Ducati Mobster

maxBetteridge said:
If anyone can suggest a cheap and easy way I can work around the factory immobiliser and install some different gauges I'd love to hear it!
From what I can tell it's impossible to get around the immobiliser unless I go for an aftermarket ecu which I'd rather not deal with. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any other suggestions for me to look into?

just reflash the ecu to remove the immo function. simple. no need for dash or coded key.

headlight brackets are very cool.

ime, mufflers are mufflers. they all sound the same pretty much. without mufflers, or with the really short boom tube style crap, it'll just be blub blub loud like a harley.

one of my customers has a 400 with the carbon round danmotos and they sound much like anything else to me. maybe a bit louder.

jag767 said:
Threads like these remind me how little I know.

About tool making or life in general ;D The man is very good at his craft.

Maybe some basic lesson in cad is in order here... As i see it today, the art is in the design and the parts are the result of a 3D design drawing executed in automation by the machines. What we have here is a skilled cad operator and a very fine offering of machines and materials, but not rocket science.

Don't sell yourself short, this very competent tool maker, but may not be as good at baking a cake as my wife and I think that is equally important... especially if it's my sons birthday ;D

Tune-A-Fish said:
About tool making or life in general ;D The man is very good at his craft.

Maybe some basic lesson in cad is in order here... As i see it today, the art is in the design and the parts are the result of a 3D design drawing executed in automation by the machines. What we have here is a skilled cad operator and a very fine offering of machines and materials, but not rocket science.

Don't sell yourself short, this very competent tool maker, but may not be as good at baking a cake as my wife and I think that is equally important... especially if it's my sons birthday ;D

Thats deep man :eek:

Got my anodised parts back and was stoked wit the results:

4ae3bf_39767d537ae24e00b2cd2648e32740a3.jpg

While I was waiting to get the anodising done I designed the speedo backplate engraving. Once I got the parts back I did a few practice passes and then did the final pieces and again, stoked with the results:

4ae3bf_ea6a6882bc1b49b98a2855e2b27b772c.jpg

4ae3bf_bf2491bc54664e02be32da92b7ae9200.jpg

Laser cut some 2mm acrylic for the lens and used a Woodruff cutter to cut some recesses in the bezel so the acrylic snapped into place. Was planning to use some UV cure superglue to help hold the acrylic in the bezel but the fit was so tight (and the snap so satisfying!) that I don't think it even needs it:

4ae3bf_96b71ab829684cd398aff19b025b5c05.jpg

I proudly showed the photos of my progress to my girlfriend and the first thing she said was 'you're going to change the green lights right'. I laughed and immediately said no way that's too hard... But after thinking about it for a few days I realised she was right..

Half way done replacing the green leds with white ones:
4ae3bf_d43efe2084cb43d49948e9f51cc03b68.jpg

4ae3bf_0aafe34bd82249f79b27724e6a323745.jpg

4ae3bf_601a6f2df01b4f0ebb95fff44bd8ffeb.jpg

I don't really want the white lights to be a feature but hopefully they will just complement the rest of the build and not stand out like the green ones.

Fitted the laser-cut leather grips last night too with the CNC'd clamps. I used double-sided tape on the bars to help hold the leather steady. I soaked the leather overnight to stretch it and fitted them while it was still wet so that it will shrink as it dries. The double-sided tape didn't hold onto the wet leather very well but I'm hoping that as it dries the adhesive on the tape will eventually stick and still do its job. As of this morning the leather feels quite dry and seems to have tightened up around the bars quite nicely.

4ae3bf_11130d5961ec4e2991f9a4a0eb60707d.jpg

4ae3bf_17544181e77141588ab996dda4bee7df.jpg

And finally, turned up some acetal adapters for the new uni filters.
4ae3bf_d8f4becea44b49bfb2fd64284aed7eeb.jpg

Fitting these and remounting all the components that attach to the stock airbox and crankcase breather etc will be the next big task.

Just a few updates:

Fitted my pod filters (and I'm happy with the clearance for the new tank):
4ae3bf_45e4b2ebcf404d7d91b1821446a832f2.jpg

Since the front coil was attached to the air box I had to make a new bracket for that, I also wanted to relocate the ECU to in front of the battery rather than beside it and same with the relays. The ambient air pressure sensor was also tucked in behind the headlight so I shifted that onto the new bracket too:
4ae3bf_3c92b7252efa42f1a5d3333617a43ee1.jpg

4ae3bf_bcbe75de68964c678ac9f222b6174d01.jpg

I made another bracket at the back for the rear coil and reg/rec and got rid of the oil breather catch-can:
4ae3bf_f280f803bf0e422f99110dc19f47ee51.jpg

4ae3bf_0619acd9ca2e41148e3b108de21e5262.jpg

Been a lot of loom rerouting to achieve all of this and I've tried to hide the loom as much as possible. There's still a lot more rerouting required but will get to that eventually..

Got some new front indicators and wired them up. Still got to tweak this wiring a bit because it's a bit weak for my liking at the moment.
4ae3bf_b94b63086770480ba8451cf446664b6b.jpg

4ae3bf_e83c460f5ec94c2db2e0104230f7578a.jpg

I have been planning how to make the mould for the belly pan next and thinking about the approach I will use for the seat and tank too. I had the belly pan tool planned and ready to build before I realised I wanted to add a roll-over on the top edge to try and make it look a bit nicer. Adding the roll-over means I can't just cut the edge of the part until it fits (which was my initial plan), I have to actually design it to fit perfectly before I mould it. To do this I needed a better 3d scan of that part of the bike. And while I had my scanner out I took the opportunity to get a better scan of the top of the bike with the tank off and with the new pods. This is the new scan with the roll-over edge on the belly pan (the seat and tank still need some work):
4ae3bf_2e512b5a18334285af0ddacb4c8aafa4.jpg

This was the initial plan for the belly pan mould. 16 layers of 9mm MDF (per side), covered in a layer of polyester bog and CNC machined back to a smooth A-surface. This needs to be redesigned now for the roll-over but once it is done I will use this as a test/experiment for making the seat and tank moulds using the same process
4ae3bf_e4f7c66b53dc4a66a65937be0bfc74f4.png

If you'd like to see more photos and some of the other projects I'm working on follow me on instagram https://www.instagram.com/max_betteridge_design/
or check out my website www.maxbetteridgedesign.com

Making some awesome stuff here man. I havent had access to a CNC or laser rig in a few years now, its killing me ;D. Just a waterjet but pretty limited to what you can do on that.

Not that I don't love making things the old fashioned way, but when I work most of the day in CAD/3D its nice to just be able to hit send and have a perfect part at the end of the day.

Will definitely be checking in on this. Keep it up mate.

Back
Top Bottom