belt sander for polishing?

isal

Just got an email from Harbor Freight. They've got a 1" belt sander for $35 with a coupon. Anyone have any thoughts on using a belt sander as a polishing tool? I was thinking that with a 600 grit belt it could make pretty short work of a lot of real estate.

Also, belt sanders are great at putting flat spots on curves if you don't keep the part moving. Keep them in the wood shop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HF does have the buffer on sale right now though and it works ok from what my customers have told me

Joe, I saw that one too. Only problem is it broke my $40 pain threshold. I thought the belt sander was interesting because the idea of hand sanding anything makes my carpal tunnel scream bloody murder. OTOH, I should probably consider the buffer too. I have a bench grinder, but that buffer looks like it would be easier to bigger parts under.

If you get buffer, spring the extra cash for 8"
Belt sander will work as a linisher, just use red rough on belt.
It will still be real aggressive but will also make short work of nasty stuff.
1" is really a bit narrow though, most linishers are 4"~6" (maybe wider but I've never used one of those)
Generally better to use a stitched mop, cement and emery powder to make super fine 'soft' grinding wheels on a polisher

Back
Top Bottom