Yamaha FRZ400RR Exup streetfighter almost 100% !!

bikerdude73

I bought a 1993 Yamaha FZR400RR EXUP as a project last year. Ive finally started doing something with it.

Here it is when i bought it

61_-1698963409.jpg

Here it is stripped down a little

fzr400rr2.jpg

Working on the front wheel

mc-dekk6.jpg

Front wheel after new paint

fzrframfelg.jpg

Front wheel with disks that i put some paint on to make them look better

fzrfremfelgmedskive.jpg

Front forks with new paint. Im just not in the mood for polishing ;)

fzrgafler.jpg

I also have a pretty busted fueltank wich needs some new paint and a R1 streetfighter rear-end. Those will be yellow, close to my cafe racer colour on my SR 500.
Got some Thunderace calippers, but not sure ill use them if im gonna sell this bike.
But the project is slow. Next is to put on the parts ive done and take off the rear-wheel and monoshock spring to give them new paint.
After that i have to fit the new rear-end and get the tank to look nice. Lots of small jobs as well around the bike.
Hopefully it turns out looking cool. Got a brand new Viper stainless Exhaust for the little guy when its closer to be ready for the road.

Re: Yamaha FRZ400RR Exup streetfighter project.

awesome scoot that frame is awesome! let me know if you need any parts i can cehck from what i have left over on my 600 build!

Can't wait to see where this goes!!!!

Awesome bike!!!!

Cool bike man, I just picked up a FZR 600 yesterday. I'll be following this.

wheel, rotors, and shock look nice. those are cool little bikes, very nimble on the street. looking forward to see it all come together.

Hey all

Im having problems with my frontend.
The dimensions on my front forks is 43mm's
And i dont want to ride with clip ons i want a proper fighter look with some nice bars.
Any ideas on wich used Yamaha parts i can use insted of my top-yoke?
For example i know the V-Max has 43mm frontforks.

Any input would be great. ;)

This is one way i can go, but its over 300 bucks and i live in Norway.
Also i would much more love a top-yoke that i can put handlebar-risers on.

0903_sbkp_03_zvibration_reducing_adjustable_clip_ons_with_vroc_technology.jpg

0903_sbkp_02_zvibration_reducing_adjustable_clip_ons_with_vroc_technology.jpg

If you are thinking of selling it, it may be worth more stock looking. Have you tried Barry Mead at Meadspeed for a fairing? Tanks can be beaten and filled.

YZF600R tanks fits straight onto an 88-89 frame and looks nice, but the EXUP is a different beast and less common even in the UK.

HELI bars used to offer riser type clip ons - they may still have them.

hillsy said:
ABM do replacement top yokes with risers:

http://www.ab-m.de/en/products/superbike-conversion/superbike-kits

Looks like they only do down to FZR600....which might still fit??

FZR600 dont fit to my knowledge. FZR1000 some years have 43mm forks, but i need to check the distance between the forks and also to see of the hole for the ignigtion overlap so i can get it to fit.
Thx for the tip though. All i need now is befriend a dude with a FZR1000 from the right year :)

teazer said:
If you are thinking of selling it, it may be worth more stock looking. Have you tried Barry Mead at Meadspeed for a fairing? Tanks can be beaten and filled.

YZF600R tanks fits straight onto an 88-89 frame and looks nice, but the EXUP is a different beast and less common even in the UK.

HELI bars used to offer riser type clip ons - they may still have them.

The bike wont be stock again. The fairing is to expensive and ive already bought a R1 streetfighter rearend plastic cover including a nicely used seat.
Also here in this country this bike is very rare and therefore not easy to sell. A totally stock bike wont be worth more than i will be charging for this bike when its done.
And it will be sold as fast as i can get it done. I have this bike and an XT600E i want to sell and then get myself a cheap veteran bike. Honda CB750Four or a Suzuki GS1000 for example.

bikerdude73 said:
FZR600 dont fit to my knowledge. FZR1000 some years have 43mm forks, but i need to check the distance between the forks and also to see of the hole for the ignigtion overlap so i can get it to fit.
Thx for the tip though. All i need now is befriend a dude with a FZR1000 from the right year :)

Knowing how the Japs like to change pretty much everything between models, I'd say it wouldn't fit.

