Road recommendations near Asheville / Maggie Valley NC?

Chuck78

Been Around the Block
Looks like we'll be heading down through Daniel Boone National Forest to camp 2 Thursdays from now after work, explore a bit Fri AM in the Red River Gorge area, then head toward Asheville NC and end up at Maggie Valley Sunday-ish (wife has to be there for work Tuesday).

The area is chocked full of the kind of incredible scenery and twisty roads that I love, almost too many to choose! I was hoping some of you could help me narrow down the really critical ones that would be the most to my likings based on your experiencences.

Incredible mountain/cliff/waterfall scenery is tops for me, as well as lots of tight curves with some excellent elevation changes thrown in there. Nicely banked low to mid speed curves and great pavement are a plus, but also the less engineered twisty backroads have a different but equal allure for me. A small amount of straight-ish sweeper roads or 35mph roads can be thrown in as well if they lead to incredible views or link to other amazing twisty bits (the BRP near Maggie is the best section according to the tourism vid)

Fire away... Thanks everybody. Early 38th bday treat for me since my wife will be working at the Wheels Through Time Museum Tues-Mon the weekend of my bday following my visit.

Decent commercialized tourist-drawing video:
https://youtu.be/2X9IfnwxqBE

I know the dragon is near there, which I may crack and ride, but I'm really trying to find the "better" roads nearby and avoid it's congestion, commercialization, and low speed limit+LEO presence. Not sure how far away 421 "The Snake" is, but a vid I watched of 2 guys riding that made it seem to be quite the "must-ride."

Chuck78 said:
Looks like we'll be heading down through Daniel Boone National Forest to camp 2 Thursdays from now after work, explore a bit Fri AM in the Red River Gorge area, then head toward Asheville NC and end up at Maggie Valley Sunday-ish (wife has to be there for work Tuesday).

The area is chocked full of the kind of incredible scenery and twisty roads that I love, almost too many to choose! I was hoping some of you could help me narrow down the really critical ones that would be the most to my likings based on your experiencences.

Incredible mountain/cliff/waterfall scenery is tops for me, as well as lots of tight curves with some excellent elevation changes thrown in there. Nicely banked low to mid speed curves and great pavement are a plus, but also the less engineered twisty backroads have a different but equal allure for me. A small amount of straight-ish sweeper roads or 35mph roads can be thrown in as well if they lead to incredible views or link to other amazing twisty bits (the BRP near Maggie is the best section according to the tourism vid)

Fire away... Thanks everybody. Early 38th bday treat for me since my wife will be working at the Wheels Through Time Museum Tues-Mon the weekend of my bday following my visit.

Decent commercialized tourist-drawing video:
https://youtu.be/2X9IfnwxqBE
Blue Ridge Parkway is where you'll want to go riding. Trust me, you won't regret it!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

If you can get over a little to the west, 28 is a great road. Little bit of everything. To top of it is the famed Deal's Gap (NC starting point for the Dragon). I've taken it from there to Franklin, and then from there 64 down to Highlands is also a good romp.

Actually heading to that part of the world on May 20....with 7-8 lads to do some riding. Home base will be near Wheelers on 129 outside of Robbinsville. Looking forward to seein' ya Jimmy!!!!

There are too many good roads to list. And I'd probablay just get you lost if I tried to give directions. Unless you can find a local guide, I'd suggest one of these guide maps. Author, Wayne Busch, is a local and covers some of the best rides in Western NC.

http://americaridesmaps.com/

Ha. I was going to answer- All of them. Lots of little mountains to climb and long roads to scour. Even jump across the border and run the Cherokee Trail, Hwy 11 for the Autobahn-esque road and beautiful vistas.

Don't miss Dale Walkers "Wheels Through Time" motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley while you're there.

o1marc said:
Don't miss Dale Walkers "Wheels Through Time" motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley while you're there.
His wife is gonna be working there Mon and Tues ...

Back
Top Bottom