Stone's CB450 project Tamara

Re: Stone's CB360

The Red Wonder said:
Awesome start man! Seems like you are following a path very similar to what I did :)

If you have just 1 of those little spacers lying around, I wouldn't mind having it...you probably already saw that I had to shave the bottom of my stem down, and now how the All Balls bearing piece is fitting out of the top of the stem. I could probably make on pretty easy too...

I'm excited to see where you take yours.

What are your plans for wheels? Harley Narrow glide like me??

yessir, thank you. I do have an extra spacer no sense spending the time making it I can just mail it to you. I'm not goin the single shock route maybe my next build, i want to do a boxed aluminum swingarm though. I am gonna do the narrowglide hub with an 18 inch aluminum wheel. what are you using for a rear wheel? I cant see myself puttin a drum hub on it anymore

stonenck said:
yessir, thank you. I do have an extra spacer no sense spending the time making it I can just mail it to you. I'm not goin the single shock route maybe my next build, i want to do a boxed aluminum swingarm though. I am gonna do the narrowglide hub with an 18 inch aluminum wheel. what are you using for a rear wheel? I cant see myself puttin a drum hub on it anymore

That will be sweet! So your front wheel is going to weigh a lot less than mine :) I am going to use the stock rear. I ordered new spokes from a place in Europe (only place I could find with a decent price and NOS) and they've been lost in the mail for about a month (maybe the price isn't worth it anymore)...but they said they would send me another set if the first ones don't arrive by Friday! I thought about doing a disc brake in the rear, but I don't know, call me lazy, but I will just stick with the drum. The rear brake does so little work anyways...

Do you think spacer would be able to fly in an envelope for $.44??? If not, I can Paypal you the $1.00 or what ever it will cost to get it here. I can PM you my address if you are serious about sending it out. Thanks man!

The Red Wonder said:
That will be sweet! So your front wheel is going to weigh a lot less than mine :) I am going to use the stock rear. I ordered new spokes from a place in Europe (only place I could find with a decent price and NOS) and they've been lost in the mail for about a month (maybe the price isn't worth it anymore)...but they said they would send me another set if the first ones don't arrive by Friday! I thought about doing a disc brake in the rear, but I don't know, call me lazy, but I will just stick with the drum. The rear brake does so little work anyways...

Do you think spacer would be able to fly in an envelope for $.44??? If not, I can Paypal you the $1.00 or what ever it will cost to get it here. I can PM you my address if you are serious about sending it out. Thanks man!

I would definitely not use lazy to describe you, your putting some serious time in that bike, I just think the rear disc looks way better you know. especially with the front disc brake overkill lol.
ya message me your address

stonenck said:
I would definitely not use lazy to describe you, your putting some serious time in that bike, I just think the rear disc looks way better you know. especially with the front disc brake overkill lol.
ya message me your address

Thanks man! Right back at you! Your welds look miles ahead of mine...

Someone has mentioned the overkill on the brakes before on my thread and I just agreed before actually thinking about it, but now I don't think that is the case. In terms of braking power vs. forward go power...maybe, but compared to the weight of the bike they came off of and the weight of my bike, they will be almost identical! And that is the one that is more important. Just because the bike should be able to stop quicker than it can go forward doesn't mean the brakes are overkill. Its crazy that sport bikes now weigh the same as they did 40 years ago with 2-3x the power.

The rear disc does look pretty good, and it would be a pretty simple thing to do. If it came down to it, I could probably machine a hub cover with brake disc mount and then weld a caliper mount on to the swingarm later on down the line. I just want to get mine done and running first. (I still don't even have a MC license!)

The Red Wonder said:
Thanks man! Right back at you! Your welds look miles ahead of mine...

Someone has mentioned the overkill on the brakes before on my thread and I just agreed before actually thinking about it, but now I don't think that is the case. In terms of braking power vs. forward go power...maybe, but compared to the weight of the bike they came off of and the weight of my bike, they will be almost identical! And that is the one that is more important. Just because the bike should be able to stop quicker than it can go forward doesn't mean the brakes are overkill. Its crazy that sport bikes now weigh the same as they did 40 years ago with 2-3x the power.

The rear disc does look pretty good, and it would be a pretty simple thing to do. If it came down to it, I could probably machine a hub cover with brake disc mount and then weld a caliper mount on to the swingarm later on down the line. I just want to get mine done and running first. (I still don't even have a MC license!)

thanks buddy, I've been welding for a long time. I am definitely not as good at solidworks as you
well its definitely overkill compared to the drum front brake it had on it lol
i'll ship that piece out today or tomorrow.
I dont have my license either but i rode mx for years

I've roughed out the levers using your plans as a guide.
Thanks for that mate.

P1030286.jpg

what is going on with the frame i see you grinding and weldin? just wondering what your heading for.?

stript.714 o/c said:
what is going on with the frame i see you grinding and weldin? just wondering what your heading for.?
just cutting off the bs tabs, welding the seams up, and replaced the downtube. havent had much time to work on it lately been extremely busy. collecting parts though :)

I'm not sure how much they actually do anything, but those seams help with rigidity. Think of an "I" beam. But from an aesthetics stand point and a finished look stand point, they look like crap and what you have done looks great! I have thought about welding mine up (not cutting them away first) and also adding in a few small cross braces in the rear to make the frame STIFFF-er.

The Red Wonder said:
I'm not sure how much they actually do anything, but those seams help with rigidity. Think of an "I" beam. But from an aesthetics stand point and a finished look stand point, they look like crap and what you have done looks great! I have thought about welding mine up (not cutting them away first) and also adding in a few small cross braces in the rear to make the frame STIFFF-er.
well those seams are just a cheap/quick way to manufacture the frame, the parts are stamped out then spot welded. I'm sure that what i've done is stronger, I plan on welding gussets and etc to the frame as well ;) thanks buddy!

The Red Wonder said:
Agreed!!! How squerly is the cb 360 frame any ways?. i havent actually rode my bike yet.

Is that really necessary!?! Now you are just showing off! I don't think these bikes could put out enough power to wear out the clutch basket/hub!

(This is me being jealous, looks awesome!)

The Red Wonder said:
Is that really necessary!?! Now you are just showing off! I don't think these bikes could put out enough power to wear out the clutch basket/hub!

(This is me being jealous, looks awesome!)

haha thanks buddy, it was pretty grooved up so I cleaned it up and my anodizer did it for free!
i'm sure youve had billet clutch baskets the feel is so much smoother so why not!?
I have alot more surprises in store :)

lassenc said:
I like it when it's done this proffessional and all by one guy!
thanks dude! check out red wonders build too!
The Red Wonder said:
Good to hear! Can't wait to see what you've got! I have a few of my own too
I would expect nothing less sir!

Back
Top Bottom