CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget

Some of you might have thought I'd taken a break or fucked orf somewhere sunny....but no, I've been busy but trying to do stuff as I can.

Really needed to get the seat in progress, so after an unsuccessful glueing marathon where the seat foam wouldn't stick around the edges due to too much elastacity I had to add another skin to tidy it all up. Turned out nice in the end me thinks :)

Drew a pattern to see how it might look....good imo.

Couldn't get the folds to suit the stitched seams I'd like but it's close enough.

Underside is neater and ready to take the cover. The razor sharp tin thingy is to hold down the cover securely.

Going to run the bug out of the garage so I can wheel the bike outside and de-grease the underside & engine ready for a splash of gloss or satin black.

Thanks for checking in :D

sincerelyadam said:
Nice! Did you use chemical bonding medium (glue) to secure the yoga mat to the pan? What kind?

I used rattle can spray glue and wish I hadn't as it wasn't strong enough to hold the layers of mat to base and foam together. I then used a tin of EvoStik which was much better but by now I had a rough, multi-layered finish that would've looked gash when covered. So, I wrapped another skin over the whole lot and fixed it underneath as well, much better.

I was relying on the EvoStik to hold the foam to the ally base, but as I hadn't trimmed the foam to sit snugly enough (only roughly) it pulled away.

So my tip would be to make sure the foam is in good contact before glueing, rather than hope the glue will pull down the foam....it's all a learning curve :)

Looking forward to seeing it covered :)

Looks Good, I would get someone to tidy up the wiring if you know any one who is competent enough. :p

I have just acquired a CB400f and I am thinking about going for a similar look !!

SonOfNoRiders said:
......get someone to tidy up the wiring.... who is competent enough. :p

Good idea, pass the Yellow Pages haha!

Had to start the bug (not run since last November) so I could drag the CBX out. Well pleased as it started after a just a few cranks which is ace and ticked over after a few jabs on the throttle :D

Wheeled out the bike and gave it a good going over with me new Nilfisk pressure washer. Dang well got most of the shit off it so I can now paint the frame and engine.

I couldn't resist throwing the guards and tank on to cheer meself up a bit.

Then I thought hang on, there's my entire fleet on the drive.....

Bounced the rear a few times and I think the mono-shock will work out nice :)

That Bug is looking sweet! What if anything has been done to the Beetle

Very cool build NR! I really like everything you're doing here. Just a note about your tank. It looks great but I do believe that it is a cb400f tank which is much cooler than a 500 tank IMO! Fits that bike's style perfectly! Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kamn said:
That Bug is looking sweet! What if anything has been done to the Beetle

Thank you Kamn, damn nice of you to say.

Well...since you asked ;)

Owned it about 9 years and replaced/repaired the lower 6" all round with the body on. Did most of the bodywork except welding and Ford Rio brown satin paint top coat, I did all the fabrication and body prep as well as rebuilt it. A year later dropped out the engine to clean it up, ended up with replacement barrels and pistons while early (pre65) drive shafts were fitted to allow the deep dish 7x15 Halibrand reps/215BFGs to fit under stock wings. Custom built and powdercoated 4" narrowed beam to accommodate the Rocket Launchers (you couldn't tell) wheels are 4.5" Ford PCD, modified brakes to suit. All the underside is cleaned and stonechipped, so quite clean all round. I built it to be a 'slamdoor driver' and use it as often as I can. It's far from perfect but it suits me nicely for that.

There's a build thread if you'd like to see the epic story and have an evening free haha. http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=682286

Kanticoy said:
Very cool build NR! I really like everything you're doing here. Just a note about your tank. It looks great but I do believe that it is a cb400f tank which is much cooler than a 500 tank IMO! Fits that bike's style perfectly! Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Kanti...it's shaping up how I want it :D

That's for the info on the tank, the fella at the swap meet told me it was a 550 tank, but having bought a '77 400/4 for my son it has the same shape tank as well. I really like the slabsides which shows more of the engine and the chrome flip filler cap is cool, although I do still like the stock tank, both will fit so I might chop n change ;)

Gave the bug a run out on Sunday to a local VW Aircooled event and bagged a Top 10 place in the show n shine...proper chuffed I have to say ;D My mate blagged Best of Show as well....

