job for today was to drill and tap my front hub to accept the CBR discs and spacers PJ made for me. I bought this during the week:

ad6a4ad1.jpg

First I marked the hub with a punch:

e0fe39fb.jpg

Then drilled the hub and cracked out the tap:

d244ee4e.jpg

It worked out ok and after some minor fiddling I got it all working perfectly. The end result:

61cf76d0.jpg

a218e8da.jpg

9c36d1b0.jpg

I've left them hanging for tonight then will bake in the BBQ tomorrow on 120c to cure the paint, anyone know for how long???

till their medium to well done ;D ;D ;D 15-20 min would be my guess
Those discs look mean ! whole lot of front STOP!.... nice

Also I will stripping the CBR calipers tomorrow so that I can sandblast and paint them with VHT caliper paint.

Anyone got suggestions on a good colour?

I was thinking Satin Black like they are in stock form. However the other colours are making me think like the Silver, Gloss Black and Gold.

Wow, that's a lot more than I expected.
Going to be plenty too strong enough ;D

Baked the triple clamps in the BBQ today, worked a treat:

c5b4d816.jpg

d6567fcf.jpg

Then I headed out and bought a can of caliper paint:

36e614f7.jpg

Stripped the calipers in no time and prepped for sandblasting and paint.

6d0f6887.jpg

ec9fd8f6.jpg

9f923c76.jpg

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I thought I would install the head stems bearings, bottom went in no problems but the top just dropped in, I can pull it out, is that normal????

9ed503a2.jpg

Next up I tried to fit my bearings and found out that the stem needed some refinement. I don't have a lathe so I thought I would improvise with my bench grinder:

a360dd77.jpg

Worked really well and I was able to take off 0.03mm with 600 grit sandpaper. I wasn't so lucky with the stem when I tried to put it in the triple. With 100c heat in the triple and the stem in the freezer I was still only able to get it this far:

c4dc1511.jpg

Time for a hydraulic press!

Next up I cleaned up the brake parts:

32d1ad6c.jpg

And ran the pads through the sandblaster:

f2e9257e.jpg

Just waiting for the calipers to finish baking. They turned out nice but I should have put a wetter layer on them in some places as its not uniformly gloss, it might not be noticeable though so I may leave it. Pics when they come out of the BBQ in a few minutes.

1 hour at 100c. That's what the caliper and engine paint recommends and I thought an engine running would be easily an hour.

It's pretty tough stuff as its taken a few whacks when trying to get the stem in.

that is an awesome job on the disc conversion.

also those calipers are going to look amazing.....
i wasnt going to paint mine,
now i think i will
great write up too

Calipers done!

44f11cb7.jpg

They are much better than before but I'm not 100% happy with the result as I didn't get them wet enough on the last pass, so they are not uniformly glossy. I may whack them in the forks and see if they still bother me, they might be fine when they are on the bike.

I will be sanding back the NISSIN logo to offer a bit of contrast and break up the black a bit. Any tips on how to do this without affecting the paint around it?

Awsome progress Neevo... Keep up the good work!
Guess I just wanted you to know I was still paying attention to your build. ;)

How much farther does the stem need to be in the lower triple tree? Reason I ask is it almost looks like it has a groove for a snap ring to retain it.

Back
Top Bottom