Kick start only

fxsrider13

How to convert to kick start only? 79 xs750sf
Re-electrifying a scrambler build using an M.unit minimizing wiring so I'm hoping to get rid of the starter & solenoid
Words of wisdom please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the idea is to minimize wiring, then you need to do up a custom wiring diagram and start crimping and soldering.

I did mine for my XS650. It's not hard. You need the ignition to feed power to the coils, but beyond that just remove the starter motor (or leave it on - you'd need a block plug to keep the oil in the engine most likely), cables, solenoid etc.

The starter motor circuit however is about the simplest circuit on the bike. Again, to 'simplify' you need to start from scratch and get rid of anything silly like safety switches on the clutch lever, side stand, auto-signal light turn-offer things, buzzers for the signals (perhaps the signals themselves as well).

My XS has a single toggle switch (no key) to turn it on/off and runs on a single 10A fuse.

Simplest way is to remove the starter button and block it off. If you want to save weight, remove the starter and as much of the starter drive train and clutch as possible and block off any holes and then remove the starter relay and wiring.

Tim said:
If the idea is to minimize wiring, then you need to do up a custom wiring diagram and start crimping and soldering.

I did mine for my XS650. It's not hard. You need the ignition to feed power to the coils, but beyond that just remove the starter motor (or leave it on - you'd need a block plug to keep the oil in the engine most likely), cables, solenoid etc.

The starter motor circuit however is about the simplest circuit on the bike. Again, to 'simplify' you need to start from scratch and get rid of anything silly like safety switches on the clutch lever, side stand, auto-signal light turn-offer things, buzzers for the signals (perhaps the signals themselves as well).

My XS has a single toggle switch (no key) to turn it on/off and runs on a single 10A fuse.

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I've already pulled all the switches. But I can get rid of the solenoid? All I need is to get power to the ignition for the coils. Does it take a different charging system to covert to kick only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fxsrider13 said:
...But I can get rid of the solenoid? All I need is to get power to the ignition for the coils. Does it take a different charging system to covert to kick only?

simply unbolt it and put it somewhere safe. The only issue may be connecting the rest of the circuit if it used to be connected to the solenoid terminal. If it was, change that to connect to the battery positive.

No changes needed to the charging circuit.

Question: why remove it? it won't save a lot of weight and sometimes it's the only wake to fire a bike up. I would leave it all stock unless there is a really good reason to do otherwise - and making "Kick only" statements don't qualify as valid arguments.

For the record I regret removing it from my cafe. Mostly since I built the 750cc rephased motor. It's a beast to kick over unless it's running perfectly. So if you want to get rid of if, make sure the engine runs perfectly first. You'll be kicking yourself trying to get the engine running without the electric leg if it's not tuned and running really well. Mine starts first or second kick which is fine for me. But when it gets in a mood, or floods or whatever, it is a pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Tim said:
For the record I regret removing it from my cafe. Mostly since I built the 750cc rephased motor. It's a beast to kick over unless it's running perfectly. So if you want to get rid of if, make sure the engine runs perfectly first. You'll be kicking yourself trying to get the engine running without the electric leg if it's not tuned and running really well. Mine starts first or second kick which is fine for me. But when it gets in a mood, or floods or whatever, it is a pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Sound advice! I don't really feel like blowing my knee out! I don't think about the higher compression on 750 either. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom