Hot Tank??

Mbstr51

Bikers are good people
Doing a complete rebuild nHad my Rd tank straightened the guy told me to "Hot Tank" the inside rather than coat it I have minor rust but doing a restore to hand this bike down to my son so I want it proper, Anyone heard of this is it something I can do or do I need a shop?? Thanks Gents!
The "Ol girl" before the crash :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 207
Always in transition I love this bike!!

Attachments

• toddmuscles_zps069944ca.png
    toddmuscles_zps069944ca.png
    449.4 KB · Views: 332
I think first and foremost you should acquire a keyboard with functioning punctuation keys. It'll make your posts much less painful to read, and make you look "smarter than a third grader" ;)

A "Hot Tank" is basically the parts cleaning equivalent of a dishwasher. Any decent machine shop should have one. And should only charge a small fee to clean whatever will fit inside. However, to the best of my knowledge, it's best for removing grease/grime and not necessarily rust. But I suppose it would depend on the chemicals that's used. You can consult the shop on what it will, or will not, remove.
If it does remove the surface rust you have, what you're basically left with is a bare metal part, which will flash rust if left unprotected anyway.
My suggestion would be, if it's very light surface rust... save your money. Even a brand new tank will develop some surface rust if not kept full on a regular basis. A new "in tank filter" and/or an inline filter would be a cheaper/easier investment ;)

Leave it bare, run a fuel filter and keep the tank full. If the tank has been worked on / painted, trying to get the inside coated is a risky proposition.

That being said, I've heard people going to radiator shops to have their tanks dipped. But I'd think whammo - paint dead - if you do that.

Redbird said:
I think first and foremost you should acquire a keyboard with functioning punctuation keys. It'll make your posts much less painful to read, and make you look "smarter than a third grader" ;)

A "Hot Tank" is basically the parts cleaning equivalent of a dishwasher. Any decent machine shop should have one. And should only charge a small fee to clean whatever will fit inside. However, to the best of my knowledge, it's best for removing grease/grime and not necessarily rust. But I suppose it would depend on the chemicals that's used. You can consult the shop on what it will, or will not, remove.
If it does remove the surface rust you have, what you're basically left with is a bare metal part, which will flash rust if left unprotected anyway.
My suggestion would be, if it's very light surface rust... save your money. Even a brand new tank will develop some surface rust if not kept full on a regular basis. A new "in tank filter" and/or an inline filter would be a cheaper/easier investment ;)
Not much a typer moer a rider my apolageeez T ???hanx fer yer hewlp!

As a fellow two stroke owner, I just put a cap-full of two stroke oil, in my tank every couple of fill-ups to prevent rust. If it is rusty now, do the electrolysis thing demonstrated elsewhere on this site, then rinse it with gas/oil mix, use an inline filter and you are good-to-go.

4eyes said:
As a fellow two stroke owner, I just put a cap-full of two stroke oil, in my tank every couple of fill-ups to prevent rust. If it is rusty now, do the electrolysis thing demonstrated elsewhere on this site, then rinse it with gas/oil mix, use an inline filter and you are good-to-go.

I have actually heard myths that running a tad of 2t oil is good for all engines providing extra lubrication.

I haven't done it myself though.

Mbstr51 said:
Not much a typer moer a rider my apolageeez T ???hanx fer yer hewlp!
I understand. Not everyone possesses the mental acuity to be proficient in more than one thing ;)
And you're very welcome :)

You use big words I dont understand, Ya got me man your smart n Im not its a big world out there Ill happily live on the "DUMB" side never to encounter you.... PEACE!

Attachments

• IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 240
I've worked In a machine shop and had to put more than a few blocks and heads in the tank. Yes It will take paint off.. And it will also remove rust. Longer it's in the tank the more clean it is. I believe they used a caustic chemical for these tanks but I think that the EPA has had it changed to a more ecofreindly mixture. I have heard of some old timers that still have tanks filled with the old stuff still. Good luck

caustic soda nasty stinky

on another note:if you are worried about how someone spells yer kinda fuked in the head

Back
Top Bottom