What did you build this week?

Shit dude wish I'd known you when we did our bathroom.

Wish I'd known you and been able to coerce you into doing our bathroom.

Ha
The Jimbonaut said:
Shit dude wish I'd known you when we did our bathroom.

Wish I'd known you and been able to coerce you into doing our bathroom.

Ha, pre gimp and I'd have helped for beer. Post gimp I'd still help but you'd have to do more with me telling you how LOL. This is like my 7th bathroom reno. 3 mine 4 for family/friends

Maritime said:
And Done:
1732-040319185203.jpeg
You might wanna hang some drapes. You ain't that good lookin ;) :p

Maritime said:
Ha
Ha, pre gimp and I'd have helped for beer. Post gimp I'd still help but you'd have to do more with me telling you how LOL. This is like my 7th bathroom reno. 3 mine 4 for family/friends
The post-gimp version works for me mate, but I've got an iffy neck. I'll have to re-delegate to the missus - she'll no doubt re-delegate to the cat. We'll probably end up with one huge litter tray, but there'll be beer.

Not much going on over here lately.
I did pick up a set of drivers for some Klipsch Chorus speakers so I decided to build some cabinets for them.
After a lot of back and forth I decided to give MDF and veneer a go, mostly because I've never done a lot of veneer and I wanted to learn the skill.
I'll probably go back and build some nice solid walnut cabinets at some point but this has been a fun distraction for a bit!

I'll post up some finished photos when I get the veneer on, be they good or bad lol

Attachments

• chorus1.jpg
    chorus1.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 165
  • chorus2.jpg
    chorus2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 285
  • chorus3.jpg
    chorus3.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 296
  • chorus4.jpg
    chorus4.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 315
  • chorus5.jpg
    chorus5.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 330
Not really built today, but modified. Retuned the EFI for speed density mapping with the original intake. Driveability is crazy better than with the ITBs and tuning is much easier to dial in. A short 15 mile drive and things are about perfect.

Attachments

• 20190319_141447.jpg
    20190319_141447.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 159
SONIC. said:
I did pick up a set of drivers for some Klipsch Chorus speakers so I decided to build some cabinets for them.
After a lot of back and forth I decided to give MDF and veneer a go, mostly because I've never done a lot of veneer and I wanted to learn the skill.
I'll probably go back and build some nice solid walnut cabinets at some point but this has been a fun distraction for a bit!

I'll post up some finished photos when I get the veneer on, be they good or bad lol

Sweet, I built some MDF Cabinets for my floor speakers and they absolutely kill the old crappy particle board cabinets. I thought about walnut or another dense wood but for the price, MDF is where its at.

SONIC. said:

Those will sound great. Did you brace them, MDF can flex?

I used 1" for my subs but I may try birch ply for the mids and tweeters.

advCo said:
Sweet, I built some MDF Cabinets for my floor speakers and they absolutely kill the old crappy particle board cabinets. I thought about walnut or another dense wood but for the price, MDF is where its at.

MDF or high grade plywood with no voids are the best wood materials for speakers.

SONIC. said:

I love the 3m backed veneers. I have a series of sculptures where I used a cherry in various ways. They adhere really well to a variety of shaped surfaces. One using a paper cutter to slice them into 1" squares to create a parquet pattern and one in lengths, for examples...

WU55hec8CD8dNJxk.jpg

OMF0fWBR_zhhXKl2.jpg

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Those will sound great. Did you brace them, MDF can flex?

I used 1" for my subs but I may try birch ply for the mids and tweeters.

Yep the face has another linated piece of 1/4 cabinet ply on the back to make the baffle 1", and I still have to get around to glueing in some more bracing for the large panels.

Irk those look great! I'm using a 2ply wood backed Walnut with contact cement. We shall see how it goes. Small tests look good so once the bracing is in it's time to give it a go!

CrabsAndCylinders said:
MDF or high grade plywood with no voids are the best wood materials for speakers.

Yep mdf is the best sonically. Or HDF really, but as a woodworker it just feels cheap and shitty. We shall see if I can live with them or rebuild some nice ones!

SONIC. said:
Yep mdf is the best sonically. Or HDF really, but as a woodworker it just feels cheap and shitty. We shall see if I can live with them or rebuild some nice ones!

It does feel like a cheap product when you are used to solid wood. That being said it has advantages in some places like speaker boxes. Just do a good job on the veneers and you'll be happy I am sure.

MacIntosh is known for doing cabinets out of spaced ply and filling the gaps with sand. About a good as it gets, sonically speaking. When it comes to MDF, i prefer not to think of it as wood at all, but instead a wood-like composite. It routes so easily, I actually prefer it over many woods for sculptural production.

irk miller said:
MacIntosh is known for doing cabinets out of spaced ply and filling the gaps with sand. About a good as it gets, sonically speaking. When it comes to MDF, i prefer not to think of it as wood at all, but instead a wood-like composite. It routes so easily, I actually prefer it over many woods for sculptural production.

Yep, it's amazing on the CNC, comes off ready to glue with zero cleanup. It's really just sawdust and glue :D The first picture is straight off the CNC.
Stability is a huge plus too. Don't have to worry about leaving the door open, spiking the humidity and cracking a speaker.
But it still doesn't feel right to me :D

Back
Top Bottom