"Patina" The 1973 CB175 Cafe Racer

can you not just file for a lost title ? if it is no longer in the computer and is not hot,fuckem tell them you have always owned it, been in your barn for 40 years for all they know
thats the way i do it easy peasy

xb33bsa said:
can you not just file for a lost title ? if it is no longer in the computer and is not hot,fuckem tell them you have always owned it, been in your barn for 40 years for all they know
thats the way i do it easy peasy
If it were that easy you could title any stolen bike that hasn't been reported stolen.

xb33bsa said:
it is indeed that easy in california, no records of previous owners is the key
I had an experience in Ca. with VIN# issue. Secondary (not VIN) numbers on one case half on my XR was damaged beyond recognition. They impounded my bike and I had to get a court order for them to release it to me after being arrested for Possession of Alter VIN#'s. It was totally fucked up deal. I had to take my bike to the CHP and have them run a VIN# check on it to try and determine if it was stolen or not. If it was not they would issue me a VIN plate that would go on the motor. There was no record of it being stolen so they generated a plate with my existing VIN# on it but said here's the deal, A few years ago the law read that if we couldn't read the VIN#'s we would issue one of these VIN plates with a new number. That didn't seem to do anything but raise the amount of stolen Harley's that the thief would obliterate the numbers so we couldn't read them and then apply for a title with this new VIN plate. We giving free stolen bikes away. That's when the state of Ca. changed the law to read basically that possession of any altered VIN was illegal and the motor, cases and sometimes the motorcycle would be confiscated and destroyed. You are in a unique position as a Judge has ordered this but I can't legally put this plate on your motor. He handed me the plate and sent me on my way. When reconfigured the frame it now has no numbers on it at all. Harley's went by engine numbers in the 60's and didn't frame VIN's anyways. That's one reason I am glad I live where I do as when I go to register it I will just make up a Bill Of Sale from my brother in Ca. and that is all I will need to register it for the first time since 1977.

nice CL200
if you do end up parting that thing out, i'm interested in the front wheel :D

I think you should at least try to get it titled though

There's this guy too. This is the route I'm going for my practically free kz. $150 plus taxes on NADA "good" value. He gets you a Vermont title that is transferable.

http://www.motorecyclenow.com

Re: "Patina" The 1973 CB175 Cafe Racer

Sherwood said:
nice CL200
if you do end up parting that thing out, i'm interested in the front wheel :D

I think you should at least try to get it titled though

PM Sent.

Chuck.leis said:
There's this guy too. This is the route I'm going for my practically free kz. $150 plus taxes on NADA "good" value. He gets you a Vermont title that is transferable.

http://www.motorecyclenow.com

This is all good stuff. Makes me want to call and ask the DMV before I do it, but it seems legit...make up a story saying you already have the Vermont proof of ownership, "what do I do?" And see what they say.

I hate to clog up your thread with more title talk, but you should know that Vermont will let you register a small CC motorcycle yourself without proof of ownership and without actually living in the state. Don't pay someone else to do it for you. Here is a great thread on ADVRider about it (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655441). Apparently, all you need is a VT DMV form, a Bill of Sale, and possibly a visual VIN inspection done in your home state. Send them off with the requisite fees and, provided the bike doesn't come up as reported stolen, you should get a Vermont "transferable registration" and license plate in the mail in a couple weeks. Then, you can either ride around on Vermont plates or take that registration to your state's DMV and transfer it to get an actual title.

Most states have laws on the books that say they have to accept a title if it was properly issued by another state where the vehicle was titled last. So, NC would likely have to accept a VT registration as proof of ownership if that's what VT gives you. It may seem a little shady but if you think about it titles are just a state form for ensuring that you actually own the vehicle. If no one else claims ownership of the bike (by reporting it stolen) and there is a state that will take your offered proof of ownership (bill of sale, etc.), even if its less proof than another state requires, and will back up your claim that you own it (i.e. allow you to register it), then there really isn't a problem.

What really bugs me are the people who actually have valid titles but are too lazy to find them or get a re-issue, who then sell the bike without a title. It's sad to see so many decent machines turned into parts bikes because of this. Makes me want to buy them all up, title them for a $100 each, and sell them back to the public.

Remember that huge glob of wiring I had up front that I didn't know what to do with?

Borrowed a step drill bit and reamed out the hole on the bottom of the bucket and crammed everything in there:

va9a2u3e.jpg

Cleaned up the dash.

5a2enaju.jpg

Yessir!! And I also mounted up my fender/brace today so I know some people are happy about that :)

Removed my first tire with a angle grinder today haha. Lots of smoke. Smelled like a burnout.

7umyva2u.jpg

I also tried the CL200 tank on the 175... Didn't dig it. Doesn't flow.

pe2aju9a.jpg

1sttimer said:
Don't follow. What do you mean? Length?
Sorry, I mixed you up with someone else that I coated their master cylinder.

o1marc said:
Sorry, I mixed you up with someone else that I coated their master cylinder.

Ha, all good. You get an idea on the price of those cl200 carbs?

1sttimer said:
Yessir!! And I also mounted up my fender/brace today so I know some people are happy about that :)

I rode mine in the rain without a fender. It sucked. Flicks water everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom