1981 Honda CB750C Cafe Project

Hey I saw your thread and thought I would just comment on the Cognito Moto conversion stem. It works amazing. I have a 1980 cb750k that I through on the conversion stem with a set of 2005 Yamaha R1 forks and wheel. It was about as smooth a process as you can get. True bolt on. The conversion stem slips right into the Yamaha lower tree. I love it and love the geometries and feel of the shorter wheel base, different rake and trail etc. Hugs corners like a demon out of hell! I still need to do a few finishing touches on it like carb sync turn signals etc.

parking%20lot_zpszggz1mz7.jpg

Heres a close up.
cropped_zps1oufvm6q.jpg

I do enjoy the line of the upper frame on these bikes. Looks like things are starting to get interesting.

BigNickel said:
I stripped down the bike to the point where I need to get parts in to start fitting everything up.

I ordered a seat off ebay. It's more of a brat style as I want to be able to take my wife out with me. I'll end up fitting a proper "hump" seat afterwords as well so I can swap them out as needed.

J15_9565-2_zpsnayc46zn.jpg

Hey I've got a link to a real good video that covers converting stems for GSXR trees and CBR trees if you want to do it yourself. Check it out.

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/How-do-swap-any-front-end-on-to-any-bike-video-td4058328.html#a4058368

Also doing a CB750C but an 82! Just did the front end swap with a 05 CBR1000RR, swapped stems and used the cognito stem and all balls bearings. Easy as pie. Working on the rear now, found 97 RF900 has same #'s just need some spacers made. Subscribed!

I bought these this afternoon; 2005 GSXR forks. They have a few scuffs but overall in very good shape, look straight as an arrow and they were priced very fair.

While I'm posting, does anyone have tips taking off the grease on the front of my motor without drying out the gaskets? I want to give it a good clean up but don't feel the motor needs to be stripped apart completely. Any tips?

2016-05-13%2005.03.42%201_zpslxppminr.jpg

MattCB750OT said:
Also doing a CB750C but an 82! Just did the front end swap with a 05 CBR1000RR, swapped stems and used the cognito stem and all balls bearings. Easy as pie. Working on the rear now, found 97 RF900 has same #'s just need some spacers made. Subscribed!

Did you have any issues with the upper clamps? Cognito's site says anything 2005 and older needs a 2006 or newer upper clamp or the Cognito clamp off their site. I'd like to just use what I have for now if I could.

generalyen said:
Don't waste your money with benji products. It's complete garbage!

I've since decided with a longer brat seat so I can take my wife out with me and I'm just using the stock tank for now. After reading different reviews and for the money, I held off.

BigNickel said:
Did you have any issues with the upper clamps? Cognito's site says anything 2005 and older needs a 2006 or newer upper clamp or the Cognito clamp off their site. I'd like to just use what I have for now if I could.
Right now I'm using the stock clamps off the donor/CBR bike, with the cognito stem pressed in (it's 1/2" longer). Once I get closer to being finished I'll see what numbers I'm sitting at and if I need a different clamps made. I am able to change the amount of the offset etc. I ordered the all balls bearings and then saw that the stem was too short so had the new one sent and pressed in. Then it bolts in pretty easy. No issues. For the CBR I'm pretty sure 04/05/06 is the same it's the 07+ that is different.

Early GS1000s and 750s have slide carbs that could be persuaded to fit, though slide carbs take a bit of getting used to, though I loved them on my 85 GSXR 750.

BigNickel said:
I've since decided with a longer brat seat so I can take my wife out with me and I'm just using the stock tank for now. After reading different reviews and for the money, I held off.
I'm curious, what seat you ended up going with? I am also starting a 81 750C project and have found a seat on Ebay I think I might order. Yours looks good so far.

mslate said:
I'm curious, what seat you ended up going with? I am also starting a 81 750C project and have found a seat on Ebay I think I might order. Yours looks good so far.

I got mine off this seller: http://stores.ebay.com/daytrader07/

Quick review - although I haven't actually mounted it yet, the quality seems to be very good, fits the frame lines perfectly and comes with a hoop and bar to weld in for screws to mount into the bottom of the seat pan. I'll post a few photos.

Mini update,

- I ordered some black clip ons.
- My seat finally arrived and looks great.
- I also had a local shop press in my new Cognito Moto stem. I did a loose bolt up and everything is good to go. I buffed the lower clamps and they are shining nice now.
- Next is to source out a 04-05 GSXR 600 front wheel, CB600 F3 rear wheel, buy new rotors and headlight mount.

Seat photos:

IMAG2193_zpsbnhak1rm.jpg

IMAG2203_zpsqotxppuw.jpg

Clamps with new stem:

IMAG2224_zpsdvlneydq.jpg

Another small update - Got the forks and clip ons loosely bolted up. Nothing we haven't seen before but excited to see things very slowly coming together.

CB750C_GSXR_600_Forks_zpssu0apiea.jpg

BigNickel said:
Another small update - Got the forks and clip ons loosely bolted up. Nothing we haven't seen before but excited to see things very slowly coming together.

CB750C_GSXR_600_Forks_zpssu0apiea.jpg

Such a sexy look! I think those gold forks on a vintage bike. I'll send you some measurements this weekend on the rear wheel shims. Sorry its taking me longer than I wanted.

BigNickel said:
Mini update,

- I ordered some black clip ons.
- My seat finally arrived and looks great.
- I also had a local shop press in my new Cognito Moto stem. I did a loose bolt up and everything is good to go. I buffed the lower clamps and they are shining nice now.
- Next is to source out a 04-05 GSXR 600 front wheel, CB600 F3 rear wheel, buy new rotors and headlight mount.

Seat photos:

IMAG2193_zpsbnhak1rm.jpg

IMAG2203_zpsqotxppuw.jpg

Clamps with new stem:

IMAG2224_zpsdvlneydq.jpg

I love that seat. I wonder if that will fit my K model?

I bought a 1994 CBR600 F2 wheel. Took my stock rear off yesterday and did a test fit of the F2 wheel. Lots to work out of course but good to see the change. Any addition info from others who have swapped similar wheels is much appreciated.

IMG_20160724_145343_zpsx5vc132y.jpg

Back
Top Bottom