Summer sleeping quarters

Ringo said:
I think the 3" trim works nicely. Looks cold down there still! We're baking way up north here.
Yeah I have to agree. The smaller trim looks a little better. As far as the weather goes its been crazy. We had temps during the day in the 80s and 70s in March. The month of April its been in the 30s-40s. Just today I think we dodged a winter bullet. They called for 12-18" of snow today but it's melting about as fast is it hits

Saved the best for last. I decided to add a small kitchen and started looking for a vintage stove. I found one I wanted in Pennsylvania on Craigslist but the guy got wigged out because I was calling from out of state. Initially he was asking $100 then he accused me of wanting to scam him. The conversation got very weird, all the time I thought maybe he was stoned or something. Just when I was about to give I found out that the guy lived just down the road from Meg and Rich. Meg was willing to contact him and if the price was right they'd buy it for me. Guy ended up raising the price to $180 but Meg was able to talk him back to his initial asking price of $100

So they picked up the stove for me and I got to do a road trip. Best of all got to meet their new addition Elias. What a beautiful little guy he is and so lucky to have two of the best people on the planet as parents! And as always, good to see old friends...Major thanks to Rich, Meg and Elias for the help!
The stove is in fantastic shape for being over 90 years old. The outside porcelain is in fantastic shape. There are a few chipped places but for the most part the porcelain looks like the day it left the show room floor. Most of the chrome however is rusted back to metal and the oven has a couple panels with pin holes. If I were going to put this in my house I'd probably have some of the chrome redone and remake a couple of the panels in the oven. But its going in the cabin so at this point I'm not going to worry too much about it. For the time being we wont use the oven. Everything else on the stove seems to work. After I convert it from Natural gas to LP we'll check it over more closely.

Estate gas stove mfd between 1900-1920

Awesome project, had something like this on a friends farm in Edinburgh, PA. Can't wait to see what it looks like in the end.

Estate gas stove mfd 1900-1920

DSC_0706.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

SwissGuy said:
Awesome project, had something like this on a friends farm in Edinburgh, PA. Can't wait to see what it looks like in the end.

Thanks man I appreciate it! Happen to have any photos of your friends place? I'd love to see them. Maybe I could get some ideas or maybe a little inspiration.

troybilt said:
Thanks man I appreciate it! Happen to have any photos of your friends place? I'd love to see them. Maybe I could get some ideas or maybe a little inspiration.

I'll dig some up, although based on what you've got going on, doubt you need inspiration! I'm loving the look of the place already.

I really appreciate the kind words. Honestly I'd love to see it. While I have a direction, its always good to get different ideas. If you can find some feel free to post em up here.

That guy was strange for sure.......

I don't think I asked while you were up - how much hassle will it be to switch the gas?

This reminds me of my cabin.
My dad pulled me out of school for a week when I was in 6th grade to build it. He said I'd learn more doing this than sitting in a classroom (he was way right)
Mine was my summer getaway when I was growing up, had bunkbeds for us kids, a wood burning stove for the winter time and an assload of fishing gear.
So so so many amazing memories from the cabin.

P3020012_1.jpg

I was just thinking about this last night. How is that window working out? Did you figure out a way to brace it in the center to eliminate that flex?

Troy is no longer posting on DTT. Probably temporary, but there may not be any updates for a good while...

wow. i had to post so i could get updates on this thing if he ends up posting the finished product some day. what a great project!

Will be back at it very soon guys I promise. The project has been simmering on the back burner taking a back seat to other projects. Not much has been done since my last post other than purchasing about 3ooo boardfeet of some really nice rough sawn pine. It had a little popular mixed in but mostly pine. Some of the boards are 15-16" wide and up to 16' long. Really stoked about that.
Dad is in the middle of updating one of his bathrooms so he probably won't be around much for the home stretch. I've made some decision about electric and plumbing. I waffled on not having electric instead it was going to have LP gas lights. Decided to wire the building for a couple lights and outlets. If I plumb water to the building it will be for limited use. I plan to have a sink in the kitchen that will be cold only for the time being (hope to build a drain back solar hot water system sometime down the road. The bathroom will be on the outside of the existing foot print attached to the back side of the building and will house a shower, sink and composting toilet. A 200' ditch will need to be dug from the barn to run the utilities. Plan is to run both water and electric but the water won't be hooked up to the building until next phase down the road.
The cabin is south facing and has plenty of solar gain in the winter. It should stay nice and toasty when the sun shines however, I hope to locate a small wood stove for days when the sun doesn't shine. That will come later as well. Right now the next step is to finish studding out the walls, rough in the wiring, insulate and finish with rough sawn walls, ceiling and floor.
Its kind of cramped at the moment because some of the newly purchased lumber is being stored inside. So a little organizing is in order. Hopefully one day this week.

To keep everyone entertained thought I'd show some of my latest projects.
I'll post a few pics after I post this to keep from losing what's here already.

Back
Top Bottom