mcilduke

Hi I'm Jimmy and I'm from Nr. Ireland.

I have just completed replicating the 125cc Ace into an 6O's Honda racing bike.

I restore old British bikes, mostly BSA Bantams. I have three Bantams a 1954 D1, a 1965 D7, a 1968 D14/4 and a 1961 Triumph Tiger Cub, as well as the Ace and a 2013 800 Suzuki Intruder.

Attachments

• ace 1.JPG
    ace 1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 245
  • ace 2.JPG
    ace 2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 237
  • ace 3.JPG
    ace 3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 244
  • ace 4.JPG
    ace 4.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 232
Many thanks.
The only thing done to the engine apart from the straight through exhaust pipe, is the carb has been rejetted to run better from cold.

Though I take it out occasionally it's mainly for show. At the moment I am sourcing a front wheel for it with the hub, and ditching the disk brake to make it look more authentic.

Jimmy.

Welcome to DTT!

You've done a nice job with the 'Ace'. They're a lot of fun to ride, especially if you extract a few more horses.
The pipe on your bike is somewhat similar to the one I used with a modified OEM muffler.

Keep us posted on any progress with the front hub.

Crazy

Attachments

• new pipe.jpg
    new pipe.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
Welcome in mate, sweet looking bike love that 60's racer style, look forward to any updates shouldn't be too much trouble finding a twin leading shoe hub for her always here for Q&A's

Attachments

• IMAG1105.jpg
    IMAG1105.jpg
    808 KB · Views: 218
What mods have you done to the engine Crazy?

Like the Hailwood rep Yorkie. I got Mike's Autograph 2 weeks before he was killed. He opened the Kings Hall Motorcycle Show here in Belfast.

Jimmy

mcilduke said:
What mods have you done to the engine Crazy?

150cc, oil cooler, removed electric start (2+kg!), removed choke butterfly, rejet, removed EGR.

It's pretty well all documented here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43357.0

Crazy

Hi Crazy.

Update on the front wheel converted to hub brake, and handle bar clamps ground off.

Jimmy.

Attachments

• ace hub 6.JPG
    ace hub 6.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 207
  • ace hub 5.JPG
    ace hub 5.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
  • ace hub 4.JPG
    ace hub 4.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 210
  • ace hub 3.JPG
    ace hub 3.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 200
  • ace hub 2.JPG
    ace hub 2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 214
  • ace hub 1.JPG
    ace hub 1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 204
That looks good. Did you have to respoke the wheel or repaint the hub or is it a new piece?

I have been wanting an ACE for a while now but I still believe they are unavailable in the US.. No clue why they would be..

Hi Luugo.

I got the wheel brand new complete, already built with hub, brake shoes and wheel spindle from EBay. To the door for £89. the wheel is for a Honda CG 125, which is basically what the Ace is. I had to cut the two brackets off the right hand fork leg which hold the caliper on, then get a small alloy block welded on to the fork leg to act as a brake anchor. I sprayed the forks to match the frame, I am trying replicate as close as possible, the 1960's racing Honda that Ralph Bryans won the 50cc World championship on.

I bought the fairing from BB Plastics in England £150 including screen. I sprayed the fairing the grey the same as the tank and seat unit. I then masked it off and sprayed the yellow flashes, stuck the Honda decals on and clear coated the whole lot.

Jimmy

Well done man. I thought the fairing had come to you already painted, nice work there.

Do you have a photo of the brake anchor that you welded to the fork leg ?

pic's of fork leg with brake anchor welded on.

Jimmy.

Attachments

• IMGP2524.JPG
    IMGP2524.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMGP2525.JPG
    IMGP2525.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMGP2526.JPG
    IMGP2526.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 205
Back