Suzuki sp400 with a Mikuni vm?

rcj78

Hi - I'm new here. I have an '81 suzuki sp400 that I just want for fun in the dirt. I want to run a free flowing pipe (maybe with a supertrapp?) and put on a mikuni vm with a foam filter. The motor will otherwise be stock.

I've done a search here but haven't really found the info I need. Does any one here have a bike with a similar setup and can they tell me a size of VM and the jetting they use? I've been told the xt500 set up of a VM36 might work? But I'd like some more info before I buy stuff.

Sincerely, Rich. Australia.

VM36 will definitely work. Running a TM36 on my XT500 as a modest street-setup nowadays and even had a VM38SS (that's a Suzuki OEM TM38 out of an early 80ies DR600) on it in the past and even that worked fine. Be aware that in order to flow sufficiently, a Supertrapp will have to have quite a few disks installed, which directly puts you into bleeding-ears-mode. (And those who know me, know I am not afraid of a bit of noise...)

If possible and if you're aiming for max. horsepower also get a larger diameter header-pipe as that will shift the rev-band up quite dramatically. (Running a 1 3/4" instead of the stock 1 1/2" on my XT).

Hope this helps you a bit, I know it's not an SP, but should be close enough for comparison!
Greg

Back
Top Bottom