76 CB360 (GrayBird)...DONE w/new pics!

Re: 76 CB360 (GrayBird)

KOCONUT said:
Hey Az, I am a recent adopter of a CL360. The only prob is someone robbed the exhaust off it. Have heard this is somewhat common. Havent been able to locate another one, do you perhaps know if a CB360 system would work?

I do not know for sure. There are others here that know these bikes way better than me. Maybe someone will chime in.

KOCONUT,

CB system will fit, you will have to run down the correct rear brake pedal as well, check parts fiches as you may need more parts depending on years. Pins, springs, etc.. Sonreir went through hell trying to get his CJ to take a CB style system and had all kinds of fun. Might shoot him a PM as well.

On that note, I would believe that a CJ 2-1 system would fit without the brake pedal change as they look similar. It also tucks under the bike further to clear the pedal.

Thanks alot frogman, and thanks to Az for allowing me to hijack for a sec!

Getting there on the seat. made a new pan out of stainless steel sheet. I have a big block of seat foam that I cut took a chunck out of to match the pan. Welded two nut on the end and will be able to tighten the seat down using the existin holes from the inner fender. I am also mounting rubber bushings under the seat for the support. Also hopeing it will help absorb vibration. Fabric will be a black marine grade vinyl with stitching running accross every 1.5" or so. Should look good.

Also mounted new tail light. I thought it turned out nice.

Seat is getting upholstered next week!!

Attachments

• IMAG0914.jpg
    IMAG0914.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,082
  • IMAG0919.jpg
    IMAG0919.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMAG0917.jpg
    IMAG0917.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,085
  • IMAG0925.jpg
    IMAG0925.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,120

Got the seat back from my upholstery guy. I thought he was just going to use a marine grade vinyl and he shocked me with the good stuff that mimicks leather, aged leather.

I am happy with the way it turned out. Only my second seat build. I do wish I would have made the edges wrap down an inch or so.

i left things so I can still go back to the stock seat just by removing the tailight. I am going to do one more seat with the same concept and style but using a stock 360 seat pan and cutting the rear end of it down by six inches or so. That way I can still have the similar look and use the existing hinge and lock.

Attachments

• IMAG0967.jpg
    IMAG0967.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,078
  • IMAG0969.jpg
    IMAG0969.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMAG0968.jpg
    IMAG0968.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,019
  • IMAG0965.jpg
    IMAG0965.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 979
All I have left is to rebuild master cylinder. I also need to get an axle mounted license plate. I just have it on the fender like it is to be legal.

Rode the bike around a little. Sounds good and ran great thanks to CrazyPJ fixing the carbs. There is still a little fine tuning to do but she is ridable!!

Attachments

• IMAG1035.jpg
    IMAG1035.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 824
  • IMAG1038.jpg
    IMAG1038.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 811
  • IMAG1036.jpg
    IMAG1036.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 807
  • IMAG1034.jpg
    IMAG1034.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 810
Hey AZ, go find some CJ air boxes or at least the covers! They have nice smooth round surface without the bolts right in the middle of them and they should just bolt right in for your bike. Might take some more paint but they are worth it IMHO. Did that exact thing to mine and love it. Plus I think it makes it sound a little throatier.

I put some pics up on the show and shine if you want to look... Not post whoring or anything. ;)

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=33634.msg362896#msg362896

Bike looks awesome all the way around man! Enjoy it. ;D

That may be a problem, I modified them to use with K&N filters ;D
They could be a little lean mid range with stock airbox? (of course, it could also be better than stock :eek: )
Pull plugs and post a picture ;)
BTW, just went back and downloaded pics to enlarge them.
It looks pretty damn good 8)

Thanks Peter. I love how it turned out. Just want to ride the damn thing!!

I pulled plugs last night and had a nice light brown/amber color. I believe that is ok? I will get pics up tonight.

You guys on this forum have been a wealth of knowledge and help. I appreciate it.

Thanks to Frogmans info on using CJ side covers, I picked a couple up, blasted them and painted/cleared them today. I think I got them to match the frame color pretty good. Had to do a little modifying along the top to get them to fit. If I didn't have the tabs on the frame there would have bolted right on. It was between the grey or black color. I wanted grey. Thought it tied in with the frame better and doesn't stick out.

Also rebuilt my master cylinder so decided to polish it all up the best I could while it was off.

Attachments

• IMAG1094.jpg
    IMAG1094.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 884
  • IMAG1096.jpg
    IMAG1096.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 898
  • IMAG1067.jpg
    IMAG1067.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 921
  • IMAG1070.jpg
    IMAG1070.jpg