Another XV750 Cafe Build...how original, right?

Got my Chinese brake master cylinder and res today. It looks like some 3 year old painted it with his toothbrush but it fits alright. Hopefully installing it tomorrow, as I just got done working. Pictures to follow...

Got the new brake and clutch levers on today. They fit pretty well, the paint job just sucks.

Also threw on my bar end mirrors that I also found on Fleabay.

Just got notification that the Motolanna seats I want are in stock so I ordered one of those before they sold out again. Hopefully it gets here soon so I can build the subframe and make it to Rockerbox with a semi-built bike.

cole.pinnow said:
Got the new brake and clutch levers on today. They fit pretty well, the paint job just sucks.

Also threw on my bar end mirrors that I also found on Fleabay.
Your clutch lever is pointing to the moon.

Motion Pro can make you a clutch cable that's shorter so it routes more directly too.

XVRacer said:
Your clutch lever is pointing to the moon.

Motion Pro can make you a clutch cable that's shorter so it routes more directly too.

Lol. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice that. It was only on there loosly, and that's how the cable was pushing it. It is all good now. The plan is to have them make a shorter one eventually.

Longggggggg overdue update here! It's been over a month! Since my last post I have done quite a bit - and also not very much (more on that later).

So for starters! I have replaced the #2 idler gear which was quite worn on the one side. I also replaced the spring and the two "brake" clips that go around both the starter end and the #2 idler. The one on the starter was missing - and I'm assuming it was ripped off when the 4 brush starter was installed. I dug around in the bottom but couldn't feel it; maybe I should have used a small magnet on a short rod or something...

Replaced the stator gasket after replacing the gears - no leaks.

That I all did right before finals, lol. I have since brought the bike home and began to slightly disassemble the bike in my garage. Instead of fabricating my own subframe I just bought the Twig TT subframe meant for the Motolanna seat (which I have received, very pleased with that). I wish I would have waited on the subframe though, because they now offer a DIY weld together version I really want to TIG together myself. :mad:

SO, I am trying to sell the subframe to buy the DIY kit.

I haven't had much time to work on the bike as I have started working full time + for the summer again. I'm a lift truck operator (LTO) at a local can production facility and I work second shift - which really doesn't leave me with much time to do anything (2-10pm). Plus working overtime (sometimes 60+ hours in a week - just finished a week with 56, and now they've added Sundays on as another day of production) and having a girlfriend just about eats up all possible bike time. I'm still undecided about tank options. Twig TT also offers a "plastic" binelli mojave replica tank that I'm very interested in BUT it doesn't have the circular indents in the sides that I'm very keen on. Yet the fitment seems to be impecible and it does look quite nice. I know with the Indian replica tanks they have some leaking and not very symmetrical problems. My uncle is a welder by trade so he has offered to help out with bits and pieces.

Now onto the pictures!

First night of teardown ~ 3 am after work.

Second day of working on it ~ 3 am after work.

Subframe fitment with "custom" tank lift (bonus points to who can figure out what I used as a tank lift here for rough estimate).

I can use all the help I can get on any suggestions you have!

I decided to ditch the stock tank and to use a Benelli Mojave replica off of eBay. Overall, I'm happy with the tank (I guess). I had heard some horror stories about this tank not being symmetrical and having some leaking/pinhole issues. It is pretty well made, with a few questionable spots. The filler will have to go - you have to spin the cap about 100 times around to get it on all of the way; I'll be welding in a 1/4 turn one. Also, there was a horrendous attempt at putting a tank sealer in this one, which is a pain because now I'm going to have to figure out how to get it all out - I've been told letting some acetone sit in it will do the trick. Also, the back is kind of lopsided, but something I can deal with when the seat is on it.

Anyway, onto some pictures!
I spent the afternoon at my uncles, who is a welder by trade. Does anyone know how awesome that is, having a welder in the family? I mean, I can weld MIG and stick pretty damn well, but nothing compares to his TIG welds - he can TIG a cut soda can back together.

Here is how we mounted the tank. A piece of angle on each side of the frame, then he put a reinforcement plate on the tank, and a piece of bar stock coming off of that to rest on the angle. In between the two there is a rubber grommet to prevent cracking and stress on the tank.

I also had him modify the Twig TT subframe I bought. It sat too low in the back, and the welds all sucked. I mean, for someone who can't weld or fabricate they would be fine. However, I'm very meticulous and I was not very happy when I got the subframe. If I were to do it again, I probably would have seen if a local guy could bend the tube for me and have my uncle weld it up. He even made the comment, "Judas, it looks like a 12 year old girl tried to put this together."

I'll get a few more pictures as we make more progress.

The tail light is one thing that had to be right. My uncle who was helping me had originally put it in line with the subframe, but it just didn't look right IMO. Goal is to get the bike finished for summer riding. I just finished rebuilding the carbs.

Things left to do:
- paint tank/seal (luckily my cousin's a painter)
- petcocks
- wiring (finish)
- could use front tire
- mount headlight
- install Mac 2-1 and 12" short cone
- clean the bike
- front brakes, rear seems fine
- new throttle/choke cables

I'm sure I'm missing ten million little odds and ends...

Too bad you are far away, I would have almost given away the front end I just pulled off the XV920R (dual brakes, good master, new tire etc.)

Your Mojave replica looks to be in much better shape than what I gave up on - I know they have been done so many times, but it's only keyboard ninjas that will complain about it. Looks good.

MORK said:
Too bad you are far away, I would have almost given away the front end I just pulled off the XV920R (dual brakes, good master, new tire etc.)

Your Mojave replica looks to be in much better shape than what I gave up on - I know they have been done so many times, but it's only keyboard ninjas that will complain about it. Looks good.

Thanks! It's my first ever build of this magnitude by myself. First ever bike, and IMO no where near where yours will end up. But hey, we all have to learn somehow.

The tank has had a lot of love given to it already - new filler neck welded on, few random pieces ground off etc. If you look closely in person, it looks like a one eyed 12 year old folded it all together. It's very lopsided. You might even be able to notice the back pieces near where the seat meets the tank are different for this reason.

In reference to your front end, where are you located?

Edit: Colorado. How do you feel about shipping? Lol.

Heh - you may have gotten the tank from the same vendor I tried. Good luck to you on that one. FYI - most all that crap liner came off with vinegar for a few days. Shaken around with some drywall screws would have dispatched the rest, but it revealed so many pinhole leaks, I started the hunt for the new tank.

I couldn't imagine shipping it. The wheel is just so heavy it would end up costing an arm and a leg.

MORK said:
Heh - you may have gotten the tank from the same vendor I tried. Good luck to you on that one. FYI - most all that crap liner came off with vinegar for a few days. Shaken around with some drywall screws would have dispatched the rest, but it revealed so many pinhole leaks, I started the hunt for the new tank.

I couldn't imagine shipping it. The wheel is just so heavy it would end up costing an arm and a leg.

Yeah I figured as much. Thanks for the heads up on the liner. It looks terrible in there so I'm hoping it cleans out alright...

Long time no post but the bike is basically done. Still have to fine tune the carbs, get a shorter front brake line, and get some blinkers. Overall very happy with the final product.
ae0d95663c7c886ec20d178e9e363d3a.jpg
ab6a0228513e2726d1ed269d9b5288b4.jpg
a8e09a84ded1b62d662395d2bd52dee2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom