DTT Ozark Mountains GTG

xulf13

West of Tennessee
Where: The Ozarks, (base camp -near Ponca AR)
When: Memorial Day Weekend (May 26-28)

Last year in May, my good friends Cory (Clem), and Justin, came to visit me in Arkansas and to enjoy some riding thru the Ozarks. Half way into our trip, we met up with Justin's uncle who happens to live right smack in the middle of some of the best riding routes in the area and close to many camping sites, cabin rental locations, rivers, and surrounded by wonderful views. The whole trip was amazing, the roads were phenomenal, filled with long sweepers, chicanes, and hair pinned curves as you climb up and down the many hills of the Ozarks.

Since that trip, Cory Justin and I have been waiting to do it all over again, but we also wanted to extend the welcome to other friends and our DTT family. We've been sharing about our trip with friends and other DTT members and have been looking for a time and place to accommodate a large group of guests and to make an event possible. We needed a good base camp where we could host many people and their vehicles near all the good riding roads. I guess you know where this is going…

As mentioned earlier Justin's uncle lives in the area we desire to host this event and he has extended the welcome to us and Do The Ton to use his land for this GTG, that includes being able to pitch your tent, hang out, and cookout. A bathroom will also be available. Did I mention his property sits on about 5 acres of flat ground on the hills?
For those who prefer not to camp, there are cabins for rent all around the area. I will provide a list of cabin rental sites near the area along with restaurants and other amenities to do nearby such as canoeing, river floating, fishing, hiking, knitting classes (j/k) along with some great southern food.
The area also offers many dual sport routes as well, which I hope that with enough interest, we will do at least a couple of runs off the pavement, so bring your enduros, scramblers or dual sport bikes if you wish.
Well there you have it. Please PM me if you’re interested so I can count you in and work on meeting spot and work in the food logistics. We plan to cookout at nighttime and will ask that pitch in to help offset the cost.

I'm definitely interested, sounds like a good time and the XL350 should be rolling by then. I'll send a PM as the date gets closer and I can work out my schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I didn't take a whole lot of pictures but I'll post up what I have from last year's ride.

Attachments

• 20160513_122810.jpg
    20160513_122810.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 366
  • 20160513_122813.jpg
    20160513_122813.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 353
  • 20160513_123635.jpg
    20160513_123635.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 347
More:

Attachments

• 20160514_091756.jpg
    20160514_091756.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 345
  • 20160513_174255.jpg
    20160513_174255.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 325
The roads are like veins on an old mans leg up there:

Attachments

• Map Capture.JPG
    Map Capture.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 341
Yep. This one I can sink my teeth in.

Clem, gonna need 3-4 bags of bugs I can bring a pot big enough for a bag and the burner, just need a table and the Sunday paper :eek:

clem said:
What are you cooking? Oh and the proper Cajun term is a sack....20lbs or 40lbs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

Yeah nuts come in sacks too the guy here in Memphis I get (20lb) bags from calls em sacks too, I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy tho. My first fiance was a red headed Cajun that taught me the essentials... red beans, etouffee, corn bread, how to eat bugs... and running from her ass :eek:

Boilin bugs I have done a few times tho I just use the old bay and cyan, boil sausages for a while then dump in the bugs and corn, I don't like the corn over cooked.

We own a house in Harrison, 25 miles from Ponca. That weekend is normally very busy and the area is packed. If you are thinking about renting a cabin in the area, reserve it now! They go quick depending upon the weather. I'll try to make it at least one day, we usually have a full plate that weekend with a family reunion. Most of the gas stations around Newton County are mom & pop. They may or may not be open and most close by 9 pm. I suggest you bring a 5 gallon gas can and keep it on hand. Highway 123 is called the "Little Dragon". It is a short but intense ride. There is generally one motorcycle fatality on holiday weekends on this road. http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/28/Arkansas/The-Arkansas-Dragon---Hwy-123.html#sthash.fWCYFupH.dpbs
Regards,
John

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Yeah nuts come in sacks too the guy here in Memphis I get (20lb) bags from calls em sacks too, I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy tho. My first fiance was a red headed Cajun that taught me the essentials... red beans, etouffee, corn bread, how to eat bugs... and running from her ass :eek:

Boilin bugs I have done a few times tho I just use the old bay and cyan, boil sausages for a while then dump in the bugs and corn, I don't like the corn over cooked.

Throw some mushrooms in there next time. It's good. Live crawfish probably will still be out the box expensive down here at that time of the year. They came out of the ground too early this year! They're are people boiling them already heck even during the Christmas holidays! That's almost blasphemy...

Rider52 said:
We own a house in Harrison, 25 miles from Ponca. That weekend is normally very busy and the area is packed. If you are thinking about renting a cabin in the area, reserve it now! They go quick depending upon the weather. I'll try to make it at least one day, we usually have a full plate that weekend with a family reunion. Most of the gas stations around Newton County are mom & pop. They may or may not be open and most close by 9 pm. I suggest you bring a 5 gallon gas can and keep it on hand. Highway 123 is called the "Little Dragon". It is a short but intense ride. There is generally one motorcycle fatality on holiday weekends on this road. http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/28/Arkansas/The-Arkansas-Dragon---Hwy-123.html#sthash.fWCYFupH.dpbs
Regards,
John
We rode 123 last year, it was a very good ride.

Rider52 said:
Regards,
John

John 123 is one of my favorite runs thru the Ozarks. I look forward to seeing you. Thanks for your tips. We'll bring some fuel cans up with us and make sure we have plenty of wood for a camp fire as well.

And yes, if you want a cabin near by for that weekend, John is right, start reserving now.

Here is a list of a few of the cabins in the area.

Little Switzerland Cabins - 1 870-446-2693
Ozark Mountain Cabins - 1 870-446-2229
Ozark Bluff Dwellers Cabins - 1 870-446-5055
Buffalo River Bunkhouse & Bungalow - 1 870-446-5289

But there are many more available. Just don't forget that there is plenty of room for camping at base camp and it's free.
Here is the only photo I have of where base camp will be to give you an idea. (There is plenty of land available)
9e789965d40d4794fb146f6b2c23307a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom