Down under, an idiot and a 400F

For hose clamps, get the nicer stainless steel T-bolt types, not the standard hardware store ones.

They're all over the web:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Product-Line/Turbonetics-T-Bolt-Clamps/

eyhonda said:
For hose clamps, get the nicer stainless steel T-bolt types, not the standard hardware store ones.

They're all over the web:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Product-Line/Turbonetics-T-Bolt-Clamps/

Already on it. Will be ordering 4 of these bad boys any day now:

http://bit.ly/OPmOxf

neevo, where are you getting the new cam chain sliders? Also, crank bearings? When I get back home I'm taking the rest of the case apart and will be looking over those bearings. If I need new ones I'd love to have a heads up on where to get them..

ronnie bearings are pretty easy:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/
http://www.cmsnl.com/

Not sure I've seen new sliders though, mine are ok but I would prefer new considering the rest of the motor would be new. I may settle on eBay ones though, as long as they are better than the current ones. Let me know if you find any.

Did 30 mins tonight on the rear sprocket. Decided to remove the guard and freshen it up a little bit:

5c85810b.jpg

0ae8c214.jpg

Teeth are in great shape. Trying to reuse parts if they are ok as opposed to buying new every time:

d1ddd8b2.jpg

Quick dip in the kerosene and it scrubbed up ok, will put it in the sandblasting cabinet tomorrow to finish off the process:

f974a885.jpg

neevo said:
Not much left to buy ;)

Tyres
Headlight bucket and lens
Front brake lever/mc and clutch perch
Front braided brake lines
Grips
Swingarm brace and rear shock mount steel
Shock
Brake light
Carb rebuild
Paint frame
Swingarm bushes (bronze)
Drive train
TTR400 rear-sets
SS tube for indicator stalks
Paint tins and frame

Oh and then the motor:

466 pistons (and boring)
New gaskets
Cam chain
TTR400 cam chain tensioner U
Cam chain sliders
Cam fixed and journal
Primary chain
Elec ignition
Coils
Crank bearings

gee, just a little list mate ;D

Hey that David Silvers site has the cam guides...

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB400F0-SUPER-SPORT-1975-USA/part_162262/

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB400F0-SUPER-SPORT-1975-USA/part_162263/

Ah yeah of course, I'm an idiot. David Silver has most parts luckily, most are reasonable on the wallet too :)

Yea, I would order them all right now but I'm not sure what bearing I need yet.. But at least I know where to get the guides now! Thanks a bunch.. I'm hoping to get my jugs and head sent to Golden Age shop in Virginia. Guy specializes in vintage bikes. plus he does ceramic and dry lube coatings for pretty reasonable.

Did a spot more pootling on the bike today. First up I got the sprocket in the sandblasting cabinet, not sure on what I'm going to do with it but think I may just paint it:

e8bda66d.jpg

Next up were some steering stops for the new triples. I was planning on cutting a piece of metal to weld to the existing stop but then had a brainwave, why not drill and tap the lower triple and put some hex head bolts in. So I went to Bunnings and bought some SS 5mm hex head bolts:

c0c6656f.jpg

Drilling the triple was a pain as it wouldn't fit on the drill press however I got it with the hand drill in the end. Tapped and bolts in:

eaa9b33f.jpg

0d93d25e.jpg

bf21d0c3.jpg

About 10-15mm clearance to the tank:

18e847ee.jpg

Next up I turned my attention to the damper. Will run the GSXR one for a little while, then I'm going to look for an aftermarket one with adjustment. Mocking it up with this so that I can just look for a GSXR aftermarket one in the future.

I didn't want to front mount it so I looked for alternative options. One of these bolt holes underneath looked ideal but it needed to be larger:

e033cb12.jpg

Drilled it out and retapped it:

71a99264.jpg

Looking to weld a stalk on the frame to accept the other end, anyone think this will work? The position on thr lower triple means it's only using about an inch of travel:

f96cf101.jpg

3424e217.jpg

9d6c3b1e.jpg

fd2fa863.jpg

Looking good.
Mounting will work, if damping is too light, re-fill damper with thicker oil.
It's not too difficult with the 3mm screw, as long as you have no air inside it will work fine

crazypj said:
Looking good.
Mounting will work, if damping is too light, re-fill damper with thicker oil.
It's not too difficult with the 3mm screw, as long as you have no air inside it will work fine

I refilled with 5w yesterday, a bitch to get all the bubbles out but in the end got it working beautifully.

Damper is there only to stop dangerous headshake, hopefully it is enough to do that.

Redid my calipers today as the final coat of paint wasn't wet enough and the gloss paint didn't really come out gloss. Pics later.

Also thought I would see if I could make a replacement stator cover as mine is completely farked:

30e58423.jpg

Bolted some 3mm Alu to the old piece as a template and got a 40 grit flap disc out. Turned out well an didn't take long, just need to work out how to dome it. If I can get that bit sorted I will get someone to engrave it for me with an outer line, oldskool Honda logo and the name of the bike:

1ddc2a07.jpg

eebdd3a0.jpg

Finally finished the calipers. Didn't get them perfect as the logos are a but messy because they have been sanded a bit too much (by me previously :(). Oh well, they look good at the moment, nice and glossy and they are super smooth after a thorough clean and greasing of the pins:

F4BF0F44-2426-42AB-AB5E-A34B912C802F-407-0000005C3DDC95B1.jpg

Hopefully my calipers carriers are finished soon as I haven't heard anything yet.

Also PJ I have a fix for the steering stem. Getting someone to machine out the top clamp slightly to accept the old washer, won't affect strength and will mean there is a surface to tighten the nut down onto. Pics when it comes back.

So exciting to be buying stuff to go back on the bike. This arrived this morning and I think it's gorgeous:

699B18C7-A0D1-4DDA-B701-A851693D35F2-249-0000003358194805.jpg

767DC3DC-FEE7-487C-B6D8-B4E84A84C5A3-249-000000335D5D7686.jpg

Already held it up against the bike and it's going to look killer. Starting to resemble a bike rather than a bunch of metal,

Always good when a plan comes together ;)
I think I know what your doing with top yoke, recess washer into it?

crazypj said:
I think I know what your doing with top yoke, recess washer into it?

Exactly. There is plenty of meat on the top yoke and it should look nice with a flush mounted silver washer.

It's probably still thicker than the original even after machining?
Looks like I'll be doing mine as well, didn't take the extra thickness of GSXR top yoke into account when I did stems (I did account for the bottom one though ::) )
If there is a next time, I'll get it perfect ;D

Hey neevo, where did you get the headlight? what was it worth?

I need one!

nice job on the bike so far, I keep checking for updates and am never disapointed 8)

Back
Top Bottom