1981 CX500 Cafe Racer the 3rd, you ready for this?

downtown809

Trying to keep out of trouble
So as i sold the two prior cx builds I completed last I was cash flush and in need of another cx build while it was still spring. I had to drive 2 1/2 hours to pick this one up and Sean was kind enough to allow me to deduct gas money and trailer rental from his asking to secure the deal. The good: tank is pristine, it already has a Mac 2 to 1 header, it hasn't been sitting very long. The bad: Sean attempted to adjust the chain tension and backed the bolt out too far so I will need to split the case.

Straight tank equals nickel plate. Will build the seat like the black one with more padding and round the corners. Spent some time removing items not required and made a garbage run, feeling much better already. As the header isn't in the best of shape it will either need to be plated or wrapped which I don't prefer.

The guy at that plates these tanks charged me an extra $100 the last time I just carried the tank in so I striped it myself, a little airline stripper and a couple sheets paper beats that. This is so far the straightest tank, going to be sweet. It might seem like I am in a rut with these but I had 4 guys lined up for the last one so here we go again. I will stick to the tried and true until one doesn't sell then I will keep it as I love these bikes.

As the location that plates this for me is busy this time of year the first order of business is to get the tank to him, turned out nice with no hidden injuries.

Wow! Very nice. How does nickel plating compare to a nice basic paint job in cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1sttimer said:
Wow! Very nice. How does nickel plating compare to a nice basic paint job in cost?

I paid $400 to get these pieces painted and $280 for the first tank which I brought in ready to dip. It is the wow factor of the nickel that draws the attention.

Cool. I've heard before that plating requires a polished surface...is this true or did you just hand sand and turn it over to them?

Update such as it is: engine out, cut the rear frame off just after the cross-brace, tabs removed now just separating into powder-coat vs paint piles. Figured frame, wheels, kickstand brake lever powder, the rest paint.

While I was rebuilding the front forks a ball bearing rolled out but it isn't shown in the parts fiche, whats up with this?

Frame, head covers, headlight bucket, kickstand & rear brake lever dropped of to get powder coated, two weeks out.

I meant in general, but it seems you have posted some by now hahaha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom