Down under, an idiot and a 400F

stroker crazy said:
The only trouble is it makes the tank look a little ..... ummmm .... battered.

Crazy

Yeah you're not wrong. I'm confident I can get it looking good with some body filler in the end though.

BCBarker said:
i feel like you need a body saw.... really thin cut around the circle... hexagon might mess up the body lines by 1 degree.

Air-Body-Saw-(9000bpm)_gp-848b.jpg

Yeah you're right Brian. I'm going to cut round the mount where it was cut originally now. That body saw is interesting, might look around for something to cut it with other than a 1mm cutting disc.

My compressor isn't big enough to run a body saw so I bought a cheap electric jig saw and use metal cutting blades
If I was doing it again, I would get variable speed one

crazypj said:
My compressor isn't big enough to run a body saw so I bought a cheap electric jig saw and use metal cutting blades
If I was doing it again, I would get variable speed one

Can you get thin enough blades to cut the sheet and follow the curve?

They can use the special thin blades or standard hack saw blades. I used to work in a body shop. This it an amazingly useful tool.

I grind the backs down just below where the guide wheel runs.
Base plate is pretty flimsy with sharpish edges so a thick plastic 'pad' keeps everything running smooth plus lifts blade (I'm not using it to cut anything thick)

No one else will ever notice the tiny difference. And you never look at the filler cap while riding, so.................................

I'd leave it alone.

teazer said:
No one else will ever notice the tiny difference. And you never look at the filler cap while riding, so.................................

I'd leave it alone.

teazer I would rather do it properly, otherwise it would shit me every time I looked at the bike. Planning some racing stripes down the centre of the tank too which would probably make it more noticeable too.

Man! You've been busy since the last i logged in. Lol
Looks great! But I agree. Redo the cap. Its the one thing that will always be in your thoughts and eye every time you step over the bike.. Its not off my much, but enough to make a grown man grind his teeth over. Lol

Good work though man! Keep it up

two other poss fixes for the cap...
would it be possible to make up a ring/plate, with the appropriate holes drilled in it to match the bolt holes of the cap, attach a handle to said ring, bolt it to the cap holes (having first removed shiny ally cap), heat up (red hot with oxy torch) all round the cap area and use the handle to the 'twist' the whole area by that elusive 1 or 2 degrees, would it cause warpage of the whole area?
if you are going to cut it out and re weld back in, i'd say use a dremel rather than a normal sized angle grinder, you'll get much finer and accurate cuts and less heat build up, you can get mini anglegriner type blades or steel cut off tools to use in dremels

crazypj said:
Any updates?

Not yet, didn't do any work on the bike this weekend as I promised the missus some time to herself and I was looking after the little one. Hope to fix up the fuel cap this weekend coming.

Quick q for those in the know. What's the best way of finishing tubes I've welded. Been using the angle grinder with a 120 grit flap disc but it still leaves flat spots. I assume something like a linishing belt? Ideal grits to work it easily?

When you say finishing the tubes, do you mean cleaning up welds or removing weld spatter or something else? Drenmmel with small sanding drum works well.

teazer said:
When you say finishing the tubes, do you mean cleaning up welds or removing weld spatter or something else? Drenmmel with small sanding drum works well.

Cleaning up welds teazer. I've put some new tubes in places and also removed brackets etc. I took to the tubes with the angle grinder and its not a perfectly round finish. Looking for a way to improve it prior to paint or PC. That's why I was thinking a linishing belt as I could pull it around the tube to get it round and smooth again.

I use the highly sophisticated surgical tool aka an angle grinder for rough stuff, and a dremmel with small sanding drums for welds. On tubes, I usually end up with 1" or 25mm :) wide strips of emery tape and I pull that around the tube. Hold it in both hands and pull it back and forth across the tube. Works like a charm.

That's what I've been trying to get the tubes nice and finished. How perfect does the frame have to be prior to paint or PC?

I would rather fix defects now rather than have them show up in the final finish.

neevo said:
You haven't!!!!! Where's the updates bud?

Oh actaually. I have been. Hahaha. Just don't update much since you know who.. lol

Bike its not %100 done. Buy all the fab work is complete. Actually been riding her. She rides amazingly awesome!! Lol

Getting cold up here. Winter is just around the corner, once its here. I'll be tearing her all down again and start working on the paint and finishes.

RustyOlive said:
Oh actaually. I have been. Hahaha. Just don't update much since you know who.. lol

Bike its not %100 done. Buy all the fab work is complete. Actually been riding her. She rides amazingly awesome!! Lol

PM me some pics bud, would love to see it in its latest incarnation.

Back
Top Bottom