Powdercoating Carburator (Cb360 1974)

ManuR

Hey,

I have just powder coated my carburetors. since i didn't found a lot on this subject when i did my research.
I am gonna post some stuff and pictures here.

My setup
- Eastwood dual voltage powder coating system
- Prismatic powder, Ink Black
- Glass bead blasting the carbs
- DIY Industrial oven

1 Blasting
- Sode: Verry safe, doesn't do any harm to the Carb or engine, Can Clog passages and be hard to clean out.
- Glass bead: Much faster than soda blasting (at least for my setup) but you have to be sure to clean it all out perfectly, doesn't really clog so easier to clean out.

2 Out gassing
The next important step for powder coating a Carb, is to out gas it, the pores of the metal are packed full of oil and fuel.
And if you don't out gas it very good, it will result in a very ugly fish-eye sorta finish, Been there and had to start from scratch again.
Temp = 440°F, Time = 40-60min.

The next thing to know here is that the cb360 carbs have plastic plug in them (which i forgot to take out ...
So you will have to find something to fill it up (Any ideas? :p ).

But the most important thing is, don't suspend it from it's thin parts in the oven!! i have done this, and the carb warped (from it's weight not heat warpage). to bad i don't have a picture. The top of my carb, where the cover lid of the vacuum Diaphragm goes. was bent on two corners almost to the extend of 1/2". i freaked out when i saw this. but i put the carb back in the oven, heated it up really good (450°F) end pushed it top down on a big steel block. i got i fairly straight again, i think i got away with it. But do keep this in mind !!

3 Masking
This part is kinda obvious, but maybe the most important part, the powder goes absolutely everywhere and you don't want to have to sand it out the inside of the carb.

4 Powder coating
Spray the inside corner and crevices first, than do the big surfaces.

5 Enjoy
I Can't say it's perfect, but it's way better than before.
These babies are gonna look good on my black engine.

If anybody has any idea as to what i can fill the pilot circuit hole with, please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_5021.JPG
    IMG_5021.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 290
  • IMG_5025.JPG
    IMG_5025.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    972.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_5057.JPG
    IMG_5057.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_5053.JPG
    IMG_5053.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_5052.JPG
    IMG_5052.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 283
  • IMG_5061.JPG
    IMG_5061.JPG
    891.5 KB · Views: 289
ManuR said:
If anybody has any idea as to what i can fill the pilot circuit hole with, please let me know.

Dang dude that really sucks. No idea what you can do with that.

Did it come out when baking them?

The carbs look really nice too.

11494-230917152309-2724114.png

That bent fuel line inlet might cause some troubles.

May be a able to tap it back in straight.

11494-230917154106-27252086.png

You got the linkage assembled backwards, may not make a bit of difference though.

11494-230917154106-27261377.png

trek97 said:
Dang dude that really sucks. No idea what you can do with that.
Did it come out when baking them?
The carbs look really nice too.

Yes it sorta dripped out when they where in the oven. As to the solution, i have looked around, and i will try to buy some 10mm teflon rod. turn it wit a lathe to the right diameter. and press it in, should be fine no? :)
That's the only plastic besides Polyethylene off which i am almost sure they can withstand fuel.

That bent fuel line inlet might cause some troubles.
May be a able to tap it back in straight.

Yes that was one of the many times i really cursed, the copper wire holding it up while powder coating let lose so i am kinda afraid to tap it back into place and it making leaks around the inlet. i will see how the flow differs on both carbs.

I updated the original post for the "umbrella" mistake ::)

ManuR said:
Yes it sorta dripped out when they where in the oven. As to the solution, i have looked around, and i will try to buy some 10mm teflon rod. turn it wit a lathe to the right diameter. and press it in, should be fine no? :)
That's the only plastic besides Polyethylene off which i am almost sure they can withstand fuel.

Yes that was one of the many times i really cursed, the copper wire holding it up while powder coating let lose so i am kinda afraid to tap it back into place and it making leaks around the inlet. i will see how the flow differs on both carbs.

The teflon rod plug sounds like a great idea. If you can, try to run pure gas without ethanol. Its the ethanol that dries out and destroys rubber and plastic parts. Plus your diaphragms and o-rings will love you for it.

I wouldnt be worried so much about fuel flow as leaking. If memory serves me. I actually pulled an inlet barb out entirely w fuel line. Im thinking I just gently tapped it back in w hammer and it worked fine without leaks.

ManuR said:
The next thing to know here is that the cb360 carbs have plastic plug in them (which i forgot to take out ...
So you will have to find something to fill it up (Any ideas? ).
[/b]

I did the same thing in my cb450 and melted the plastic collars. I used some .30 cal bullet casings to replace the plastic plugs. Just cut the flat end off and drilled them. Put two of them cut sides together (like this: [ ] ) and voila. I also trashed the felt washer in the process so I used some waxed dental floss wrapped around the throttle shaft as a new throttle shaft seal. Works fine, no air leaks.

The bullet casings sound like a cool idea!

I have orderd Some: ptfe, pe and delrin. I used the teflon because ... that was the original choice.

07ccec09d7ee4305de4625c00460e327.jpg

da40a58ccb91f28c6c6d652a73717e1e.jpg

It came out grate, rebuild the carbs and bench synced them today, and she fired up instantly! And they look great.

b3618a35f68e55f9413a7930545fa442.jpg

3eab4f0ca84262ef6600a10aabd04313.jpg

Back
Top Bottom