Best body filler over fiberglass?

shadowray

I am modifying my side covers and added some fiberglass to them. What’s the best filler to make them smooth to prep for primer? I bought some Bondo Gold filler and glazing putty but just want some opinions. I am new to working with fiberglass.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

If they are stock OEM covers, they are probably manufactured from ABS and polyester resin doesn't stick too well to that, even if it's roughed up first.

What you could try is to modify the covers by welding extensions on from broken ABS parts or even clay and then skin those with carbon fiber or fiberglass and pull the skin off and dump the "plugs". I have made tank covers and side covers using that crude but effective technique. You could also use aluminum duct tape and card sheet to achieve the same original (plug) to take a mold off.

I needed to make a short version of a stock cover recently so I cut a 3" slice out of the cover and didn't bother welding the parts together. I just used a couple of layers of aluminum tape and made the finished piece straight off that plug. Took a bit to get get it smooth and shiny, but a lot less than making a proper mold, and perfectly acceptable for one off parts.

You don't have to create a plug and a mold and then make parts out of the mold. You can wax the plug and make teh part off that plug and sand it down after to get a smooth finish.

Or make something new and exciting out of metal.

Lots of ways to achieve the end result.

The resin stuck very well to the side covers, maybe because they are old. But really I just need to know which filler is best to make them smooth prior to primer.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Almost any filler will work. Bondo. Don't use the stuff with fiberglass stands though. Too hard to sand.

Back
Top Bottom