Coffee Shop KZ650

Thanks! I think the seat will turn out pretty solid. I looked through just about every photo of KZs on google and decided I couldn't totally get rid of it.

Good to know on the headlight beam. I won't be running turn signals on it. I was curious about the 100W upgrade. I might stick to the stock 55 (that came with the new headlight) for now, and see if it makes sense later. No reason to burn up the whole system. I guess I could go to an 80 if its really dim, but I don't see it being a huge issue.

Haha the side covers are still in the parts box. I'll hang onto them just for you Doc....for now....

If you do run turn signals fitting LEDs is fairly easy. The only difficult part is adapting them to fit the the large openings of the existing fork ears and headlight bucket. Same for rear.

This is what I did. Buy K&S Turn Signal Stems for KZ(http://a.co/4Zr9BhJ. Cut the tips off, then drill and use a Tap & Die on open to your aftermarket LED signal threads. Then you will just need two LED flashers relays from CWS Wiring Solutions. http://www.cwswiring.com/Shop.html

A good replacement headlight for the stock lamp is the Wagner Halogen Sealed Beams H6024. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WAG-H6024/

Take a look at my thread. I put on a Wiseco K700 Kit, Cams, Oil Cooler, etc. Happy to answer any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qul25SsoN6Y

Oh solid! Those look pretty good on there!

One issue with the bike is that the previous owner stripped the wiring harness of just about everything except the head/tail lights and starter switch. So I'm working off a minimal harness. I was originally going to just buy a whole new one, but I want to keep things pretty minimal on the bike, so right now the plan is no signals/hazards/brights switches on the bars. Just a kill/starter switch.

Ah man but I should at least make it legal.....ugh I might just wire in what is needed for the signals and decide at the end if I want to add them.

Ever hear of MotoGadget M Unit?

motogadget-m-unit-625x416.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNF-h6oBczg

What about the eastern beaver PC unit? For the price, I was considering it instead of the m-unit. The m unit cost almost as much as I bought my bike for

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I've looked into the m-units but man they are spendy! The Eastern beaver option looks pretty good!

I ended up buying a flexible LED tail with integrated signals in it, so I'll wire those in with an upgraded relay for the LED flasher.

Decisions decisions...It's turning into a bit of a money pit haha, but I should have the engine back next week! I got the new Conti tires installed, frame painted, and all the controls and headlight mounted. New braided brake line, and master came together awesome and feels great just rolling it around the shop! I can't wait to get this thing on the road!

The dyna S ignition and green coils came in along with the 3 phase rec/reg, so as soon as I get the motor back in I can get it all wired up! Hopefully since just about everything on this bike is new, it will come together smoothly....but I doubt it haha.

Anyways. Next week I'll make the stainless batterybox and seat pan. I was able to get it all mapped out. Just need to decide on a seat layout. Not sure if I want the bump for the passenger further up, or pushed all the way back. Leaning toward the thinner setup.

Photos following! Let me know what you guys think about a seat setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 376
  • Kzseat2.jpg
    Kzseat2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 379
  • Kzseat1.jpg
    Kzseat1.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 364
  • IMG_2145.jpg
    IMG_2145.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 357
  • IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 365
  • IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 359
flip_rip said:
I've looked into the m-units but man they are spendy! The Eastern beaver option looks pretty good!

I ended up buying a flexible LED tail with integrated signals in it, so I'll wire those in with an upgraded relay for the LED flasher.

Decisions decisions...It's turning into a bit of a money pit haha, but I should have the engine back next week! I got the new Conti tires installed, frame painted, and all the controls and headlight mounted. New braided brake line, and master came together awesome and feels great just rolling it around the shop! I can't wait to get this thing on the road!

The dyna S ignition and green coils came in along with the 3 phase rec/reg, so as soon as I get the motor back in I can get it all wired up! Hopefully since just about everything on this bike is new, it will come together smoothly....but I doubt it haha.

Anyways. Next week I'll make the stainless batterybox and seat pan. I was able to get it all mapped out. Just need to decide on a seat layout. Not sure if I want the bump for the passenger further up, or pushed all the way back. Leaning toward the thinner setup.

Photos following! Let me know what you guys think about a seat setup.

Have you considered a longer swingarm? Maybe only +1 but somewhere in the +1-2" range would really balance the bike out. Also keep you from flipping with all that new power

Been a bit since I updated this but I made some major headway on the KZ.

The motor is back in the bike and has all fresh new parts! New pistons, rings, clips, valves, guides, seats, head was shaved by 0.020" and everything is ultra clean! Boyko Racing really helped me get the head all sorted and cylinders honed. I shimmed the valves (I cant believe the range for all valves is 0.08 to 0.18mm! I set them all at 0.10 to be safe) and got all new gaskets and mating surfaces cleaned. I installed all new stainless bolts so there wont be any more rusting on this motor and torqued to spec. All new polished hardware and motor mounts so everything looks the part. The new stator for the 3 phase system is done and wired in with the new 3 phase reg/rec unit.

I rebuilt the whole wiring harness in my apartment last week and made sure it all lined up properly with the Dyna S ignition and 3 phase charging system. I just need to drop it all in the bike now!

I'm hoping to get the wiring all hooked up and running properly this weekend so then I can start the bike next week! Still need to drop off the seat to be upholstered but, but thats about all that needs to be done.

Cant wait to get this thing running! Its nice to have fresh new parts haha! Pics Pics Pics!

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    657.5 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    975.3 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    827.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    746.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0051 (1).JPG
    IMG_0051 (1).JPG
    754 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0050 (1).JPG
    IMG_0050 (1).JPG
    667.7 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0044 (1).JPG
    IMG_0044 (1).JPG
    564 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0041 (1).JPG
    IMG_0041 (1).JPG
    661 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    847.7 KB · Views: 340
redwillissuperman said:
Have you considered a longer swingarm? Maybe only +1 but somewhere in the +1-2" range would really balance the bike out. Also keep you from flipping with all that new power

This bike got good reviews for it's handling back in the day, I wouldn't put a longer swingarm on it just for looks.

I've read that too. I've kept everything stock for now as far as fork and shocks go. I'd like to preserve the stock geometry. If anything I've just made the whole thing lighter so hopefully it'll be a hair more nimble bike.

The bike is alive! Got it started but still need to fine tune jets. All electrical is solid and running. And seat is at my upholstery guy and should have it all by the end of the week!

Photos attached! Its in its final push, so hopefully I can get on it this week!

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    721.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    821.4 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    767.7 KB · Views: 355
Well I'm like 98% there! Everything is installed and working properly together!

I got the new jets installed (17.5 slow, 118 mains per all the forum scavenging I've done) but it seems it just doesn't want to idle. Not enough fuel getting to the motor. The petcock is the new vacuum one from Z1, have any of you guys had issues with enough flow?

Its been a few months since I cleaned the carbs, so I might go through and clean them again, make sure the float height is sold and do another bench sync. Its literally just a carb tune away from running! Ah dang!

Photos attached! Next on the list is paint and some stripes!

Attachments

• IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    586.4 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    766.5 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 341
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    886.1 KB · Views: 336
I'd "spring" for some new shocks too. The factory ones are horrible. Looks good.

I agree with Doc. Those factory shocks will literally Spring and jolt you out of your seat. I got Progressive 14 series on mine(oil), standard spring rate. They are great for my weight (170); however, I kind of wish I got the 12 series (nitrogen). Standard spring rate is good for minimal load. If you weigh a lot more and/or will ride with a passenger often go with heavy duty spring.

Hagons are the other brand that KZ650 riders swear by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the Hagons, have bought several and they work well. Also, I've said this before, it's your bike and $, but why design a bike who's sole purpose is to pick up every piece of debris and throw it at your art. Fenders can look good and serve a purpose.

ApriliaBill said:
I agree with the Hagons, have bought several and they work well. Also, I've said this before, it's your bike and $, but why design a bike who's sole purpose is to pick up every piece of debris and throw it at your art. Fenders can look good and serve a purpose.

I agree and you can tie the fender in with paint as well.

Back
Top Bottom