1st time build-1980 Suzuki GS750 Cafe

The mounts will look the same, but you need some measurements first (sorry - I forgot this morning). Clay, how wide are your front mounts? You can either flip your current tank and measure between the ears or try to measure across the frame to the outside of the rubber pucks.

When I measure the tank it's about 2.5 inches from the inside of the cutout to the inside of the other cutout that attaches to the rubber spacers.

Attachments

• Left.JPG
    Left.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 244
  • Mount.JPG
    Mount.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 235
  • Rear.JPG
    Rear.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 261
But then again, yours is an E model and mine is an L... your results may be different but IIRC the frames are the same in that respect.

claygs750 said:
Do you have a couple pics you could send? Are the mounts pretty much the same ?
I'll snap pix and take measurements tonight. It has flat black paint now. But I'm sure your going to repaint anyway should you want it. I still have that kick ass fairing...Interested? :p BTW, I think I still have it, and if I do, I'll send the ignition, I'll never use it..

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 1,592
Looks like a nice tank and about what I'm looking for, but Hoosier Daddy said that he had a GS850 tank that was too narrow for his 750 which is the same situation as me. I don't mind a little modification, but it sounds like this wouldn't even sit down on the tank.

Well I made some progress tonight. I got the front wheel, forks, clip-ons and headlight on. Since I'm considering running a bare tank I wanted to see how bad of shape the tank was in and if there were any bondo. I'm still on the fence with this tank, but I have to admit that I like it much better bare looking. Here's a couple pics

Attachments

• latest3.JPG
    latest3.JPG
    819.7 KB · Views: 329
Any ideas about how to make the tank look like a brushed metal? There are a couple dings here and there and I'm wondering while sanding if I can create a sorta pattern that would help hide the dings in it. Is it basically sanding or do people use the grinder?

u might try a steelhaired brush (dont know the english word for it) attached to a drill for starters,wouldn`t used a grinder ,i think its a bit scetchy.....
just a thougt!
Nice buld ;)

Sounds like your talking about a wire wheel attachment. I want to create a slightly rougher texture than sandpaper so the small dings blend in a little more. If I sand the surface smooth they will be very noticeable and since it's bare metal there's no filler I can use that I'm aware of, is there? Is there a type of filler that has the looks of metal? JB weld? I don't know..

You might try pulling them out first, seriously I have had good luck with a "Ding King" better than the plastic knock off "Pops-A-Dent". I got one for Christmas many years ago and figured it was a gimmick, stuck it on a shelf and forgot about it. Then thought "What the hell" and tried it on a tank. IT WORKED and have used it twice since. Takes patience and many pulls but will eventually get them smooth once you get the hang of it.

DingKing_KRASPOL_02.jpg

I wonder if the dings I have can be pulled out with any tool. I mean they are small, like the size of a pea maybe. But there's several of them so if I go smooth bare tank they will probably be noticeable unless I can make the surface a little roughed up and maybe they will blend more.

A mate of mine did paintless dent removal. He would see dents in my car that I didn't even know where there.

30pcset.jpg

There is a basic set of the tools. You work from the inside, there is quite a bit of skill to it but the results are awesome. Worth a shot.

Typically motorcycle tanks are heavier gauge metal than automotive body panels.
Might want to check with your Buddy and see if he has done one. I've read most can't do it with the same tools.

Good point HD, might be a case of cutting out the tunnel and fixing it from the inside.

Haven't responded in awhile because it has been too cold to work on the bike, but the engine is prepped for paint and about to be installed back in. This leaves me with the electrical which is the part I've been dreading the most.

So I've put aftermarket LED taillights and signals with aftermarket gauges and headlight. I plan on going with the Ballistic battery since it’s the only one I can find that will fit under the hump. I know I need to update the regulator and rectifier, but is there anything else I need to do besides tie the connections into the existing taillight, headlight and signal wires? What would I do with the wires that went to things like the gear lights, oil lights, ect? I’m really inexperienced with electrical so it’s very confusing to me. Thanks guys

Bike is looking sweet! Electrics arnt that bad. I rewired my GS850. Keep in mind, if you switched to LED's for the turn signals they may not work with the stock flasher unit. The reason is, that they dont draw enough current to make the flasher "flash". Some peeps, buy load resistors pull more current and the flasher is happy again... with current comes heat... your old bulbs got hot, they were surrounded by air, so no problem... these resistors get hot and are most often hidden and covered up. My opinion, scary....I would change the flasher to an LED friendly flasher. The cost is about 10 bucks... No heat buildup, and its electronic so no moving parts to wear.. My 2 cents!, good luck!

BTW, all those "other lights" If you dont want em remove em... However, you may run into an issue if your bike has a center stand or kick stand switch that acts like a kill.

Back
Top Bottom