Cheapest / easiest / fastest option would be to get some alloy risers and take them to an alloy welder and have them TIG'd on to your stock clamp.

hillsy said:
Knowing how the Japs like to change pretty much everything between models, I'd say it wouldn't fit.

Cheapest / easiest / fastest option would be to get some alloy risers and take them to an alloy welder and have them TIG'd on to your stock clamp.

Yea i dont really think i have a chance of finding a top yoke that will match perfect. But i have a very good mecahinc buddy who can perform small miracles some times.
The welding idea is something i think about, but im not sure in want to destroy the original top yoke.
I think this will probably be one of the last problems im gonna solve on the bike.
Might just sell it with clip-ons if i cant find a cheap way of doing risers and have it look good.
And if i save that job for last i can still test the bike as is and see if it will be ok with the current setup, but a streetfighter look.

Those FZR's have such a beautiful frame, can't wait to see how it looks naked. I'm looking for a local one in good shape for the right price.

Finally got rid of the clip ons. Used parts from a Honda CL 200 from 1974 i think. 7 bucks from ebay plus shipping to Norway ;)

Things are looking good, but need some paint. Also will have some problems with wires and such beeing too short.
Ill deal with that later. A buddy of mine has some ideas.
Next is to put on the front end and pull of the back end and do some work on that.

Here are some pictures.

1styre.jpg

2styre.jpg

3styre.jpg

looking good!

how does the fit work with the top of the front forks? do they stop flush with the top of the triple clamp, or will you need to grind the base of the mount?

what are you planning on doing to the back end?

fastcat14 said:
looking good!

how does the fit work with the top of the front forks? do they stop flush with the top of the triple clamp, or will you need to grind the base of the mount?

what are you planning on doing to the back end?

The front forks will fit fine i think. No need to grind.
The back end will be modified to fit a R1 streetfighter seat unit. Not sure how ill make it fit yet but im not in a hurry... yet :)
Paint will be black wheels and yellow bodywork like the tank and the back end plus the front fender.
Hopefully it will be ready when the spring comes.

Been a while but ive done som progress at least and meet a few problems as well.
Im done with the front and rear wheel. But i still need to put the rear brake on.
Other problems is the fact that its not that easy to mount a headlight as i thought.
I might have to buy some streetfighter stuff, not sure yet. But i do know
that since this is a Japan model fzr400rr i have to use the original instruments.
So any solution have to involve them.

Here are some photos of the front and rear wheels:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I havent been able to work on this bike for a while. But now because of the winter things are happening again.
The bike was washed properly to get all the dust of it and placed at a mates garage.
I have moved away from using a R1 rear end because it takes to much work. Instead we are repairing the original parts.
There are things that are broken wich needs to be fixed and also strenghtend.
The rear seat has been redone. The main seat looks good.

Also i have bought these to mount the headlights: http://www.ebay.com/itm/43-47mm-Streetfighter-Cafe-Racer-Stunt-Headlight-Fork-Brackets-Black-/300630986190?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45ff00cdce

The ones i have now im not happy with when it comes to clearance against the frame.

I also hope to get some NOS-bottle "look alike" just to try and make the complete look.
Although i might scrap that idea.

Here's a pic of the bike the way it looks now while we are working on the original rear end. Pretty much as naked as it can get :D
Hoping to get more done in the time to come..

fzr9.jpg

fzr10.jpg

Got some new goodies for my fighter build.

New KN filter:

knfilterfzr400rrbilde1800x600.jpg

Nice sticker that came with it:

knfilterfzr400rrbilde2800x600.jpg

And a new digital speedo from ebay. Hoping i can use this when i get my ignition box back from UK were they are removing the Japan restrictions on the bike.

digitalspeedofzr400rr800x600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom