Honda CM125 'tracker' first bike/first build

TexasChris

Hi guys,

Been lurking this forum for a good few months now, trying to gather as much knowledge and inspriration as possible, while building my first bike. Always meant to put up my project, and now as it is nearing completion, I thought I'd gather up some photos from along the way and tell the tale.

I guess I should start with a little introduction, I am a Texan living in Yorkshire UK and haven't riden a motorcycle since my Z50 dirt bike days as a kid. Dirt bikes introduced me to BMX and I have been happy with pedal power ever since.

About a year ago my interest in motorcycles resurfaced. I loved the simplicity of bobbers, trackers, 'brat styles' etc. I could relate to that more than proformance race bikes or wild choppers as it was the same approach I'd always taken with my BMX bikes (stripped down, no brakes, no pegs, simple fun). I needed a motorcycle.

Now, I have no mechanical experience, no motorcycle licence, and very limited funds. So after seeing some reasonably cool looking bikes made from basic 125s, and the fact that you can ride one in the UK with just a CBT (rather than a £500 DA licence) I decided that I would find a cheap 125, that was a bit rough looking, tidy it up make it look as bad ass as I could (well as possible with a 125) and get on the road for summer 2013.

So after some hunting around, last September she arrived in my workshop/basement...

***never really done a forum posting, so hopefully the attached pic works? If not, is there a better way of including photos?

Attachments

• start.JPG
    start.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,922
Ok, the pic worked. sweet!

on with the project... I managed to get a 1983 Honda CM125 for a few hundred pounds that some kid had put back together with his dad from a box of parts (and then decided he wanted a modern styled bike). It was all there and it ran, it was just a bit beat up, perfect!

Intitially I was drawn to the classic boardtracker influenced bobber style bike. I wanted to hardtail it, get some big fat firestones, etc. But after further consideration and discussions with more knowledgable friends, I decided that the time and money needed to take that route might be a waste on smaller bike like this, that I might end up wanting to upgrade after a year on the road. So the plan with this bike, simpifiy, classic styling, keep it on a budget, learn what I can about motorcycle mechanics along the way and see what happens.

First steps were tearing into it, but because of my non-exsistant knowledge/experience, I wanted to try to keep things that worked together and take it slow, rather than a full tear down to the frame.

The seat and rear fender came off, I cut some old BMX bars in half to mock up some flatter bars and started think about seat ideas....

Attachments

• seat off.JPG
    seat off.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 1,803
  • bars mocked.JPG
    bars mocked.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,797
  • basic seat.JPG
    basic seat.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 4,299
Next was all the junk up front. With smaller bars on, all the controls and dials were real bulky, so the ignition came off (to be repositioned somewhere more descrete later), same with the horn. And the dial that tells you if your lights are on, seemed unnessesary, so that was chopped off, leaving just the speedo repositioned in the center and as low as possible.

Also took out the air box and battery compartment (with the intention to get a smaller battery at some stage) to open up the frame under the seat. I really dig being able to see through the triangle of the frame, so that was something I wanted to keep as clear as possible.

Attachments

• dails.JPG
    dails.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 2,043
  • stripped.JPG
    stripped.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 2,978
At this stage i still hadn't really bought anything for the bike (I'd kinda used all my spare cash to get the bike) so was still just taking things off and trying to get an idea of what it could look like. But I had some paint stripper.

The bike was never going to stay stock paint, and the paint that was there was a bit trashed anyways. I've always like bare metal/clear coat finishes, so the tank and the metal half of the rear fender where stripped. I had trimmed the fender and repositioned it so it didn't hang back too much.

I like the 'realness' of bare metal, rust and all. So for now there is nothing on the tank and fender (it may need at least a layer of clear coat once its outside though).

Attachments

• bare metal.JPG
    bare metal.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,880
  • bare fender.JPG
    bare fender.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,840
Then things started getting a bit more serious, and shit stated getting cut off the frame. The rear seat section, and all the tabs and mounts for stuff i'd already taken off got cut and ground down.

Sticking with the plan of keeping things on a budget, I decided to make my own seat using an old skateboard deck. I cut it in half, added some mounting hardware, and with under £10 worth of foam and fake leather/vinyl, I had a seat.

it was starting to take a shape.

Attachments

• chop.JPG
    chop.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,849
  • no tabs.PNG
    no tabs.PNG
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,709
  • seat.JPG
    seat.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 1,766
  • seat on.JPG
    seat on.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,890
I'd done a bit of painting on it. Wheels went all satin black, and with the bare metal tank and brown seat...it was now the same color scheme as my other bike, the BMX!

Next was turn signals. I had considered not running any, but as I will be new to the road, I figured they might be a help. I'd looked into tiny LED ones, but thats an expence, and wasn't sure it would fit the bike. So I tried out just bringing them in tighter to the bike (stock they stuck out a mile) and I was pretty happy with how they sat.

Attachments

• front signals.JPG
    front signals.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,827
  • rear signals.JPG
    rear signals.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 1,783
  • bmx.JPG
    bmx.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 1,809
Finally got some new bits to put on the bike. Sticking with the black/metal/rust/brown colors got some brown grips and some natural colored wrap for the exshuast. Also a small air filler and a smaller tail/brake light. Got some high temp matt black BBQ paint for the engine, and a new battery.

I was siked on the battery. 1/4 the size and weight, meaning I'd be able to keep the frame as open as possible. I also thought as its only a little engine all this weight I'm stripping from the bike couldn't hurt its proformance (I know, I know 'what proformance'!)

The front fender was removed, not planning on running one, so the mounts were ground off and the forks will be painted black as well.

Attachments

• parts.PNG
    parts.PNG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,783
  • new battery.PNG
    new battery.PNG
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,782
  • forks 1.JPG
    forks 1.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,899
  • forks 2.JPG
    forks 2.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,803
Now, while the bike ran when I got it, the engine had a loud 'rattle'. The previous owners father suggested it was the values that needed adjusting so after alot a research and some step by step guides, I opened up the engine! Seemed to go back together right, but I'd have to wait til the electrics are back together to see if she sounds any better...

Attachments

• valves.JPG
    valves.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,833
The tail light got mounted on the end of the fender, and the engine was given its coat of BBQ paint.

Attachments

• paint it black.JPG
    paint it black.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,892
  • tail light.JPG
    tail light.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 1,823
My buddy Mike (from Survivor Customs in Middlesborogh) hooked me up with some old renthals that were just right for the bike and helped me get some juice flowing through the electrics. Started to feel like the end could be in sight!

Attachments

• new bars.PNG
    new bars.PNG
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,803
  • overview 1.5.JPG
    overview 1.5.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,943
I've said how much I like the bare metal look, I like the rust, I like the 'don't give a shit', rat rod kinda vibe. But I have been toying with adding a bit of paint to the tank. This is just a paper mock up to give me an idea, not convinced yet. It would just be that tear shape in black with the rest of the tank staying rusty, probalby with a laquer over it all. Thought it might just make it look 'finished'. Bare metal can sometimes make a bike look like a 'work in progress'?? not that that is a bad thing, but when I have finished it all, I might want it to look 'done'

Also, not sure if it would look too much like its trying too hard to look like an old race bike (which it defonately isnt), but I guess all the other styling is going that way, so why not got all out??

Attachments

• tank graphics.JPG
    tank graphics.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 1,843
And this is where I'm up to now. All the electrics work, and are stashed in a old wooden style box under the seat with an old belt holding it in place (not really, its bolted in place, the belts more for show). The front end has been dropped about an inch to try to balance out the stance. Exhuast is wrapped and back on. The carb and throttle cable need a bit of a 'tweak' before I get some gas in it and start her up again!

Hopefully in the next month I should be able to give her a test ride up and down the road and then its a case of getting legal (CBT, tax, boring stuff).

thanks for looking and i'll try to update on the final steps and finished pics.
Chris

Attachments

• elec box.JPG
    elec box.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,833
  • overview 2.JPG
    overview 2.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 1,947
??? Now this may come across as harsh, but better to have someone say something than to let you kill yourself. The bike, although cosmetically may make you smile, is an atrocity. You have spraybombed the motor, and didn't even bother taping anything off but your plug caps...? You chopped the frame without adding any support to regain structural integrity, you thought that not using a front fender was somehow cooler? You do realize the forks need a brace or they will end up caddy-wampusing your face to the curb.

Being that this is your first build, some lenience can be granted. But please, please don't "build" something by destroying its integrity for your cosmetic pursuit. Its always better to ride something you know is structurally sound over something you think looks cool.

Get a fork brace, and weld a rear hoop...at least she will be somewhat safely rideable.

And next time, don't be lazy.

Hey milehigh,

Thanks for looking at my bike and thanks for giving me a heads up on stuff.

What else should have been taped up on an engine before painting over it? (i can try to go back and fix it)

There is a cross brace on the frame a few inches up from where it was cut? and there wasn't a hoop on the frame originally? is it really going to cave in on me?

Also, wasn't aware my fender was structural. Not all bikes have to run fork braces do they? (i'm sure I've seen scores of bikes without) how can i tell what forks can be run without a brace and which ones require one?

I don't want this to come across defencive, as I am assuming that most everyone on here will be more experienced than me, just need to undersatnd where the problems are, so I can try to fix things

Bummer that I've come across lazy though, just tried to get stuck in and figure stuff out.

TexasChris said:
Then things started getting a bit more serious, and shit stated getting cut off the frame. The rear seat section, and all the tabs and mounts for stuff i'd already taken off got cut and ground down.

Sticking with the plan of keeping things on a budget, I decided to make my own seat using an old skateboard deck. I cut it in half, added some mounting hardware, and with under £10 worth of foam and fake leather/vinyl, I had a seat.

it was starting to take a shape.

The thing in your hand in the first image of this post is the rear frame brace. Having removed it, the left and right sides are now free to sway independently - affects handling and could eventually crack the frame brace forward of the cut you made.

The front fender is a rudimentary fork brace on these bikes - if you saved the fender, you can pop the rivets that hold the brace out and run it without the fender if it's a look you're going for.

And as far as the motor goes the paint's just going to flake off, is all :)

We all gotta start somewhere... and you are right, jumping in is a good way to learn. That being said, painting your motor while it is in your bike is, lazy. Pulling a 125 motor out shouldn't be too much of an effort... You should have at the very least taped off your frame and other bits that are not the motor, as to just paint the motor.

The little brace you cut off on the back keeps the back straight and keeps the top bars from moving around, maintaining structural integrity on the turns and such--the old frames aren't that great to begin with, so making them weaker doesn't help the end result. Most bikes don't come with a rear hoop, but for those who want to go with a flat pan, and cut the rear support off, they run a hoop to help regain some rigidity to the frame.

Fork braces are a must, and so is a fender for that matter. Never wise to ride without a fender, get dirt in ur eye and end up sucking the muffler of the nice truck you just rear-ended. Same goes for a fork brace, your forks will flex and can turn on the axle with any substantial force. Just ebay search for fork braces, i'm sure you will find something that works.

I am no pro, I have just paid enough attention to the wise fuck-o bastards on this forum to know a thing or two--just enough to get me in trouble.

Good luck Chris.

It appears that there is still bracing between the frame rails about 1" in front of the rear shocks. This should be more than enough.

However, a rear hoop welded on will increase stability and clean up the lines.

A front fork brace is definitely a must. Between the length and small diameter of the front forks, you will get a ton of flex and movement. As Rich said, if you want to keep the look of no front fender, pop the rivets, and run just the brace.

Keep at it, man. Welcome to the fray.

Repurposed stock fender fork brace:

419692_10150663310120159_1628099661_n.jpg

Just drill the rivets from the fender and the (stiffer) mounting piece should pop right off. A bit of a clean up and you're good to go.

haha i laughed so hard when i realized you painted the motor while in the frame hahaha made my day!
For the fork brace, yes do it.. the frame brace.. mwoa.. its a 125 and theres another brace right under the seat. should go fine. nice idea with the skateboard!

All good points man. Keep at it. Everything these dudes are saying can be fixed easily.

Also, don't be afraid to tell someone to fuck off here if you think they're being a dick. ;)

Everyones here to help. Just doesn't seem like it sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom