FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build

Right so I’m looking at the ricks Motorsport reg /rec and the wiring if different to the cycle x one I had which is pictured first. It has 3 yellow which got to the rotor stator and a red and a black which go to the battery.

My new reg/rec has 3 yellow , 2 black, 1 white , 1 green and 1 white with a red stripe on it. My wiring is all new using the m unit so I’m not really sure where these additional wires should go.

Any auto elec in the house ??

Attachments

• IMG_7024.JPG
    IMG_7024.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_7025.JPG
    IMG_7025.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 198
For sure.

All of the colors should match up to the stock setup.

Red/white -> Battery positive terminal
Green -> Ground
Black (in connector) -> Switched power. Needs 12V when ignition switch on and no power when ignition switch off
Yellow x3 -> Alternator (color should match)
Loose black -> Alternator (color should match)
White -> Alternator (color should match)

Sonreir said:
For sure.

All of the colors should match up to the stock setup.

Red/white -> Battery positive terminal
Green -> Ground
Black (in connector) -> Switched power. Needs 12V when ignition switch on and no power when ignition switch off
Yellow x3 -> Alternator (color should match)
Loose black -> Alternator (color should match)
White -> Alternator (color should match)
Hey Sonreir

Unfortunately there is nothing stock in my wiring loom it’s all new, I’m running a m-unit, m-lock, dyna ignition and cycle x charging system

I’m not sure if I can omit using the redundant wires and still have the reg / rec work properly

I sent an email to Rick at Rick Motorsport last night, but I think I may have purchased the wrong one based on my set up.

Unfortunately I’m electrically challenged

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_7027.jpg
    IMG_7027.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 174
Aha! A Lucas alternator. That explains everything. All jokes aside, it's why the R/R must be matched to that alternator. Can Cycle X provide a wiring diagram and even better a system diagram or at least can they provide a matching Regulator and rectifier?

Rex's speed shop shows a bunch of them for RM21 stator. https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/product-category/classic-bikes/rectifiers-voltage-control/

Matt (sonrier) at Sparck probably has something suitable.

Hey Teazer

Cycle x provided the matching Reg /rec pictured first, but it was later on that they noted "not compatible with lithium ion batteries". This is what prompted me to purchase the Ricks Motorsport one that was lithium ion compatible. At the time of purchase I didn't even think about the different charging system etc (my own fault).

Does anyone here run a normal reg / rec with a lithium ion battery without issue ?? The whole reason I upgraded all the electrics and especially the charging system was to be able to safely run a lithium ion battery.

I don't know enough about the voltage output of that alternator and available Regulators to make an educated guess as to whether they would be suitable for a LiPo battery. I have used that alternator with Zener diode years ago but that was before anyone invented LiPo batteries.

The ones I looked at on Rex's Speed shop talk about being suitable for AGM and they mention peak voltage of 14.7. I thought that LiPo were safe up to 14.5 vols but not above that, so maybe not.

http://www.sparckmoto.com/Products/Detail/7 suggests that it will work with your stator and is OK with Lithium batteries, but contact Sonrier to be sure. Also check that yours is an RM18 or RM21 or whatever it is to be sure that it's single phase.

Looks like one of the others is for electromagnet type and one for permanent magnet. Beyond that I am getting perilously close to the edge of my knowledge.

So this is the reg /rec box so the alternator is a permanent magnet alternator

Attachments

• IMG_7032.JPG
    IMG_7032.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 185
As the old saying goes - I know just enough to be dangerous, so let's go slowly and please check my work with someone who knows what they are talking about.

OK so that Podtronics reg/Rect is for the 3 phase stator. How many wires does your stator have and what color are they? The Cycle-X site says their stator is 16 amp three phase, so in theory the Podtronics R/R and Stator are a perfect match for each other.

The question we couldn't answer was what maximum voltage does that set up generate. And maybe all you have to do is to hook it up with an AGM or wet cell first and run the motor to measure voltage at say 4500 revs and see if it's too high or OK for Lithium.

Next question - which is where we came in - how to hook it all up.

The Ricks looks like it works on an OEm electro magnet system and Lucas/Cycle-x Podtronics is indeed permanent magnet, so those are not compatible.

After connecting the stator to the 5 wire R/R, I would expect there to be two wires left over, red to the battery feed and probably black or maybe green to ground (earth).

What wires are on the stator and what on the R/R? Both should have three yellow leads to connect to each other. And there should be a Red +12v and black ground on the r/r.

On the stock wiring harness you should have two wires that used to go from the stock OEM r/r to the oem field coils (electro magnet). In theory they are no longer connected to anything, but check your FSM wiring diagram. That appears to be why the NEW R?R has extra wires that will not work with your alternator.

teazer said:
As the old saying goes - I know just enough to be dangerous, so let's go slowly and please check my work with someone who knows what they are talking about.

OK so that Podtronics reg/Rect is for the 3 phase stator. How many wires does your stator have and what color are they? The Cycle-X site says their stator is 16 amp three phase, so in theory the Podtronics R/R and Stator are a perfect match for each other.

The question we couldn't answer was what maximum voltage does that set up generate. And maybe all you have to do is to hook it up with an AGM or wet cell first and run the motor to measure voltage at say 4500 revs and see if it's too high or OK for Lithium.

Next question - which is where we came in - how to hook it all up.

The Ricks looks like it works on an OEm electro magnet system and Lucas/Cycle-x Podtronics is indeed permanent magnet, so those are not compatible.

After connecting the stator to the 5 wire R/R, I would expect there to be two wires left over, red to the battery feed and probably black or maybe green to ground (earth).

What wires are on the stator and what on the R/R? Both should have three yellow leads to connect to each other. And there should be a Red +12v and black ground on the r/r.

On the stock wiring harness you should have two wires that used to go from the stock OEM r/r to the oem field coils (electro magnet). In theory they are no longer connected to anything, but check your FSM wiring diagram. That appears to be why the NEW R?R has extra wires that will not work with your alternator.

The Pod Tronic reg/ rec came with the cycle x stator so the 3 wires that come out from it correspond perfectly.

The Ricks is perfect for the OEM wiring harness (which I no longer run) it has the 3 yellow wires which would still go to the stator

(there is also a black and a white wire that would have gone to the original OEM stator which are now redundant)

In addition to this there are 3 more wires white with red line that is meant to go to the starter relay a black to the ignition switch and a green that goes to earth.

Rick hasn’t responded to my email with an answer yet but the more I look at it the more I’m thinking I need a different reg / rec

So I’m thinking you’re right teazer she ain’t gonna work with the new stator

I didn't realize you had the CycleX PMA setup. Sorry about the confusion.

This unit will work for you: http://www.sparckmoto.com/Products/Detail/103

I'll pre-wire it to match your alternator, I just need some pics of the connectors and some measurements.

Sonreir said:
I didn't realize you had the CycleX PMA setup. Sorry about the confusion.

This unit will work for you: http://www.sparckmoto.com/Products/Detail/103

I'll pre-wire it to match your alternator, I just need some pics of the connectors and some measurements.
Hey Sonreir

Will this reg rec also be lithium ion battery safe ?

I need a picture of the connector or terminals from your stator.

Measurements as follows:
1.) Wire length needed to reach from the R/R to the stator wires
2.) Length from R/R to the battery positive terminal
3.) Length from the R/R to a solid grounding point

He Sonreir

I have extended the wiring from the stator to come into my electrical box so I currently have no connectors or ends

Measurements as follows:

20 cm

35 cm

35 cm

(question can the ground be back to the negative terminal on the battery or back to the frame is better ?

If you pm me a PayPal or flick me a link so I can sort you out for the reg / rec

Attachments

• IMG_7035.JPG
    IMG_7035.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 185
cb250nproject said:
He Sonreir

I have extended the wiring from the stator to come into my electrical box so I currently have no connectors or ends

Measurements as follows:

20 cm

35 cm

35 cm

(question can the ground be back to the negative terminal on the battery or back to the frame is better ?

If you pm me a PayPal or flick me a link so I can sort you out for the reg / rec

He owns Vintage connections too so he can supply you the other end if you don't have one yet.

I'd be happy to toss in the necessary hardware to get things connected up on your end. Go ahead and order through the website and I'll be sure to get everything pre-wired before we ship.

http://www.sparckmoto.com/Products/Detail/103

Sonreir said:
I'd be happy to toss in the necessary hardware to get things connected up on your end. Go ahead and order through the website and I'll be sure to get everything pre-wired before we ship.

http://www.sparckmoto.com/Products/Detail/103

Sonreir

Thank you very much, order has been placed

My pleasure. Thanks for the order.

Everything is ready to go into the post tomorrow. I just need you to PM me your telephone number for the customs form.

Frame or battery negative terminal is fine. I usually prefer the frame so I have fewer connections to mess with if I need to swap the battery or something else like that.

Attachments

• 20190710_174536.jpg
    20190710_174536.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 605
@cb250nproject
Can you let me know what paypal slugged you on total cost of the above reg as the aus $ down in the dunny at the moe...if you dont want to post in forum them pm me thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom