Rolled the civic last night - Back on the road!

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
So I was tired, on a road I haven't been on in the dark before, coming down an on-ramp on an old stretch of highway that has been replaced, thought it was straight shot to merge, found out the ramp was an "S" WTF? was giving the throttle a good punch to get up to the 60 mph limit only to find out there was a chicane in the ramp, tried to turn the left right left only to lose the back end and catch the shoulder, down the ditch I get pulled and end up on the roof. I am fine, not a scratch but now I need to know what to do about the car. I have liability only and even if I had coverage for this the car is worth less then the deductable LOL. Sad part is I have the rear quarter panels bought to fix the rear already so what I was wondering is, can the roofline be fixed to put a new shield in without it leaking? I can straighten and fix the sheet metal and I know there is a scrapped 97 with a good door/window/mirror I can get for like 50 bucks. I drove it home 25 miles an it drove fine.

Pics:
1732-280514122741.jpeg

1732-280514124606.jpeg

1732-280514124648.jpeg

1732-280514124728.jpeg

Re: Rolled the civic last night - now what?

Whoa, really glad to hear you came out of that fine Mike, could have been nasty. Can't help you on the car question but glad you're alright. Hope you can get the car fixed up for cheap.

Thanks Perry, I can do 95% of it, but I am worried I won't get the crease out of the window line and pass safety in sept. I am pretty sure I will get it road worthy with existing windshield to drive at least until the safety runs out end of Sept. Then decide If I should do any more. The motor job I did, head gasket, water pump, timing belt means I got 100K KM's of life in it yet if I can get the body to last that would be great, It has 366K Km's on it so it is worthless to anyone but me sadly.

Sorry to hear what happened.

But just wanted to say, I like how you rock the DTT sticker on your gas cap door. yeyuh 8)

Thanks Man, gotta represent DTT. Will need to score a new one for the repair as that was my last one.

Probably a better bet is to look for a compatible model with a blown motor and swap your decent motor into a fresh chassis.
Not $0 but it should be pretty inexpensive.
As it sits it's almost certainly fixable, but what is your time worth?

Glad you're OK!

Thanks Bozz, You know I might just do that. My engine is the base model non v-tec no one wants but it is strong running etc. I could easily just get the door fixed and prime and paint the body for now without fixing the dents and drive it till I found a car with a decent body and blown motor. Engine swaps take like 4 hours on a saturday in these things.

Mr_Dunev said:
Use it for the demolition derby

;D if I could replace it I would do that for sure. Sadly, I need a car and I am very broke. If $50-$100 will get me 3 months of driving, I will do it, then maybe Derby Time!

One of them fancy clay bars and some wax will clean that right up.

Glad you made it through that buddy.

If not demolition derby, then I would say dont do anything you don't have to. Drive it until Sep. then decide if you need to fix the windshield for "safety" reasons.

Start saving your pennies until then for another used civic or something similar. My friend had a 90's jeep 4 door. The engine caught on fire and they ended up selling it to someone on the freeway for $700 while it was still burning.

All cars have a value, and for 2 grand or so you can probably pick up another one with half the miles.

Either way GL

Glad you're ok. You should throw some snow tires on it and rally cross it. ;D

rays650cafe said:
Glad you're ok. You should throw some snow tires on it and rally cross it. ;D

Got the tires already on rims for that. I am stopping at the scrapper today to see about the door. I will get that, clean the mud, grass and glass out of her. Fix the front fender enough it doesn't rub and stop for now. I don't think I will do the rear panels until I figure out if I can pass safety or not. Ill hit any bare metal with red oxide primer so it doesn't rust. It won't be pretty but it will do until I can afford some car payments or save some dough.

Good to hear your all good mike ! I have to agree finding another one that's Compatible with yours that has a blown motor might be best way to go for the money ! Again man glad your ok cars,bikes,sheet metal can be replaced !

Glad your ok ya goofy bastard

That roof is a skin. It's better and much easier to replace the whole thing. Does the 97 have the rubber seams like yours? I'd get what I can from the scrapper and keep driving yours.

Coolest thing I've seen done in a Civic, nice work

Holy hell Mike, glad you're ok.

Watching a little too much Fast and the Furious lately, huh?

Forget about fixing up the Civic - my vote is selling it and getting a 2wd Ural and putting studded tires on it.

Back
Top Bottom