The unicycle, xr600/cb500t bratard

hurco550 said:
Actually that's part of the reason I kinda want a different one. .I don't wanna end up looking like a "copy" of that one lol

Well, the concept itself is a copy but you're using a 500t frame, 550 forx, ends up being a different bike anyway. The most important thing is that if the seat isn't working for you, that's enough. Besides, don't they say that imitation is the greatest form of compliment or something like that? ;D

Got the xr600 engine this weekend (thanks Justin).
645d176ddbbede1e0080fab826f869ca.jpg

The guy I got it off of thew in an xl head, gotta see what all needs done to make that work.

I threw the engine in the frame. Gonna need more cutting and grinding to fit. No Suprised there. I just mixed and matched a couple of the 500t engine mounts to at least get it sitting in the frame. It will need to be at least 1 1/2" lower than its sitting now. I still think it's gonna work out alright though.
b4f87f7b884da05ffc2c5362ea307b7b.jpg

00d06d08d7a4f37e924a40f6dbb0c17c.jpg

Thanks gentlemen. As is par for any project, there has been a fairly substantial change made... I have been working on a cb550 for a few years now, and the more I see of cb550's, the less excited I get about mine.

Anyways I got to looking and measuring the cb550 frame, and thought that it may play nicer with the xr600 motor. Long story short, a buddy came out today and helped me yank the 4 cylinder lump out and put the xr lump in. My inkling was correct and it seems much more at home. Motor mounts will be a bit more tricky since it's a full dual cradle frame instead of a single down tube, but that is nothing a water jet, lathe and auto cad work can't fix (maybe not in that particular order).

Anyways, here is how she is resting now in her new frame. Note, it's the same tank and front end that was on the 500t frame, so it doesn't "look" all that different.

92add96ae6311a4d34f0dd27d3c1ec4d.jpg

1b788775a353b9a2752a13595ab71b64.jpg

714e50574c85d50362815962727a5542.jpg

Looks at home ! As for engine mounts that's a xr motor don't they have a small brace from bottom of frame to top of head ?

DreadRock said:
Looks at home ! As for engine mounts that's a xr motor don't they have a small brace from bottom of frame to top of head ?
They do indeed, I will have to make one along with some bracing for the backbone of the frame. That would have been one of the pluses of the 500t frame, a top engine mount.

Looks pretty good either way. It only makes sense to go w/ what ever is the easiest and will, in the end, provide the best overall bike. Since there is so much to consider; engine mounts, chain alignment, oil tank fab and placement, overall wheelbase length, etc. It all sort of comes out to doing a +/- list for each frame and see which one comes out ahead. If they work out equal you flip a coin or pick the one that'll be easiest to clean up and finish or just turn your back and throw a magnet and see which one it sticks to. ;D

you need to get the cs much closer to the swinger pivot
and orientated correctly height wise as well which means moving the engine way back in da frame and down as well, in other words it doesnt fit at all,it is actually a terribly bad fit

xb33bsa said:
you need to get the cs much closer to the swinger pivot
and orientated correctly height wise as well which means moving the engine way back in da frame and down as well, in other words it doesnt fit at all,it is actually a terribly bad fit

Yup, yer gunna' kill yourself! By the way, your Firestone tires are in!

Well, it's gonna be cb360 framed now, because I have one and it's been proven to work =)
a80e1376911a1444ef17ee5f5f27433f.jpg

Lol getting an xr650. That one you brought up is much more toasty than I had hoped.. .035" piston clearance and wrong head.... I'm use it for mockup til the other one comes in, then giving it to a buddy to build for his own project

Plus, the newer xr650 has a single carb that will play better with the frame swap, and the xr650 is a complete bike, so I'll have the whole harness and little do dad's like compression release ect.

Not sure how I missed this thread in my earlier searches, but I'm in! Any recent updates?

I am also going to go take a look at a -99 XR600 on Saturday and I have two CB360's, one running OK, one a rolling basket case. The XR is not running, so my crazy plan may not work this time.

Back
Top Bottom