'75 CB550K1 Gulf - Round...3, the fun stuff

Re: '75 CB550 - Gulf racing scheme

Man this build will be awesome, I love the design and that paint scheme will fit in nicely!

Wow, well thanks guys. That went over better than I thought it would! Ha ha ..

its getting that "right" orange that will make or break the look.. in my eye anyways.. lol
I see some attempts that don't look good. they sometimes make the orange to yellow'ie..or to much sunkiss orange, you wanna peal it and put it in the kids lunches.. the orange needs to punch. its the jam in the P.B. & J sandwich that makes it all stick together ;-) done right... and it'll knock the socks off all the kids in class.. =)

Well hell, it's settled then. No going back.

RustyOlive, I completely agree, just browsing google images last night...some people's attempts didn't work at all. I might have to enlist some help finding color codes and what not. Whaddya say Tyler, got room for a little painting project this spring? ;)

awesome build so far. Sucks about your 400, i've got an old 81xs400 and i have had used your 400 as inspiration for a lot of the stuff i'm doing to mine. Can't wait to see how this keeps coming along.

also, +1 for the paint scheme. this is gonna look badass

love the paint scheme, I was thinking about it and you beat me to it :'( , it will turn out great.

jmj, thanks for the compliments, friend. Don't use the 400 for too much inspiration though. I had no idea what I was doing! (and still don't! ;D )

gpreciado, I still have to build the bodywork, let alone paint it! You can beat me yet.

haha, i'm also kind of figuring things out as i go, but to me thats the best way to learn (in the case you have nothing but books and forums for sources of info) and you def have a lot of ingenuity and creativity though, which from what i understand, is essential in customizing a motorcycle to a persons specifications in their head.

about that 400, do you remember where you got the orignal exhaust for that 2-1 exhaust you had. I have that 2-1 exhaust like in the orginal picture (from the orignal bike). I have a little arc welder and figured it *shouldn't* be to hard to cut off that cone from the old one and put on a new one like you had?

jmj, you know, the original 2-1 exhaust was done by the previous owner. He made a bunch of cuts to the pipes, then bent them to work, and welded back together. I ended up blowing one of the pipes in half because of it. If yours came 2into1, awesome, but if it was a hackjob, you might want to re-look at it. As far as welding on a new muffler, easy as pie. Though, with an arc welder, you might have difficulties considering how thin the pipe walls are. You're going to have to move fast! It might save you a bunch of headache to have someone with a mig or a shop weld it up. But maybe you're a much better stick weldor than I? I'm horrible at it...

I may attempt it later on, i may have jetted my carbs potentially more than i should have, so when i get it all back together and running, if its running really rich i will probably try to open the exhaust up more by taking that cone off and figuring it out. As far as welding skills....i'm no pro, so i'll probably do a small attempt but probably i'll eventually try to find somewhere around here to do it. appreciate the help.

I say orange frame, blue body work with a small orange stripe down the center and everything blacked out.

Too much orange and blue and it'll get overdone real quick.

I hear you there PHeller. Only the frame, tank, seat and front fender will be painted. Everything else will be polished, or black.

Right on! You busy this weekend? You ought to swing by and drink some beers.

That should actually work. Mel is out of town for the day, and I have to work part of the morning, but Saturday afternoon I am free. You going to be around?

Sure am. Give me a ring when you head over.

I'm so stoked you're using these colors.....I love them so much!

Back
Top Bottom