Stifler's Mom

"Mayday mayday, Im on Fire!" (For and Stern Fans out there).

Wizard Sleeve on fire means the same thing in my house, Erskine!

sxecafe said:
"Mayday mayday, Im on Fire!" (For and Stern Fans out there).

Wizard Sleeve on fire means the same thing in my house, Erskine!

I'm glad someone got it!

I finally got my paperwork back from the state capitol yesterday. ::) Then drove to four different bank/insurance businesses until I found one that actually SOLD surety bonds. :mad: Paid $100.00 for a piece of paper that should be in Monday. ::) THEN I will be able to go to the DMV and finally get a tag.
So....since today was a sunny 58 degrees F, and the high next week is supposed to be 35F, I went for an ill-eagle ride. 8) It has been over the 30 day grace period, but what the hay. I brought all my substantial paperwork, in case I was stopped. Saw two cops,but no drama. :)

On the way home I stopped at a bike shop, it's only a few miles for home and I have never been there. I was impressed enough to give him some tire business. I decided on Continental Conti-Go tires. They should be in, just in time for snow and ice. :'(

love this build Mike. Love the commentary. I was wondering what you had been doing since getting your bike home. I will be subscribing to see all of your shenanigans.

4eyes said:
I finally got my paperwork back from the state capitol yesterday. ::) Then drove to four different bank/insurance businesses until I found one that actually SOLD surety bonds. :mad: Paid $100.00 for a piece of paper that should be in Monday. ::) THEN I will be able to go to the DMV and finally get a tag.
So....since today was a sunny 58 degrees F, and the high next week is supposed to be 35F, I went for an ill-eagle ride. 8) It has been over the 30 day grace period, but what the hay. I brought all my substantial paperwork, in case I was stopped. Saw two cops,but no drama. :)

On the way home I stopped at a bike shop, it's only a few miles for home and I have never been there. I was impressed enough to give him some tire business. I decided on Continental Conti-Go tires. They should be in, just in time for snow and ice. :'(

im in arkansas also. so, its not too scary buying a bike without a title? ive passed on a few good deals but figured without a title theyre just yard ornaments.......guess i need to read up on this bonded title stuff

The bonded title stuff isn't too bad, it just takes a bit of time and patience. I wouldn't spend much money on parts until you get the paperwork back from Little Rock though. The are too many states that tag old bikes with just a bill of sale, to only buy titled bikes. Plus you almost always save money buying an untitled bike. (unless it turns out to be hot)

shenanigans.....yup, I'm always up for those. ;D

I added a couple of cap-fulls of two-stroke oil and filled the gas tank up to the brim. That should prevent the tank from rusting while the snow flies and I tinker around. ;)

Has snow started over there yet? 'Kin brass monkeys here in GB but snow only in Scotland so far.
We don't have farenheits here, only celsiuses and there aren't many of them around at the moment.

I felt a few small, hard flakes a few minutes ago, while taking my Airedale for a "necessary walk". :(

It's a good thing that I'm a (relatively) patient man. ::)

The bike shop got my tires in, and mounted and balanced. Turns out they were not the ContiGO that I thought, but the older Continental Ultra TKV11/12. Also I paid in advance for the tires (with mark-up), then paid AGAIN for mount and balance.
Lesson learned: Order my own damn tires, and THEN pay for mount and balance.
That said, they did a good job.
i-MV43h3J-M.jpg

See that GP stand that is over in the corner? I figured that I would "save time" by using that to pull my wheels, since my bike-jack was under an ACVW engine. See, I would have had to find some blocks to brace the engine while I used it for it's intended purpose.
i-VGc3Jr2-M.jpg

The observant among you will notice that the ACVW engine HAS blocks under it in this photo. Apparently I am capable of doing things the proper way, but I have to screw things up first.....ya know....just to keep it challenging.

So here's the picture: I have the bike up on the center stand, the rear tire is off the ground so I pull it first. Problem is that with the stock rear fender the wheel/tire assembly won't come out. :-\
So undaunted, I use the GP jack to carefully lift the front (after centering the rear tire/wheel in the rear fender. I successfully get the front brake and speedo unhooked, and the tire/wheel set aside.

Now I get the bright idea, to lower the front down onto the fork-ends, and gain clearance for the rear to come out. ::)
As I slowly lowered the front, the GP jack cammed the center stand down at the same time. The bike slowly gracefully settled flat down on the center-stand pivot and the fork-ends. :-[
So there it sat, flat on its belly, with the rear tire/rim trapped even more solidly. :p

Now properly motivated ;), I blocked up the ACVW engine and placed the motorcycle jack next to the bike, fashioned a lever out of a two by four and a piece of split fire-wood, and enlisted the help of my understanding wife. (after she stopped giggling and pointing) :-[
She pushed down on the 2x4, the short end was placed between the front of the pipes resting on the bottom motor-mount. I steadied the bike with one hand, and slid the jack in place with the other. As she lowered it carefully down, I noticed the pads on the jack were too narrow to go under both pipes, but to wide to go between them to rest under the frame. A quick search netted a couple of 2x2s that by shear luck were the proper length. Soon the bike was resting relatively solidly on the jack. Much more stable then the other dicey predicaments that it has been in today. ;D

Now it was a quick and easy task to pull the rear wheel/tire, take both to the bike shop, and replace with the nice new tires. ;D
i-RcGt7P5-L.jpg

I figure NOT dumping the bike by trying to "save time", was probably one part being cautious and going slow and easy, and three parts dumb-luck. :p

Oh yeah.....I STILL have not received my surety bond in the mail. So still not tagged, but that's okay, the weather is shitty anyway. ::)

Before you ask:
Yes that IS my beer fridge in the back of the garage.
And NO, alcohol did not contribute to the a fore-mentioned stupidity.
That's classic 4eyes. 8)

Subscribed ;)

The rear wheel on my DS7 came out with ease ???
Remove axle, remove spacer, remove brake assembly... wheel should have plenty of room to slide out.
One of the things I thought was cool as shit, is how the sprocket/cushdrive stays attached to the swingarm when removing the wheel. No readjusting the chain ;D

And you should consider getting this shirt...
I-Do-All-My-Own-Stunts-Logo.jpg

I noticed while I had the brake-shoe-carrier thingys out, that my rear brake shoes are worn out. My calibrated eyeball judged the front and rear shoes as the same size. So I check online for parts, and all the websites say that the R5 should have different (read: more expensive) shoes for the rear than the front. I go back out to the garage, and ALL my shoes have the same part # stamped on them. ???
So.....either the websites are wrong, or a P.O. put the wrong shoes on the rear of the bike, or a P.O. substituted a rear hub assembly from a DS7. ::)
I had planned on buying some high-zoot front shoes, and moving my fronts to the rear.
Now I can't decide if I should do that, or buy what the websites say should fit on the rear.

I guess I could do both, and return the new rear shoes if they don't fit. ;)

Redbird I have ALWAYS done my own stunts......that's why I walk funny. 8)

4eyes said:
Redbird I have ALWAYS done my own stunts......that's why I walk funny. 8)
Ah, I figured it was just a rash ;D

Yea I had the same conundrum with the brake shoes on mine. Every measurement I took said they were identical, but they carried different part numbers. I eventually chalked it up to "must be the difference between TLS and SLS", and figured the guys with the engineering degrees had to have a reason for it ::) :p
So I broke down and bought the "correct" shoes.

EDIT: I see HVC Cycle is listing DS7's as the same front and rear. This was not the case when I went looking for mine (3 years ago).
To the best of my knowledge, the DS7 and R5 are indentical except for the cylinders/heads. If they're showing the same shoes f/r for the DS7, they should also fit the R5

That's what I thought, Economy Cycle shows that the DS6 has the same front and back, and the DS7 and R5 have the different part #s fore and aft. ???
I'll order the "proper ones" for the bike, and deal with any issues as they present themselves. ;)
On a good note, the drums have zero wear notches or grooves. So once I get proper shoes, they should be good to go. 8)

Just a suggestion. You got a clutch/brake shop around? Last time around I had some wickedly sticky compound put on my "resoled" shoes. It's a thought.

Back when I was road-racing the MG Midget, I did the shoe "resole" thing. If the EBC's don't suit me, I will go that route.
It's just too convenient to order a set "ready made". ;D
Plus it gives me an extra set of cores. ;)

My best friend came into town for my Daughters wedding, and stayed for the Holiday.
He rode "Stiflers Mom" and even though he was grinning when he got off, and said it was "a fun little bike". He wasn't impressed with it's performance.
His new bike may have him a bit jaded. ::)
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/diavel/diavel/index.do

4eyes said:
My best friend came into town for my Daughters wedding, and stayed for the Holiday.
He rode "Stiflers Mom" and even though he was grinning when he got off, and said it was "a fun little bike". He wasn't impressed with it's performance.
His new bike may have him a bit jaded. ::)
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/diavel/diavel/index.do

But everyone wants to ride Stiflers Mom, his bike is all arse and no front and a classic example of " you don't look at the mantle piece when you are poking the fire"
I would ignore him ;)

Back
Top Bottom