Single rail trailer for behind the family car.

I love it.
Roughly 4 times heavier and stronger than necessary lol you build like I build and I like it.

Nice work man, I'd love one of these things.

Of course, my car doesn't even have a hitch, so I'd probably need to start there.

SONIC. said:
I love it.
Roughly 4 times heavier and stronger than necessary lol you build like I build and I like it.
It's funny because even though it looks like it's really heavy it's actually not too bad. I can still pick up the frame and carry it around the shop without too much issue and I will be sub 275 lb curb weight. It looks a little bit beefy but the only tubing that is over 1/8 inch wall is the tongue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ridesolo said:

It may be a little late, but I think you may want to do a slight re-think on the tie-down crossbar at the front. Two things: First, I think you'll find it a bit more effective if you move it forward just a bit, perhaps up to directly under that 2x2 upright. Right now it looks like it would be more or less directly under the hauled bike's axle and by moving it forward a bit you'll still be able to pull down on the forks but also pull the front wheel securely forward into your front chock for a more secure tie-down. Second, and I speak from experience, you may want to explore making some way to hinge the ends of the bar either forward toward the hitch, or angled up, or back toward the rear when not in use. Your shins will thank you. Those things permanently hanging out there like that are going to be shin/ankle magnets. It's like that hitch sticking out the back of a pick-up... no matter how long it's been there and no matter how well-aware you are that it's there it's going to get your attention in the worst way at the worst possible time.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the tie down bar is ahead of the bikes axle (at least it is if I did my math right lol). There is a bit of a method to my madness, a big part of which is having the bars "forward enough" without going to far forward. I want to still have plenty of room to access the trunk of the equinox without having to step over the bars, plus I want to make sure that while maneuvering the trailer around I would not be jabbing them into the bumper of the car. To that end they will likely get shortened. They are a little excessively long for what they need to be. I am not planning on hinging them, though I get what your saying. I like there too be as few moving pieces in a "critical" object as possible. I may just duck tape newspapers to my shin anytime I walk by it ;)

irk miller said:
I don't disagree with Corey, but being I'm already $2 in the hole, I won't make any bets on his evaluation of that crossbar.

speaking of busted legs, better have my money next time I see you if you truly value those pretty little knees yours always bragging about.....

pidjones said:
On my HF hauler, I cross front and rear straps to hold from going either way. Remember, you (at least should) have more braking power than accelerating, so the bike going forward on a panic stop is a bit more likely, even with the chock. I also have a straight strap down from the triple. This is to secure a 600 lb. GL1000, and so far has done very well. Since I built it on a 40x48 HF frame, I didn't need arms to tie to for side-to side support. Also added side walk-boards and ramps because I'd seen too many YouTube videos of people dropping bikes loading. Gave me the added benefit that I can put the kick stand down for support on the left board, and load or unload by myself.

I had thought about side boards myself, but in the case of this trailer, the only thing I have to step over is the axle itself. It's low enough that walking on the ground beside the bike is still way less sketchy than walking up a ramp beside the bike into the back of a truck ;) I try not to jinx myself by watching those videos within a two-day period of loading a bike lol

pidjones said:
I cross front and rear straps to hold from going either way. Remember, you (at least should) have more braking power than accelerating, so the bike going forward on a panic stop is a bit more likely, even with the chock.
This.
I always use 4 anchor points. More for "piece of mind" than anything else, as the weight rating of the strap will dictate necessity. But should one strap get "dangley", the other will hold tight. Since you have the chock, pulling downward directly into the chock should be all you need. However, the rearward straps will keep the back of the bike from dancing around, and give added stability/security in the event of bad shit happening ;)

Redbird said:
This.
I always use 4 anchor points. More for "piece of mind" than anything else, as the weight rating of the strap will dictate necessity. But should one strap get "dangley", the other will hold tight. Since you have the chock, pulling downward directly into the chock should be all you need. However, the rearward straps will keep the back of the bike from dancing around, and give added stability/security in the event of bad shit happening ;)

yep, I have the rear eyelets already fabbed, they just aren't welded on yet. There will also be plenty of ability to wrap a strap through the front hoop and draw the tire forward into the chock. I've had a bike do the sideways shimmy on a trailer before, but on this one there is nowhere savory for it to go besides over the side.

