Found my next BIG project...

Bobdot

Coast to Coast
Since this is at least a year away from even being close to bearing a "Big Arse Project" title, i figured I'd post it here to get some insight and feedback in the meantime. I've been ooglling these bikes for a while now and recently got the urge to build one myself. The jawdropping, ever so sexy, Drixton. For those of you who are unfamiliar, allow me to introduce you:

jan8_02_tho_cb485.jpg

Drixton2.jpg

Drixton1.jpg

big_200807202155240_Drixton202.jpg

mstwin3.jpg

I can not get over how awesome that frame is, I love it. And the tank? wowzers.

So the plan is... to build the bike from scratch... like, tube stock scratch. Fabricating the frame myself and possibly also the tank/seat combo. I have see frames for sale on ohiocaferacers, but they are $3,600.00 friggin dollars for just the frame and swingarm. The tank and seat go for about $650 all together on Airtech, but whats the fun in that? On top of all of that, I plan on designing the frame to accept a cb550 motor, with handmade 4-2 high pipes of course instead of the normal 350/450 twins. (although honda did make a 500 twin in later years...) To keep myself busy in the meantime i'm planning on modeling everything I can in Solidworks and hopefull start collecting parts sometime in the near future.

Now dont think I'm trying to kid myself here, I know how much work, money, and time a project like this would take. Which is why I'm dedicating this as my "mid-life crisis" project. No deadline, just finish before I am unable to enjoy it. And if nothing else, its not an eyesore to think about and look at everyday.

So, with that said: bring it on. Absolutely any info, pictures, ideas, insight, criticism, scrutiny, I'd love to hear it all. Thanks.

bob.

DrixtonCafeRacerHondacarbo1ottonero.jpg

Ah, the dude abides... 8)

Very cool man, be great to have something like that for ripping around on. The frame architecture is crazy, but doable. Looks kinda maintenance unfriendly though, thats my only thought. Also, why not just buy the airtech tank/seat combo? If you've ever tried working fibreglass you'll know its a bit of a bitch to get 100+% right.

Other than that, sounds like a cool idea.

Cheers - boingk

PS: You're nuts ;D

I don't know much about vintage Honda racing, but thats badass. Man what an undertaking. Can't wait to watch this build.

On a side note, that frame kinda looks like the famed Rob North racing frames.

Does the motor come out the top? If so why is the tube that runs up and forward from the swing arm pivot not running to the bend? It hits the upper tube in absolutely the worst place possible.

Wow Bob... I mean, wow. Couldnt have picked a better looking inspiration. Are you going with a full fairing as well?

man o man... that is gonna be one hell of a fun build!

will be looking forward to it!

i saw somewhere you could buy drixton kits for your 450 and weld on the support bar stuff.

boingk said:
Also, why not just buy the airtech tank/seat combo? If you've ever tried working fibreglass you'll know its a bit of a bitch to get 100+% right.

Yea, I at least want to give it a shot. I cant die happy without at least attepting to build my own tank. And who knows, by that time maybe I'll find myself in possession of some metal forming equipment....

I am a big believer in the "if someone else can do it, why cant I" philosophy. I've been building things all my life, went to school for it,and now get paid for it, no matter what, I'll have fun.

mysta2 said:
Does the motor come out the top? If so why is the tube that runs up and forward from the swing arm pivot not running to the bend? It hits the upper tube in absolutely the worst place possible.

It looks to me like it can only come out of the top. And I agree, that tube placement is interestng, perhaps we can come up with a better solution...

emcarthu said:
i saw somewhere you could buy drixton kits for your 450 and weld on the support bar stuff.

Interesting, I havent come across that yet, if you find it again post it up, I'd be interested in taking a look. My first mission is to figure out the frame so I'm on the hunt for spec sheets, dimensions, etc.

Thanks guys, I am getting really excited about the possiblities here...

bob.

Oh, and Von, I'm really into the way the naked looks but I'm planning on having the tabs so I have the oportunity to slap one on if I'm feeling particularly racey one day.

IF YOU BUILD IT....I WILL COME... :-[

:D

It would be awesome...I love those bikes...so interesting and ahead of its time!

Awesome Hoosier, thanks for the pics. every little bit counts. This WILL happen I just have to find my place in the world first... and I'm well on my way. I need some hard dimensions, amyone with some, feel free to speak.

Very nice, very nice.

I'm thinking I will build a Kawi trip drag only bike... We will see what the future brings.

Here are some related links for you:

http://www.daviesmotorsport.com/framekits.html

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_9507_vintage_roadracing/photo_04.html

Holy bejesus thats gonna be sweet....so for the next say 5 years I'll be stopping by and pestering you about this, all the time...can't wait to see the solidworks for this, just like the above said...if you build it, we will come.

Back
Top Bottom