Project "walrus" Yam XS 750

Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

Whip tire off, fix leak, put tire back on. Done. I'd say, if you're a quick fellow you can probably do it in a bit over half an hour. 8)

der_nanno said:
New tyre, especially if you're running a tube anyway? B*llsh*t.

(Unless you have shares in Metzeler/Pirelli, then of course you have to buy all new tyres for all your vehicles, including your aunt's car.)

Seriously, just fix the tube with a puncture kit and refit it.

Totally agree, just patch the tube. Or worst case get a new tube!

Re: Project "walrus" Yam XS 750

I decided to go for a new tire and I'm again riding that big ol walrus every day and it's a fun bike I can say!

Since nearly everything now is sorted I want to move onto the carbs.
First I want to build a aluminium air box for the bike when I find the time to make the air flow more constant.
Second I need to tune the carbs.

The bike starts fine and needs a good amount of choke in the beginning but what annoys me is that I can't set a idling at the right speed.

The idle is set pretty low since it's set for the bike to idle right at hot motor temperature.
That means that I need to keep the engine revving when cold.

Is this an issue I can solve with tuning the jets?
I'm running a more modern carb than the stock XS750 carb. A Mikuni from a 3 cylinder Triumph.

Gesendet von meinem EML-L29 mit Tapatalk

This is down to a slight lean condition of the carbs (assuming you're still running more or less the jetting I told you a while ago). You can tweak it a bit with the mix screws (on the bottom side towards the head). Running bigger pilots will cause the bike to run overly rich and consume STUPID amounts of fuel.

(Been at the same point a few years ago...)

der_nanno said:
This is down to a slight lean condition of the carbs (assuming you're still running more or less the jetting I told you a while ago). You can tweak it a bit with the mix screws (on the bottom side towards the head). Running bigger pilots will cause the bike to run overly rich and consume STUPID amounts of fuel.

(Been at the same point a few years ago...)
Thank you nanno.

I changed the mains to bigger ones a few months back and turned the mixture screws out a bit but this didn't seem to solve the issue (since then the bike seems to 'spit and spatter' when cold and started with choke).

Well of course, because you tweaked the wrong part - let's discuss this on different channels and then present the result on here. That should be more efficient.

Been using the bike very regularly. Very nice and reliable.
One thing that annoys me Is that I need a proper catch can or some kind for the crankcase.
When I stand on the traffic lights the fumes of the burning oil are intoxicating.
What are you guys using?

Hi Rian

Sorry to say but the exhaust gas is pushing past the piston rings, indicating that at the least the engine need new piston rings. :-[
Unlikely a catch can will stop all the fumes as it still needs to vent, and it must be burning oil out the exhaust.

Use a longer hose and filter and route it underneath the battery box up towards the seat. If it's just fumes: deal with it. If it's spewing oil (like mine), you're getting closer towards rebuild o' clock and a longer hose will help to have the oil run back into the engine.

Find a alloy drink bottle,clean off the paint/anodising(for something smaller have a look in the energy drink isle) .. drill a hole somewhere towards the top for the crank vent hose,cut the end at about 45 deg so it wont get blocked off if it hits the bottom of the bottle..then put in some loose coiled steal wool to trap any oil and it may help with fumes...put a filter on the top in case it gets a once over by the 05.....

Attachments

• IMAG0274.jpg
    IMAG0274.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 149
Back
Top Bottom