This is why you're supposed to do one post of your idea, a second post with you grinding on something, and a third post with a pic of it complete. ;)

irk miller said:
This is why you're supposed to do one post of your idea, a second post with you grinding on something, and a third post with a pic of it complete. ;)
I like the conversation. It's my own fault that I exude an apparent lack of ability to strap a bike down to a trailer... ;)

irk miller said:

Umm, I'll take a pass.

I dont really need to see Levi "Grinding" on ANYTHING first thing Saturday morning. ;)

Re: Single rail trailer for behind the family car.

I rummaged through the dumpster and found a bad fwd car wheel bearing with the same bolt pattern as the trailer wheel. Butchered it up, cut it down, welded it in and I have a spare tire mount. Made it with plenty of clearance to run a strap around the front bike wheel and also if I ever decide to go up to the next size bigger wheel/ tire I should still be able to fit it.
fd3fd5a718e8c2ac5a91eb210662d1a6.jpg
9d19add2263996de8469c153f03994a9.jpg
ffbc2e282d8f5264eaf64bc9834ee163.jpg
5c080cf31c14f3da39d37b98517e0788.jpg

The ramp is done. I made a strut bar out of stainless to hold it upright when not loading or unloading. I like to put a slight linear bend into flat bar to make pieces like this. Lots of added rigidity and light weight.

I made it so that it can easily be removed by pulling pins. If I go somewhere that im worried about ramp theft, I can replace the pins with pad locks, which would also make it difficult to steal the bike off of the trailer as well.
ac1b60b2d57b0b392b59e8bc08ace4ba.jpg
6fb1654633f6c7b27606907b9b1e43ab.jpg
9cef58abb6fa1a77fe85036f29f9fdef.jpg
0b6f80c29da56428b47386f060376ffe.jpg

I hope I have room for this in my box chevy for when you sell it at Mid-O for $50. This is turning out to be a sweet trailer.

Really like the way this is going. Forethought, planning, practicality, and skill. Nice, bro!

irk miller said:
I hope I have room for this in my box chevy for when you sell it at Mid-O for $50. This is turning out to be a sweet trailer.
Haha, it could happen. I already have a bunch of things that I want to improve that would likely be easier to just make a new one. I'd have to keep my torsion axles though ;)

ridesolo said:
Really like the way this is going. Forethought, planning, practicality, and skill. Nice, bro!
much thanks man! I am really hoping to get this done in time to haul a bike to Georgia in June. I think a focused Saturday could have it wrapped up, but those are hard to come by these days lol

Hurco550 said:
much thanks man! I am really hoping to get this done in time to haul a bike to Georgia in June. I think a focused Saturday could have it wrapped up, but those are hard to come by these days lol

What are your plans for paint? I know that's not your favorite area. I'm certainly not a pro, but I think I like painting more than you do, want a hand w/ that part?

ridesolo said:
What are your plans for paint? I know that's not your favorite area. I'm certainly not a pro, but I think I like painting more than you do, want a hand w/ that part?
Funny you should mention that, I just got done talking with Nick about just that. He has some left over epoxy primer from his GTO project and then we are going to use a urethane enamel over that. Trying to make it as durable as possible.

Hurco550 said:
Funny you should mention that, I just got done talking with Nick about just that. He has some left over epoxy primer from his GTO project and then we are going to use a urethane enamel over that. Trying to make it as durable as possible.

Sounds good. I imagine Nick is probably ten times the painter I am.

The top wheel chock that is welded in place was designed for the wide front tire on my bw/tw200 project, which means it wont play well with skinny tires. I made up this simple hinged chock that will bolt on when hauling normal bikes, and then will be taken off when hauling the fat tire bugger. The tire in the picture is a for a 21" dirbike rim. Also, it will have a grade 8 bolt with nylon lock nut, the bolt on there right now is just for fab up.

37937a312fdfd42b23749b45c215cbfa.jpg

af8754812c98765ed91bb51acdb8108a.jpg

That hinged ramp will pay dividends when trying to back the trailer with no bike on it! Now you'll have something to show you where it is. Thinking about adfing something to mine for an indicator.

Back
Top Bottom