My 'bottle' trophy.

My mate's clean n cool '67.

Three smart Beetles...even if I do say so myself 8)

If you are still looking for an adhesive to bond layers of close cell to each other and to a substrate like aluminum, I have always depended on Barge cement. Put it on both faces, let it tack up until it are dry to the touch, put them together and you will have to use a grinder to get them apart again.
For one of my own projects, I am thinking of using just the shaped foam on my seat base, without a cover of any kind, just using the Barge cement.
Cheers

Zweihammer said:
If you are still looking for an adhesive to bond layers of close cell to each other and to a substrate like aluminum, I have always depended on Barge cement. Put it on both faces, let it tack up until it are dry to the touch, put them together and you will have to use a grinder to get them apart again.
For one of my own projects, I am thinking of using just the shaped foam on my seat base, without a cover of any kind, just using the Barge cement.
Cheers

Thank you 2hammers, Barge Cement not available directly in the UK, not on ebay anyway, looks like a heavy duty contact adhesive used in shoe repair etc. Useful to know, thanks for your reply.

I solved the adhesion problem by wrapping the seat in another layer of closedcell yoga mat which provides a waterproof membrane to save the foam from a soaking........still awaiting some news from the upholsterer :)

Progress: Me and my neighbour, Cyril, sparked up my old MIG and stuck the hoop permanently in place.

Here's the obligatory workshop shot with flying sparks....

...and the semi finished item.

Started cleaning the welds up and got the rear guard mounting tabs and rear subframe gussets to weld, think I'll have a practice and do them myself....this MIG lark looks a piece of piss ;)

Good day today, got some done and very pleased with the results...considering it's my first time MIG welding. I've not gone crazy cleaning the welds down to zero, I've left some weld in place, it's on the inside of the fram and won't be seen heheh.

First mock up....

The eagle eyed amongst you lot will notice the mounting tab holes are not aligned....that's 'cos the used guard mounting holes were not aligned either...rather than drill multi holes I thought to just use what was there. Again, all under the seat and out of sight.

The indicators mount through a small web I made and should work OK, snug fit and not too obvious....they need final fettling to get them horizontal.

The forward guard mounting point is a single long bolt through the airfilter box...works well enough, I'll find a spacer in due course.

Gloss black rattle can top coat over a zinc base....proper shed paint job ;)

Couldn't resist a quick mock up with it in paint....anyone who spots a fault will get a poke in the eye haha!

Pleased with my day's efforts....loads still to do, but this stage is a major step forward.

Thanks for checking in.

Masking....

I'm getting frustrated by the lack of progress on this project....sooo......I will dedicate 2-3 hours per end of the day for 3-4 days per week and all day Saturdays for the next 3-4 weeks (where possible, as I do have commitments) to move forward.

Order information
Order Reference No: 215534
2 x Brake pads, Front (£9.00) - £18.00
1 x Brake pads, Rear (£15.00) - £15.00
1 x Oil filter (£8.50) - £8.50
1 x 10W/40 4-stroke semi-synthetic motorcycle oil, 4 Litres (£18.95) - £18.95
1 x Black VHT spray paint (£4.95) - £4.95

Total: £65.40
Delivery: £5.85
Total inc VAT: £85.50

Let's see how I get on.

Very small progress notice.

Used carbs turned up, need a slider/diaphragm out of one choke, total cost £30 delivered = result. One fella on fleabay wanted £23 for a pair of sliders alone...get the fuck out of here mate!!

Awaiting David Silver delivery of brake pads/oil/filter/VHT etc :)

For the sake of an update:

Had evening on the wire wheel, not bad considering the size/shape of it....

Before:

After:

Burnished rather than polished.

Engine is halfway painted (I'll post an image when it's complete).....I have located steel tube to make mudguard stays...looking to relocate the ignition switch....brake pads are in so I can rebuild the wheels/hubs etc. Seat has a change of plan, original upholsterer had to stop work due to a bereavement and family commitments, but I have found another local guy who does work for Williams F1, hope to have it back within 2-3 weeks. That's all for now.....

Back
Top Bottom