'75 Gold Wing Resto-mod

slikwilli420

Been Around the Block
I just picked up a '75 wing from my uncle last week. He had it for about a year, started it a couple of times (with old belts) and decided that he didn't have time to fix her up. I was the first person in line and I snatched it up for the princely sum of $350. It is, as far as I can tell, all but complete. The big ticket items are the K/Q seat that needs to be switched out for stock and the exhaust, which, while complete looks like it may be toward the end of its useful life. If it can be saved, it will be refinished and stored. Regarding the seat, what are the best options for stock? I see DSS sells one for $200 but shipping might kill me. I intend to ride with my wife, so both stock looks and comfort are key. It was also missing the kickstart arm, which I managed to pick up this weekend at a local swap meet for $8!

My plan is to walk a line between restoration and modification. For instance, I will keep stock fenders but if I cannot find nice replacement items, these will be powdercoated silver or painted body color. I do not want to disrupt the original design with anything wild. I will refresh the wheels with SS spokes and likely polish or powder the hubs. Stock front end with new internals and fresh brake components, as well as new rear shocks, probably Hagons or Ikons, built for the bike and its intended use.

First up is to replace the timing belts and possibly tension rollers with fresh units. I know it runs since I have heard it but I don't want to risk any damage until that is done. After the belts, I will tackle the carbs which sounds like a bit of a chore but I have rebuilt 4 cylinder carbs from my CB750 before so I at least have the mindset of being detailed. I will probably go with the Randaak's kit unless someone has another suggestion.

I read Randaak's article on bringing a bike out of long term storage and will follow that procedure after the belt/carb refresh before riding. Fuel and water pumps will eventually get attention before trying to ride, but I want it to run nicely first.

Here is a picture of the bike in my shed. The bodywork is there but not installed, along with the K/Q seat.

Attachments

• 20160523_213507.jpg
    20160523_213507.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 329
Alloy wires were stock on 75 and 76 models. After that was comstars then aluminum mags. Wheels will get anodized or powdered gold to match the stock red color on these early models. Just can't warm up to the teal.

I see you found Randaak's site if you haven't already check out ngwclub (aka. Naked Goldwings ) it's a tremendous source of resources for GL1000 and GL1100S

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom