2005 HD Sportster Build

Steeze

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've had another build going on. I utilized this forum quite a bit when I was building cafe bikes and now I'm working on a tracker/scrambler build out of a 2005 Harley Davidson. I've wanted to rebuild a Harley for years.. finally found one and started work.

It started life as an 883 and at 7000 miles a full 1200R conversion was done... bike has 9000 on it now. Here's a list of the mods done so far...

Mods:
- Cylinders were bored with torque plates and fitted with J&E pistons to 1200cc
- Mild port match work
- Mikuni HSR 42mm
- Buell XB 12R Cams
- Adjustable ignition module
- 17" Dyna rear wheel laced to the sportster hub
- Continental TKC 80 tires front and rear
- 15" rear shocks with Progressive Springs
- Fairing has 12v outlet and switch for heated grips
- Biltwell foot pegs
- Moto bars modified to fit Moose Racing hand guards
- Custom rear peg mounts
- 2" over front fork tubes with progressive springs
- 1200R exhaust components

I decided to wrap the exhaust.. wrap is in the mail. Eventually I'll chop the rear fender and do a new brake light and side mount license plate. Possibly run rear sets and gotta paint the forks.. lots of other little stuff along the way. Here's a pic of where it stands right now. Thanks for checking it out and let me know what you think...

No joke ^ Thing's gotta be a torque monster

I'd look at suspension and tires next, Burly makes an awesome set of dual spring rate rear shocks called Stilettos. Had them on my '01 and it was hands down the best upgrade I made to that bike.

brad black said:
don't know how you ride it with those tyres.

Like a fucking boss thanks for asking!

It's got a ton of torque.. I'll admit the torque will spin tires and wheelie in 2nd. Tires are newish and I dig them.. I've got a good handle on it though..they've got good grip. I've thought about trying the stilettos and I might do that too.

It's a different ride for sure... but as far as Harley's go it stand out.. I get a lot of compliments on the bike. Most Harley riders are intrigued by the knobby's and moto bar setup. I love the ride and the style of the bike... I have an R6 also for the knee dragging stuff.

Man, I have this killer vision in my head of that HD with longer suspension and dirt bike fenders..... How sweet would that be?

You mean like.....

Attachments

• baja-iron-sportster-3.jpg
    baja-iron-sportster-3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,031
Looks like a shortened/bastardized TH. Never heard anything bad about the real deal either, one of the best pipes on the market for Sporty's

Steeze said:
Like a fucking boss thanks for asking!

It's got a ton of torque.. I'll admit the torque will spin tires and wheelie in 2nd. Tires are newish and I dig them.. I've got a good handle on it though..they've got good grip. I've thought about trying the stilettos and I might do that too.

It's a different ride for sure... but as far as Harley's go it stand out.. I get a lot of compliments on the bike. Most Harley riders are intrigued by the knobby's and moto bar setup. I love the ride and the style of the bike... I have an R6 also for the knee dragging stuff.

at work i rode a lot of bmw gs adventures with the tkc80, the vibration drove me nuts. they do hang on amazingly well though.

canyoncarver said:
Isn't that a Thunderheader on yours? How do you like it?

Yep it's a thunderheader, chopped a bit.... and I love it. I just wrapped the entire exhaust with the DEI stuff. Noticeably quieter and looks rad. Only issue is I'd have to chop it even more or do something else if I decide to do rearsets

Little update... rode a good 200 miles yesterday and it was solid the whole time. Hit wet and dry pavement, as well as a couple dirt roads. Bombing around with the family and friends...

Here's some pics of the finished exhaust wrap.. also did an oil change.. I run Amsoil Synthetic

I really like the "off road", "scrambler / enduro" Sporty - thanks for posting the pic.
The first Sporty I saw done up off-road was in Florida around 1975, when I was there for bike week and helping on the Alligator Enduro - when it was an enduro and not a duel-sport ride.
A guy showed up with and XLCH ironhead with Maico forks, long rear shocks, big enduro tank, high pipes and "all the right stuff". Don't know if he actually rode the enduro or not, but what a cool bike and I can't find the photos of it now.
Of course, back then, you could still get parts for the XLR / XLRTT and a bunch of neat motor stuff from HD and the pipes, among other things, may have been factory bits.
Enjoy your build - I'll be watching this one.
Regards,
Pat

pacomotorstuff said:
I really like the "off road", "scrambler / enduro" Sporty - thanks for posting the pic.
The first Sporty I saw done up off-road was in Florida around 1975, when I was there for bike week and helping on the Alligator Enduro - when it was an enduro and not a duel-sport ride.
A guy showed up with and XLCH ironhead with Maico forks, long rear shocks, big enduro tank, high pipes and "all the right stuff". Don't know if he actually rode the enduro or not, but what a cool bike and I can't find the photos of it now.
Of course, back then, you could still get parts for the XLR / XLRTT and a bunch of neat motor stuff from HD and the pipes, among other things, may have been factory bits.
Enjoy your build - I'll be watching this one.
Regards,
Pat

Good stuff!

Thanks Pat

Chopped the rear fender last night and wired up a new brake light. I want to round it out a little more and then weld up a rear fender rack. Just something I can bungee a bag or something to.

Just updating this thread...

Had a little fun with some 3M vinyl and vodka-Redbulls the other night. Was going for something new.. or at least something I've never seen. I like it and I've gotten great feedback from fellow riders so I guess it'll stay for a while.

Also mounted a couple spare fuel bottles.. a 30 oz between the frame and forks and a 20 oz on the rear fender. Also got a side bag setup (not pictured) on the right side. I have it zipped off but you can make out where it goes. Other than that just maintenance

Headed to Sturgis in a couple weeks... can't fucking wait!

High mount the front fender, add a fork brace and a skid plate and you're good to go on a dual sport ride! The rear fender looks just like the bobbed ones I saw as a kid on XLR's and whatnot - looks perfect IMO.
Good idea, the added fuel bottles - what did you use and are the caps gasoline proof?
Great to see someone building outside the box but keeping their ride completely usable and reliable at the same time.
Pat

Back
Top Bottom