1983 Honda CB650CS Nighthawk - Cafe Racer Build

Wyotana307

Alright ya'll,

My first project bike ever and it had to be this one. It has everything it needs to run, but some fine tuning, patience, and time. Not much to it so far. I've stripped mostly everything from it that it doesn't and I'm not going to bother putting anything on it until it runs smooth. I finally got it started for the first time yesterday. It took hooking up to a car battery, cranking the hell out of it, and a lot of starter fluid. Found that the carbs leak, maybe because I flooded it, and it has very weak idol and can't stay on for long. But she turned and that's promising.

Attachments

• IMG_20190615_114731963_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190615_114731963_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20190622_091916715_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190622_091916715_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20190622_114159305_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190622_114159305_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20190622_114224398_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190622_114224398_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
Bottom end of the carbs likely needs to be cleaned. You may be able to find a service manual here. https://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp If there isn't a copy at that site PM me your email and I'll send you a copy of the one I have.

Be careful boosting from a car battery, ground to your frame not the neg post. Battery acid and babies are a bad mix.

Haha yea I grounded it to the frame and my daughter was gone once I actually started to attempt to start it. I'm taking the carbs off tonight and looking into the floats, rebuilding, cleaning. etc.

Finally got the carbs removed and I'm now going to clean em, rebuild, check floats, re-jet, etc.... also need to get new intake manifold mounts and boots. Any leads? Also, vinegar to clean gas tank and petcock?

Attachments

• Carb out Celebration.jpg
    Carb out Celebration.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
  • Manifold intake ext..jpg
    Manifold intake ext..jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
Vinegar works but takes a while, up to a week if your tank is really bad. If it just has some surface rust, vinegar should do just fine. I like to use some chain to shake around inside and break free any loose crap. Now I usually use phosphoric acid from the big box stores as you can save it and reuse it.

There's a product available called Metal Rescue. Dump a jug of that into your tank, move it around so it has time to do it's thing everywhere inside, and make sure it's warm (at least make sure it's not cold). I've used it on a few tanks and it works great, and non-toxic so it's easily disposed.

The rust inside the tank is fairly mild and surface level so I'm going to try white vinegar first a few times. If that doesn't work then I will get some of that.

Wyotana307 said:
The rust inside the tank is fairly mild and surface level so I'm going to try white vinegar first a few times. If that doesn't work then I will get some of that.

Buy a few gallons and fill it up to the top. Leave it for a few days checking it every day or so. Drain it and rinse with isopropyl alcohol. Then take a small cup mix gas for your leaf blower or weed eater and swish it around the tank to prevent flash rust.

Sweet, I have two gallons and I'm going to add it tonight and let it sit till Sunday-ish. I will use my chainsaw mix for the flash rust preventative.

Maritime said:
+ 1 on metal rescue. it works well, is that single malt good? I've not had that one yet.
the single malt is fantastic. My favorite by far. It is really smokey because they fire peat moss under it as they cask it.

Back
Top Bottom