cb350

w00dst0ck

Pulled my motor on my cafe project. Not sure if I should tear into it to rebuild. Bike has 23k miles. I just pulled off the top cover to check out the cam/rockers/cam chain. I haven't checked the cam chain tensioner. Waited for my manual to show up, and they sent me a cb350 four manual, so I have to send it back tomorrow. Motor didn't leak anything from what I saw before I pulled it apart. Bike has been sitting a while, but PO said he had it running last year. Opinions? I don't want to tear too much into it until my new manual gets here. First cb350 I've owned, so I don't know a whole lot about the motors yet.

399504_3145234594095_1361930883_3228469_547786026_n.jpg

Pulled off the clutch cover and it looked pretty bad. This was after I spent about 30 mins cleaning it.
398724_3145234114083_1361930883_3228468_1249942196_n.jpg

You shouldn't remove the cambox cover unless you plan to work on the top end. It's not like a modern bike where the cover is just a cover, on the CB350 the cover is integral. If you're lucky, nothing will leak when you put it back and retorque, but you need to recheck the valve clearances.

Yes, I noticed this. Similar to an old vw engine. There was a little oil coming from the headgasket after I removed the cover. Chances are I will not be able to get it to seal completely so i'm probably going to go ahead and tear it down and do headgaskets and cam tensioner while I have it out.

Right side points are completely missing. I will probably replace both, and i'm already going to have to adjust everything anyway.

Ditch the points and condensors all together and get the Pamco ignition. I love mine and it's only a little over $100.

www.cb350ignition.com

djelliott,

I've been looking into another ignition, but wasn't sure which to go with. Going to look into it right now.

Just checked the link I posted and it worked fine. Try this one:

http://www.cb450ignition.com/Index350.htm

No problem. I LOVE mine. Starts on the first kick almost every time and runs smooth as silk.

hi,
the first thing that you should have done is try to get it to run,ck g/box,clutch and charging /lighting system before removing it. at minumum ck compression and do a leak down test to isolate potential problems,now you have no idea.
you can perform a differential leak down with the engine removed and it will let you know the integrity of the top end but not help with the gearbox or clutch of course...
goodluck, joe@ vcycle
www.joesvcycle.com

Reasons why I didn't try and start it:
No ignition
Wiring was opened up
random aftermarket switches
right side points missing
no battery
carbs were gummed up and stuck open
purple homeade throttle cable was seized

PO said he had it running a year ago. But from the looks of it, I would think he was lucky if it turned over.

Sure, I could ordered what I needed. But I would rather tear down the motor and put it together myself than play guessing games. I don't trust anyone's work/word but my own (personal experiences/reasons). After all, I plan on riding this one quite a bit compared to my others so why not spend the extra time to freshen up the motor? ;D

I hate to say this, but I've decided to throw the motor back in and see if I can get it running before tearing it down. Unless the PO lied to me, the motor has no known issues. The build is coming along quite a bit faster than I anticipated so I don't want to rebuild it right now unless it has compression issues once I get it back in.

The only thing I have removed is the cambox cover. What are the chances that I can just put a new gasket on it and torque it back down?

You can do this, but just make sure you torque it down in accordance to the sequence and torque specs
that are in the Honda manual. I'm not too savvy with the whole picture posting thing, so best thing I can
say is download the manual- if needed I can probably dig up a link. This has to be done just so as two
of those engine studs are also oil passages- and it WILL leak if you just tighten it up your own way. By the way
if you happened to knock the cylinder head or barrel loose (breaking the gasket's seal) while the head nuts were off....then it
will most likely leak like an old BSA.

Now that I went back and saw that you noticed oil coming from the head gasket area....
I can pretty much guarantee it will leak like an old BSA, until you throw a new set of gaskets
at it. I am working on a CL350 right now (same thing) and I'm not a professional by any stretch
of the imagination. This thing is easy as pie to work on. I'd encourage you to just go the extra couple
of steps and just tear it down while it's out of the bike. With those miles, and the bike's obvious lack of
care by the PO, it's gonna need that cam tensioner replaced, new rings and a hone at the least, and
some fresh gaskets. Do it right, and do it once and you won't be sorry.

Thanks.

I still have some frame work this weekend, and paint. So that gives me a little more time to work on the motor. And the gasket sets from bore tech come with headgaskets, so I guess I might as well.

Still waiting on my correct manual to come in the mail. Once it does, I will have no prob. taking it apart.

Back
Top Bottom