**locO leoN SR500 Bratstyle Bike** Officially done...

locOleoN

Is that the best you got? OK.. now my TURN...
So.. this bike is officially done... Nothing left to do... She's been rejetted and runs like a top!!

Before: She started life as a stock 79 SR500. The only mods were Supertrapp exhaust & Mikuni VM36 Carbs...
IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

Work to be done:
- tank & wheels painted matte black
- 11 inch shorty rear shocks
- hayabusa front master cylinder
- Goodridge stainless steel braided lines
- get rid off stock headlights and ears install new chopper headlight
- relocate all the stock wiring from inside the headlight bucket, to underneath the tank
- lower front end
- Telefix adjustable bars
- wire up aftermarket turns
- Chop rear frame rails
- rebuild seat
- Exhaust wrapp
- new CDI and battery Lesser Kit
- build electrical plate
- Test jetting

I think the pictures speak for themselves... I dont need to provide a narration do i?

Seat 1 build:
IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

HeadderWrapafter.jpg

Seem like everyone hated that rear tractor taillight..
IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

So I rebuilt a new seat and slapped on 59 caddy taillight and used a chopped up harley fender...
IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

Slapped on an old saddle bag:
IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

had problems with a floating idle...
I replaced the old cracked carb intake manifold, rejetted the pilot jet and it now runs like a top!!..
Fires up on the first kick!

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

So at the end of the day... Love it or hate it.. I started off with this:

IMG_0511.jpg

and ended up with This:
IMG_2212.jpg

The last bit of mods will include a
1. Battery Eliminiator kit:
DAytonaBatteryLesserKit.jpg

2. New CDI:
sr500CDI.jpg

3. Under tray that Im building to hide all the electrical components:
ElecPlate2.jpg

All the parts are sitting in my desk waiting to go on the bike...

Other than that, shes on the road tearing up the streets!!..

the SR500 is truly a volatile LOVE/HATE relationship!!..
IMG_2238.jpg

man i have to be honest that tail light is killig the flow of the bike! can you wire in the turn sigs to act as brake lights as well? keep that back end clean and smoooooth? what about the bag being leveled out to flow with the lines of the flat frame rails?

JRK5892 said:
man i have to be honest that tail light is killig the flow of the bike! can you wire in the turn sigs to act as brake lights as well? keep that back end clean and smoooooth? what about the bag being leveled out to flow with the lines of the flat frame rails?

ya think??... thats exactly why I like the tail light.. it so "in-yer-Face".. it doesnt conform to any expected standards... especially the bag.. I dont like it level with the frame rails like every other bag that Ive seen on your typical bike...

ehhh...mabe its just me.. but I think it looks real cool...

ya tht is a good point about the bag i kind of like it now that you say that. but the tail light, needs to be tucked on the swing arm or something in my opinon, the back of tha bike is way to clean and smooth for it

JRK5892 said:
ya tht is a good point about the bag i kind of like it now that you say that. but the tail light, needs to be tucked on the swing arm or something in my opinon, the back of tha bike is way to clean and smooth for it

yeah... I hear ya... The thing is everyone mounts the lights on the side of the bike, right or left...
This 59 caddy light is so "right there"... it almost defines the bike... That exactly why I dont want to hide it!!..

Mind you, Im not happy with the gap between the light and seat foam...
I did just buy this vintage tool pouch/bag:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350392415102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

that Im gonna wedge between the seat and the light to fill in the space... Camon!!.. look at that price!! ;D

I even really like the old tractor taillight on the first seat!!.. It completely defines the bike.. just like that saddle bag ...
IMG_2238.jpg

yep i think that would be the perfect answer for it as well! would tie it in a bit better! great idea i would have not thought of that!

JRK5892 said:
yep i think that would be the perfect answer for it as well! would tie it in a bit better! great idea i would have not thought of that!

that was actually Saucer's idea to put some kind of vintage front fork tool pouch, from a chopper or something to fill in the gap. unfortunately most of the fork tool pouches are prefectly round and about 10-12 inches long and about 5 inches in diameter... too big and long for the back of the seat... Im hoping this pouch will work. Hell for $10 why not take a risk?

I'm backing your play on this one Noel. That caddy lamp is just what that beast needs, and the bag is perfect where it is. Nice subtle edge to the whole look.

CresentSon said:
I'm backing your play on this one Noel. That caddy lamp is just what that beast needs, and the bag is perfect where it is. Nice subtle edge to the whole look.

ahahah!!. Thanks man!!... You sir have an eye for style!!.. ;D

hahaha.. so funny... So I took the bike out for a boot around the city on Sunday...
I ended up at the St. Lawrence Mkt. Went in to talk to a buddy... when I came out, I over heard a goth-like chick saying to a friend as she was pointing to the taillight, "wow, I wonder if that thing vibrates like a sybian".. BHAHAHA...

huh....

AKA, it looks like a big dildo. I agree.

IMO, the light looks amateur at best. The bag is fine, I like it better with Loco instead of the star. I have some scrap heavy duty leather. I could make a tool bag for your forks no prob. I got snaps too. Also, the seat cover looks a little sad, try stuffing a little batting in there.

Basement has it right...I share the same opinion. I think the seat really needs to have some batting beneath so you can get rid of those loose ends. It's really distracting to the eye. It's like a bike one sees and sees the total potential and can only notice the one thing they would change (or two.) The light would work better as a side mount plate setup I think.

pawn said:
Basement has it right...I share the same opinion. I think the seat really needs to have some batting beneath so you can get rid of those loose ends. It's really distracting to the eye. It's like a bike one sees and sees the total potential and can only notice the one thing they would change (or two.) The light would work better as a side mount plate setup I think.

Ive never heard of "batting" before.. what exactly is it and where can I get it?

any fabric store will have you covered. See if you can find some polyester batting since it won't hold water. It doesn't really matter what you get though since the cover should be pretty impervious. Batting is just a fill material.

BATTING

pawn said:
any fabric store will have you covered. See if you can find some polyester batting since it won't hold water. It doesn't really matter what you get though since the cover should be pretty impervious. Batting is just a fill material.

BATTING

thanks for the heads up... Off to Queen St. I go...

batting is a must, wallmart has it as well, it will do wonders for any uneven surfaces in the seat as well!

Back
Top Bottom